News:

• May 05, 2024, 09:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 Stroke question-solved sort of  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
4 Stroke question-solved sort of
« on: July 27, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »
I've fallen back to my number 3 airplane after engine problems in the number 2 plane. And have now have yet another engine issue. Just not my year, I guess. The plane is powered with a Saito 56. This setup ran pretty well previously, but has sat in the box (in a Ziploc bag, engine well oiled) for probably a year. I cleaned it up and put it in the plane along with a clunk tank of the same vent design used previous, though not the same tank. This is a new unit. All this worked fine previously.

So, I put 4.375oz in the fuel tank (previous amount needed to fly a pattern),  prime the engine and flip. What I got was what you get when you burp a pipe plane. A quick wow! Start and stop like it starved. I keep repeating this process, all the while opening the needle. Started at about where I ran it before; around 3 turns out. At about 6 turns out, it finally starts and stays started...for about 20 seconds. I diconnected the battery and picked the plane up. Seemed to be running OK, but as soon as I tip the nose up it quits. Hmmm.

So I continue to mess with it. Got it started again several times and tried various positions. Same thing. The last time I started it and just held the plane level. It ran for about 45 seconds, pretty steady, then sagged a little and quit.

If feels like a starvation problem. Perhaps just a bad NVA? The engine had been stored without the NVA in place. I put an ST unit in (this is what was in before). It could be an air leak or just a bad NVA, I suppose. Any ideas on this?

I also thought it could just be bad fuel, so I cracked open a brand new gallon and tried that, Same thing, so I'm thinking this is a fuel delivery problem.

Oh, probably should say the venturi setup is my own design. Worked fine previously. a .310 venturi with ST NVA through the middle. OS 4 stroke plug. First fuel was some Powermaster 20/20 that I used previously in this engine (not year old fuel, just the same type). The new fuel was Wildcat 10/23.

Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:15:23 PM by Randy »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: 4 Stroke question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:11:49 PM »
I would pull it out and put it on a test stand to see if the problem was the engine or tank.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »
I pulled the engine and tank out and put them on the test stand. The good news is, it does the same thing so it's something to do with the setup, not the plane. I suspect and airleak. Pressure checked the tank and no leaks. Also checked the fuel line and filter. Again, no leaks. I'm going to pull the needle valve assembly out and replace it with another unit and try it again. We'll see what we get.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 03:47:40 AM »
I pulled the engine and tank out and put them on the test stand. The good news is, it does the same thing so it's something to do with the setup, not the plane. I suspect and airleak. Pressure checked the tank and no leaks. Also checked the fuel line and filter. Again, no leaks. I'm going to pull the needle valve assembly out and replace it with another unit and try it again. We'll see what we get.

Randy since you plan to pull the NVA perhaps you could remove the filter first and run the fuel feed straight through.  This should eliminate all doubts about the filter.

:)!
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Eric Viglione

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »
Randy - My list would be - Make sure the crank case breather is not plugged, or partially plugged. Check your intake valve lash. Maybe you "adjusted" it before you bagged it, and set the lash too loose? Other than that, it would have to be a fuel draw issue somewhere between the spray bar to the tank and all plumbing/filters etc in should be flushed, replaced, checked over etc.
Let us know how it works out.

EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:11:12 AM »
The verdict is in. Bent exhaust pushrod. Possibly bent valve. Sigh...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Alan Hahn

Re: 4 Stroke question-solved sort of
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:30:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what caused the bent pushrod?

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 11:26:47 PM »
Not a clue. After trying to get the engine to run, I went to adjust the valves. I had to spin in the adjuster to the point thea the locking nut wouldn't engage before I got it near the appropriate lash. Took it apart and the exhaust pushrod is definately bent. So, new pushrods, I'll check the valve to be sure the valve isn't also bent and try to track down a cam adjusting tool. Sigh... Luckily, I have another one and it seems to run fine.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:11:53 AM »
Sounds like a piston strike...

New valves should solve it, providing the stem bushings were not damaged. The lube on the valve stems might have gummed to the point that positive cam pressure would open them, yet the gumming might not have let spring pressure close them  far enough to clear the piston at TDC.

I 'happened into' a MAGNUM 52 4C that had severely gummed valves AND deposits on the valve seats that prevented full closing. Fortunately, tho not cheaply for what I'd paid for the engine, a fresh head - with valves installed - was available from the importer/primary USA agent. Cam, pushrods, etc., were in good shape, and it sounds like a runner. Weather and a few other things have delayed bench proofing of the rebuild, but it makes the 'right' click-click when the shaft is turned through. BTW, the head on the engine as received had the threads for the exhaust pipe broken away.

