News:

• May 02, 2024, 04:58:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 Stroke vs Big Diesels???  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Peter Deane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
4 Stroke vs Big Diesels???
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:49:19 AM »
Hi all-

Anyone have experience operating larger diesels (like 40-49 size)?

It occurred to me that the torque capability and running characteristics of the diesels might be 'reasonably' similar to a 4 stroke of the similar size - with the benefit of fewer moving parts etc etc. (just from a vague concept of more torque available in both types)

PAW makes some large diesels these days (when I was a kid running Olivers and PAWs the biggest was a 19 and the whole concept of a large diesel seemed absurd) and I know the Eifflanders ran them in full size stunters -

but I havent read/heard any reports on vibration, torque, fuel consumption, appropriate propellors, running characteristics, noise etc.

Any one out there know anything? Im thinking of trying one as a power plant to a semiscale aerobatic biplane - a fun project more than a 'serious' stunter, and was thinking about 4 stroke as a power plant then wondered 'why not a big diesel'?

Anyone know why it shouldnt work??

Thanks in advance

Peter

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: 4 Stroke vs Big Diesels???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 05:21:54 PM »
Peter,

Two thoughts:

Diesels are seldom seen in the USA, largely because of the aromas involved. There are a few of us diehards who appreciate the unique manly fragrance, but relatively few of us...

In the UK and Australia there are a few hardy souls who have done quite well with 'large' diesels, notably Tony Eiffelaender (Freebird) in UK and Derek Pickard in Oz. Derek also, and usually, flies glow, however. He's tested the PAW 40TBR and possibly a light frame PAW 60.

By the way, PAW diesels seem much to prefer running when installed sidewinder. Tony E's first Freebird had an inverted installation, and ran well - just made odd noises. The later Freebird was sidewinder, and much happier.

Mid-size diesels do run very well in the ranges useful for stunt.

\BEST\LOU

Offline Peter Deane

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks Lou-

I actually like the smell of diesel - its a heritage thing.....

Any written engine tests available? I guess theres some 90's issues of Aeromodeller but I dont know how to get hold of these....

Any sense for how a 40 diesel will stack up against a 40 4-stroke?

Cheers

Peter

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:46:53 PM »
40 size diesels turn 12 x 6 props around 9,000 RPM, a bit more or less depending.  I have flown a dieselized Tower 40 a good bit.  Was quite happy with it but had crank breakage problems, perhaps due to running 2-oz heavy hub.  Converted it back to glow with 11 x 5 prop.  Cannot say that there was a whole lot of difference in how the airplane flies.  There is a diesel forum on RC universe which has a lot of info.

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 07:01:13 PM »
   Hi Peter,
 I have been chasing info on large Deisels myself and have found out the following...

A Paw .40 should pull a typical .49 -.60 size glow powered model with out too many problems.  ;D

I got in contact with Eric Clutton (aka Dr.Deisel) and he is flying a Veco Chief powered by a Paw .35. He reckons it nearly pulls his arm off on 70' lines! n~

I just purchased a NIB Paw .49 that I will put into a large .60 size stunter.  ~>

Mr Clutton stated that from his tests the .60 Deisel is on par with a .90 4-stroke and that the .49 is not too far behind. The .49 will happily pull a 14x5 prop at about 9000 rpm, so I figure it isn't too far off the pace of perhaps a saito .72 or similar.

I am only guessing, but I imagine that the .40 deisel may have a similar amount of torque to .52 ish size 4-stroke.

In addition to the big Deisel i wish to try out a mid size (.40-.53) 4- stroke in the not too distant future. It would be interesting to compare "apples to oranges".

Hope that some of this helps,

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:14:11 AM »
The best current big diesel is probably the MVVS 49.  Used by several of the South Africans and others.  That third adjustment does take some getting used to, but diesels do run a lot like four strokes.  The adjustable compression lets you get the ignition timing much closer than with a glow motor so it is easier to try different, larger props and get good results.
phil Cartier

Offline Peter Deane

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »
Thanks gents -

How much wind up in manoevers have folks observed with large props, slow revs and moderate pitch on these diesels?

