News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:38:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ABN or ABC which is better and why?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Greg Nelson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
ABN or ABC which is better and why?
« on: September 28, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
Please forgive me if this is a easy question to answer but I’m new to the control line world. I’ve been flying for almost a year and have acquired a few motors mostly OS FP and LA’s but a few others too, like a couple tower hobby 40’s, magnums, super tiger’s and a few fox 35’s. I run sig champion fuel in everything except the fox’s. I’m trying to learn more about these motors so I don’t ruin them.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: ABN or ABC which is better and why?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:14 PM »
Please forgive me if this is a easy question to answer but I’m new to the control line world. I’ve been flying for almost a year and have acquired a few motors mostly OS FP and LA’s but a few others too, like a couple tower hobby 40’s, magnums, super tiger’s and a few fox 35’s. I run sig champion fuel in everything except the fox’s. I’m trying to learn more about these motors so I don’t ruin them.

All else being equal, probably ABC - it takes longer to break in and settle down, but lasts longer. That's more-or-less irrelevant for stunt, since either one will last, far, far longer than anyone is likely to run it (and we have evidence to that effect).

But - all else *is not* equal. A particular engine comes as either ABC, ABN, iron-liner, or with rings, it's not like you have a choice of which version of a 46LA you get. Pick them based on how they run, then deal with the way it is constructed. It's very unlikely that you will ruin an ABC/ABN engine running conventional fuel, that's why they make them that way- far more forgiving. You fuel choice sounds right to me, SIG Champion works fine in most of those engines, but would not have enough oil for the Fox.

Pick the engines for how they run, don't worry about the type of construction.

And, for once, I will get my shot in first  - I caution you about one thing: some of the engines you have will run well and give modern-quality performance, and some will probably not. Someone will probably tell you about all the great "adjustments" or modifications you want to make to make them run better. That frequently WILL end up with ruined engines. The very last thing you need right now is a modified engine.

Tell us what you want to do and how to you want to proceed.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 08:28:10 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
Thanks in advance for any info.

Greg  The  early FPs  were  Iron piston, steel liners,lapped, The  later ones  are  ANB, aluminum piston, brass sleeve, electroless nickel plating.  The Towers are  all  ABC  with hard chrome, and aluminum piston,
The Magnums are  Chrome, if made in China, and are  Nickle plated if they are early ones made in taiwan.
Fox 35s  are  iron/sleeve if  standard  ones, but  they did make  aluminum piston versions , both in ABC and Ceramic
Champion will be fine in all of these except  the FOX 35. For the  FOX use  28% total oil content, with part of it  synthetic
As Brett  said, they will last you a  very long time, if handled  correctly !

Randy Smith

Offline Greg Nelson

• New Pilot
ABN or ABC which is better and why?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply’s, I really love how helpful everyone in this sport is. It’s such a great community of awesome people.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:19:45 AM by Greg Nelson »

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 03:50:13 AM »
Hello It sounds like the ABN OS engines like the LA46 and 25 are fine for stunt but would not last for racing or combat but some cheaper Magnum,ASP or Tower engines with ABC set ups would be fine under hard use?
Regards Gerald

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 05:30:03 AM »
Myself and Big Al raced an LA .25 at Brodak for 5 years or more. Never touched the motor. Did quite well with it. It was ready for this years event. Guess I got a good one?  TS

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here