News:

• May 01, 2024, 03:55:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AP .09 with venturi  (Read 657 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AP .09 with venturi
« on: June 24, 2009, 01:02:48 PM »
Ok, I got the ap .09  running today. I'm prsently using a 1/2a fuel. 16% castor oil, 25% nitro. It runs. So far I cannot say how well. I'm using a tach but the readings I get are all over the place. Not sure if the tqach needs work or just batteries or ? who knows. But I have a 8,4, on it and it does run. I'm prolly going to switch the prop to something smaller and see how that acts. wish I had a propeller balancer on hand and a few 7" props. But right now I do not. Boy these AP props are sharp. Cut right through a cloth glove trying to start the sucker.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: AP .09 with venturi
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »

Sand that knife edge off the TE of the blades...doesn't seem to affect the prop efficiency, and saves fingers.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »
Even the Tee Dee .09 would not be happy with an 8" prop, it ran a 7x3.5 .   The AP engines are much happier reving up, so I expect that a 6x4 or 6x5 would be the best bet.  Recheck the instructions and go to the lower end of the prop sizes, especially for break-in.  Tee Dee engines produced a lot of torque to swing relatively large props, they were intended to pull free-flight models straight up.  Yes they would rev, but not like a modern Schneurle engine.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
Ok, I reamed out a ttop flite 6/3and got it running. And it ran through the whole take. Pretty decent at 17-18k I believe.
Then I went to run it a second time hit the prop from behind and broke the blade. oh well, that prop was probally as old as my kids. I put a wood 8/4 on and got it to run out the tank. So I am going to buy some 6"and 7" props. and a prop balance this month.any suggestions on a decent cheap one ?
And hitting the prop stung but thats another reason I prefer not to fly anything bigger.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »
I cut down an Master airscrew 8-4 to about 7.25x4. I balanced it on a q'tip. OK,so it isn't the best way to do it but it's a rough balance. Put it on and the engine ran fairly well. Still needs more breaking in. But when it was running It will definitely pull the Akromaster. I'm sure of that.Maybe next week I'll get to try it.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »
I'm still doing bench runs with the AP .09. so far I'm getting 5 min runs from 1 oz of fuel. does that seem about right ?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here