Kind Regards

Peter

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 03:44:46 PM »
I don't recall any windup with the dieselized Tower 40 with 12 x 6.  As a glow engine, it would do some serious wind up on some props.

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 04:25:21 PM »
    Hi Peter,

I don't know for sure as I haven't played with any big Deisels (yet) but, I think that any windup would be less pronounced as the Deisels should be running much closer to their peak torque rpm than a glow engine that has comparable output.

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Peter Deane

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 05:32:50 PM »
Rob

Thats what I was hoping to confirm - I was concerned that with low revs and larger pitch that it might want to run away once it gets chance to unload like in consecutive loops on a windy day - glow plug style.. we use prop/pipe combinations for a given motor to help reduce this on powerful glow motors aka the current tuned pipe setup.

However since on the diesel the ignition timing is essentially adjustable through the compression screw then for a given prop pitch/diameter this might actually stabilize things out and substantially prevent wind-up - Im on shaky ground here and havent done enough reading/thinking to have a considered opinion - I havent had much luck looking for electronic versions of old diesel engine tests to compare with glow engines, and the timing of ports etc seems hard to find out .

Any thoughts on this??

Anyway,  for now it looks like the best way is to try it and see!!

All the best

Peter

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 02:06:48 AM »
  Hi Peter,

I'm not sure that there will be much engine test data from the "good old days" that relates to large Deisels, as the bigger Deisel engines seem to be a reasonably recent phenomena. (I think most big deisels were used in boats?)

If you find anything of interest please share it with the forum as I (and others I presume) would be keen to see it.

I have been looking for big Deisel info myself and will post any findings as they come to hand.

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 10:40:39 AM »
Rob

Thats what I was hoping to confirm - I was concerned that with low revs and larger pitch that it might want to run away once it gets chance to unload like in consecutive loops on a windy day - glow plug style.. we use prop/pipe combinations for a given motor to help reduce this on powerful glow motors aka the current tuned pipe setup.

However since on the diesel the ignition timing is essentially adjustable through the compression screw then for a given prop pitch/diameter this might actually stabilize things out and substantially prevent wind-up - Im on shaky ground here and havent done enough reading/thinking to have a considered opinion - I havent had much luck looking for electronic versions of old diesel engine tests to compare with glow engines, and the timing of ports etc seems hard to find out .

Any thoughts on this??

Anyway,  for now it looks like the best way is to try it and see!!

All the best

Peter

OHMIGOD!  The term Greasy Pete is about to take on an entirely new ... um, er ... aroma!  Our poor field will never be the same.  n~ n~ n~

Ted "Holding his nose" Fancher

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 11:07:45 AM »
Peter,
To  your Post#9:

In Derek Pickard's test of the PAW 40TBR, in Stunt News several years ago, he said much the same as is repeated here. They can be set to an RPM and it doesn't seem to matter uphill, downhill or lingering up top. (In my experience, you can hear a subtle increase in "stress" in prolonged figures up top, but well within the engine's compass.)

A factor explaining both the economy and rev limiting in medium-large sport diesels is that their port passages are quite small. They don't flush vast amounts of air through, as is needed to burn methanol-based fuels. The diesel's power comes more from a higher heat energy basic fuel component - kerosene, than from a higher quantity of a lower heat energy fuel component - methanol. Setting a diesel is trickier than setting a glow, because of methanol's tolerance to a slightly 'off' needle since you're still going to burn quite a bit of it.

For the deodorized among us Yank fliers, the objectionable times are starting and launching, unless you use a really rank kerosene in the fuel. With a clean kerosene, the exhaust is nearly odorless, or more like the steam smell of an old-fashioned neighborhood hand laundry - if you're old enough to recall that...

