News:

• May 05, 2024, 11:22:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: APC Props.  (Read 907 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
APC Props.
« on: July 17, 2006, 05:17:49 AM »
I like the performance and durability of APC props but find it difficult to fit a spinner on them.  Especially a smaller (ex. 1 3/4") spinner.  The hub section on  APC props is quite wide and a good deal of the spinner has to be modified (cut out) to allow it to fit the hub. This causes a problem with balance.  Also, the thickness of the hub takes up so much of the prop shaft when a spinner back plate is included there's only a few threads left for the prop washer and nut.

I  have used a "bullet" style prop nut with  APC props but I use an electric starter on most of my engines and that doesn't work out too well with the starter.

The exception in the APC prop inventory is their 10.5"X 4.5" prop which has a smaller hub section but I can't use that on all of the .35 to .46 engines I have.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: APC Props.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:23:41 AM »
Hi,

It's a lot of trouble, but I have counterbored the front of some APC prop hubs (wood props, too) just enought to allow the use of a small dia. washer/prop nut to be used.

On my very old MVVS RIRE 51, the counterbore is about 1/2 in. dia. and about 3/16 in. deep, this on an APC 12x5 prop.  The shaft on this old engine is somewhat shorter than the later production MVVS .49 Akrobat.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:54:36 AM »
I believe it's SIG that has a spinner designed for the APC props. I bought a couple a year or so ago but my memory sucks.. Might check the SIG web site, whoever it was stated in the description that it would fit the APC.

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »
Yup, it's the Sig spinners which are cut for the APC props.  A small 1.75" spinner may still give you problems but I have an 11-5 with a 2" spinner which fits perfectly.

Very few LHS here carry the Sig spinners - gotta order them.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here