News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:39:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another prop question  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Another prop question
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »
Hi Randy,

Old Stunt ship Topflite Tutor Profile with a OS Max 35 same vintage. Model is in the process of being built would like to start with the right prop.

Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 04:23:36 PM by Scott Jenkins »
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Another prop question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »
Hi Scott

Is this an OS 35S  or a  35FP?
The 35s would work well with a 10x5 BYO, Rev up Top Flight or similar prop, Also a Clubman 10.5 x 5 would work well too, or maybe a 10 or 11 inch 5 pitch ApC

If it is a stock 35 FP  I would recomend a thin 12x4 or 11 x 4  prop. I would also stay away from the stock muffler. You can use a prop that you can launch the plane in a 2 stroke that will drop right into a fast 4 stroke within the first lap. This will help greatly with the run away problem

Regards
Randy

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 03:44:11 PM »
Hi Randy,
I went back and looked at the engine for the Top Flite Tutor it is a OS MAX S35 plain bearing, single bypass engine new in box never run.  So I guess I am wondering if their is a difference between the S35 and the 35S you mentioned.
If not I will try the 10-5 after it is broken in.  The next question is I am not going to use the stock muffler, I think I threw it away sometime ago, the rest of you stop crying. I am a racer by heart and never had much use for a muffler when I bought this engine 30 years ago. I plan to make a tonque type muffler with say 10 0.093" holes in the end. Should the engine be broke in with or without the muffler in place. Break in prop 9x6 ?, fuel 25% castor, 10% nitro, 65% methanol ??

Thanks again,

Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 04:42:01 PM »
HI Scott

That would be the  old  35 S it sounds like, A  very good  motor, It was  discontinued in 1977, but many are still flying.
I would use a 10 to 10 1\2 inch diameter and  5 to 6 pitch  prop with this  engine

You can use a 10 x 4 prop for break in, run it rich during the breakin, doesn't matter if you use the muffler  or not  for  breakin

Regards
Randy

Willis Swindell

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 02:20:43 PM »
Hi Scott
I thought that you used 8x8 props on everything.
Willis

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
Hi Willis,

You old rascal, how you been. Props, just got done setting up a dozen F2C props and making a mold for a 1/2A prop you saw in action on the engine you told me to put away until, we went tp the NATS many moons ago. I will try to post a picture of my latest 1/2A racer. I built for my boys last week, lets just say it would put a smile on Walt Perkins face. I have been digging out old stuff and putting a few things together for me and the boys to fly, race and speed. Why I even found the old Hot Dogger it stills flys good wish I could keep up with it, I used against Joey down in NC. I have kidded him about getting even alot the last few years. One of these days, I am going to get back up there while on vacation. Might even bring something tame to fly is it OK if I fly the pattern while laying down, Mark was not the only one that could, we used to practice combat that way dang was that fun.

Gotta go still at work Nice to hear from you.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here