But, for starting, launching and recovery, we have to impose upon other greasy-rag types if available, or beg the indulgence of one of our white-shoes/pants/airplanes buddies...  :)

The only negative I've heard, once you get past the smell matter, anyway: A British flier who was discussing diesels in stunt answered a simple question: "How do you tank to get a consistent stopping time?"  He answered, "You can't, really. You just do as best you can on that."

A 'click' on the needle could mean an extra 30 seconds of power, I guess. It's not so bad in the USA with the 8-minute flight limit, but I can see that would be of concern for FAI's 7-minute limit.

Also, I think on on RC Universe's CL forum, there's a thread on a modeller starting out with diesel. Good first steps stuff, and he sounds quite pleased, now. ...After a frustrating beginning...

\BEST\LOU

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 01:58:42 PM »
For an (almost) vibration free diesel, I believe you can now order a nice 40 diesel opposed twin from PAW. I heard £300.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 03:00:39 PM »
One of the guys in our club, old Ollie, since passed away bless his soul, had a PAW49, I think.  Anyway, a big diesel.  It flew a big plane just fine.  But he did manage to kill a lot of grass starting it.  Diesel fuel is a lot harder on the grass than glow fuel.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »
I've run some diesels and was of the same mind a few years ago. There are some issues with diesels, but especially if you are trying to use it in a contest situation. You gotta warm it up before your flight. You'll be unpopular in the pits, if you do that. Next problem is run time...likely to be much less consistent than a glow, with more adjustments and much less fuel consumed. If you're off a 1/4 oz with a diesel, you under/over run. AMA rules have always allowed engine shutoffs, but FAI didn't, for quite awhile. Shutoffs are now allowed again in FAI, and there are several ways to make them work, tho not all are allowed by FAI rulz. I also have some information on a fuel tank that automatically shuts off the engine after too many level laps. Ideal for a multi-engined stunter, OBTW.
:! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Peter Deane

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 04:06:31 PM »
OHMIGOD!  The term Greasy Pete is about to take on an entirely new ... um, er ... aroma!  Our poor field will never be the same.  n~ n~ n~

Ted "Holding his nose" Fancher

Be afraid, Ted, be very afraid........Ill be passing round the ether to keep all you Nats Champs sedated while I fly.....

It does sound an interesting experiment to me (diesels that is, though watching you and Brett staggering around from too much ether might be entertaining). From old engine reports the torque curve of the diesels is a bit steeper and they are unable to achieve the revs that modern glows allow so I think they might actually do quite well for stunt with less potential for windup - a different approach to stabilizing the power run perhaps? I think I need to try it and see.

Im also seriously considering driving PTG apoplectic by building an old british diesel combat model. Replica Oliver Tiger III powered no less. Why not upset everyone at once??

You think he'd teach me how to fly it? As long as someone else launched it he might be game.....the sheer nostalgia of it all might encourage him to grow his happenin afro 'do' back. (remember the 80's??)

GP

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »
No, you do not have to warm up your diesel in the pits. Urban legend.  If your diesel is set to the running settings; you hit it with the starter and walk out to the handle.  By the time you get organized to take off your diesel should be reasonably warmed up and running well.  If it burps a couple times in the level laps, no foul.  

Because diesels are more fuel economical than glow engines, you need not to fiddle with the needle.  A very slight change will make a much greater change in run time than a glow person will expect.  I have also found, that as I run particular engines, which seem broken in and run fine, that as flights go on, the running compression needs to back off a hair and the fuel economy may increase noticeably.    These are both incremental and should not change enough on a contest day to make a difference.