I'm looking forward to trying this one out, even in 'lashed full throttle' condition. From some experience with an OS 40 4C (the original, wimpy one) I expect that the massive exhaust pressure from 4C engines will help with most fuel delivery problems...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 08:01:08 AM »
Randy – first off, the SAITO carries a 3-year warrantee and Horizon Hobby is EXCELLENT with their service and warrantee work. I would send it to them. I had a SAITO .50 that had been overevved in an RC bird. Apparently the guy put it into a full-throttle dive and the prop windmilled and spooled the engine up fast enough to float the valves. :X

If you do the work yourself and need to make the cam setting tool, I have all the info.

Lou – no matter what anyone tells you, the Non-Surpass OS .40 is by no means wimpy. Of the dozen or so engines I’ve had on the prototype ARF Cardinal, it’s by far the best. It starts easily, needs no muffler, needs around two ounces for the pattern and has an incredible fuel draw. It is the most user-friendly 4S engine I’ve ever flown.
It like lots of nitro and prop pitch. I use Powermaster 20/20 and a Master Airscrew 11-7 plastic prop. IDEAL combination. y1

Bob Z.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 04:45:46 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I may just send it off the Horizon. Good Idea!

While I have your attention. The other Saito 56 has an interesting problem. It runs fine, but in level flight, I get some rpm fluctuation. The rpm wanders around (300-400 rpm) in level flight. You can hear it sort of going up and down without pattern. Seems to have plenty of power in the maneuvers and runs fine, but that seeming inability of the engine to hole a consistent rpm is troublesome. It does the same thing on the test stand. Plane uses a clunk tank and I tried the same tank on the test stand. Does the same thing. Also does it with the usually test stand tank.

I like this engine, but the floating rpm bothers me.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 10:00:37 AM »
Sounds like your venturi/needle is leaking air, seen stock carbs wired open do the same thing.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 04:30:56 PM »
Bob,

That's what I thought and put in a new PA style NVA and resealed everything (soft silicon washers on the NVA where it contacts the venturi. Resealed the venturi to the intake tube, too. But it continues to wander.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Eric Viglione

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »
I had an OS do that, chased it forever. Seemed to run fine otherwise, it just always sounded odd. Finally noticed one day when I removed the backplate that the case had a hairline crack right under the motor lug, lengthwise, parallel to it (not easy to see!). Moved guts to new case, problem solved. Bottom line, it was sucking air and loosing crank case seal. Check your backplate gasket I guess is a good place to start as any, then any other gasketed area after that.

EricV

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 07:31:25 AM »
Hi, Eric - with what model OS did you have that problem?

Bob Z.

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
I had an OS do that, chased it forever. Seemed to run fine otherwise, it just always sounded odd. Finally noticed one day when I removed the backplate that the case had a hairline crack right under the motor lug, lengthwise, parallel to it (not easy to see!). Moved guts to new case, problem solved. Bottom line, it was sucking air and loosing crank case seal. Check your backplate gasket I guess is a good place to start as any, then any other gasketed area after that.

EricV

Interesting. The Saito engines I have all vent the crankcase to atmosphere by design. Most four stroke engines don't tolerate pressurization of the case very well. Was this engine a two stroke OS?
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 12:04:16 PM »
Dick - that is why I addressed the question to Eric. On a 2S engine, any crankcase leak produces run problems in that the case is a conduit for the fuel/air mixture. Disturb it and the run quality suffers.

On a 4S engine, the crankcase is vented to atmosphere - an intentionally leak. In a 4S engine, crankcase pressure would reduce the amount of piston ring blow-by, thus inhibiting lubrication. Remember, our engines nave no lubrication sump per se. Instead, ALL lubrication is derived from the residual fluid (mostly oil) that passes the ring(s).

If you look at the older 4S engines, most of them had the breather nipple in the backplate. The newer and more powerful variants have the nipple in front of the rear bearing. This insures that any flow of lubricant exiting the case must first pass by the bearing. It will also get into the cam drive gears and be flung around to the remainder of the valve gear.

Here's a trick I use - whenever I buy a 4S engine, new or used, I remove the valve cover(s) and flood the valve gear with oil. I also squirt a teaspoonfull into the breather nipple and wrap a rag around it to catch the oil. Flipping the prop a few times insures that all is wet inside. When I start it, the excess just burbles out.

I forgot to mention - when I have the cover off, I check valve clearance. I have seen new ones with none. Better a bit on the loose side for run-in.

Bob Z.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 07:48:19 PM »
Sorry, I didn' t notice this thread, I've been "in the shop". Yeah, it was a 2 stroke, FP35. But I still believe that even a 4-stroke can only stand so much crank case venting without hurting the run, and the breather nipple is therefore sized and placed appropriatlely from Saito. 4stroke fuel draw is iffy enough as it is.  At least that's my gut feeling. I'd still check.

EricV

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 04:18:39 PM »
I pulled it out last night and went over it pretty closely. No cracks (as far as I can tell). I am fitting up a new venturi with a better seal around the intake manifold. I think it may be leaking there.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here