One caveat.  Diesel fuel seems to me to be more expansive/contractive with temperature than glow fuel.  So it is a good idea to keep your diesel fuel at a constant temperature.  I have had the experience of not being able to get through the pattern on a really hot day.  I put my squeeze bulb of fuel on ice and solved that problem.  ;D

The diesel reviews I have seen show a relatively flat torque curve.  Whether you lose more in HP than you gain in efficiency by running a bigger prop is a good question to approach empirically.  I have flown St G20-15 diesels a lot.  I started out running 9 x 4's which preformed OK.  They tach about 12,000 on the ground. Read a review which said peak HP at 15,000.  Went to 8 x 4's which turn 14,000 on the ground.  Better performance and the engines seem much happier.

Offline Peter Deane

• New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 04:30:27 PM »
I've run some diesels and was of the same mind a few years ago. There are some issues with diesels, but especially if you are trying to use it in a contest situation. You gotta warm it up before your flight. You'll be unpopular in the pits, if you do that. Next problem is run time...likely to be much less consistent than a glow, with more adjustments and much less fuel consumed. If you're off a 1/4 oz with a diesel, you under/over run. AMA rules have always allowed engine shutoffs, but FAI didn't, for quite awhile. Shutoffs are now allowed again in FAI, and there are several ways to make them work, tho not all are allowed by FAI rulz. I also have some information on a fuel tank that automatically shuts off the engine after too many level laps. Ideal for a multi-engined stunter, OBTW.
:! Steve

Steve - thanks - I knew someone must have tried this - warm-up I can handle - even now the big shots burp their firebreathing take-your-finger-off-in-a-nanosecond motors to remove accumulated oil from the pipe headers.

Consistent engine run is something that I was thinking about simply because there are more variables - compression/timing as well as needle setting and humidity/density altitude. But it strikes me that this variablity could also be an advantage if its well understood.

Run timing is another matter - im VERY interested in finding out more about these options - the FF power guys have used these timers for years - all we'd have is a longer time.... if AMA and FAI allow shutoffs now seems like this would be the 'sledgehammer' answer. Any details on how these work??

Sounds like an excellent idea for separate post....

Cheers!

Peter

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »
I do think that diesels are more individualistic and idiosyncratic than glow engines.  If you are going to fool with diesel, and do not have a diesel guru at hand, figure that it is going to take more effort to get it like you want it than you would expect with a glow engine.  A diesel guru at hand will cut the fiddling time down some, but probably still more than with a glow engine.   ::) I've been flying diesels in Old Time Stunt airplanes for about twelve years now (still flying glow as well) and I often preface my remarks with the phrase, "What I think this week about diesels is..."

Flying diesels is a good way to be peculiar.  Most people have never seen a diesel powered airplane fly; much less see one fly well.  PAMPA rules now give a 5 point bonus for flying diesel in Old Time Stunt.  Time to time, I think it should be 50 points. :'(

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 05:38:23 AM »
Personally, from my experience with Diesels, I don't care for them, especially one particular brand.   HB~>

The one's I've had the best results with have been Webra and MVVS.  j1 j1

BUT, for anyone concerned with Diesel vs 4-stroke, there is now a 4S Diesel - the ENYA .41 4S-D. Looks like a regular 4S but with a strange gadget in a place formerly occupied by the glow plug.

No info on price or availability.  ???

Bob Z.

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 10:51:42 PM »
  Hi Bob,
 I saw the Enya 4c deisel elsewhere on another forum.

Would be very interested to see how they go.
 Knowing Enya, I'd guess they would be excellent! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
I am getting ready to try to fly a PAW .29DS in my Barnstormer. I'm concerned with the high placement of the NVA in the venturi when the plane is upside down. I hope the engine isn't too fussy about mixture.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 08:41:11 PM »
There is an argument, from Al Rabe and Ted Fancher, I think, that the critical thing is not where the spraybar is, but the position of some critical  center of suction or some such in the engine.  They have experimental data to support their argument.  However, my experience with uniflow tanks is that the uniflow needs to be very near the same height as the hole in the spraybar. 

I think you'll just have to give it a try and see how your set up works.  I wouldn't start moving the spraybar around on speculation.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here