News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 stroke engines  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
4 stroke engines
« on: February 19, 2006, 10:37:51 AM »
I have never owned a 4 stroker. I know very little about them, except I've heard there less messy and get great fuel milage. I have been looking at the Magnum 52 and the new 61 price is what I saw first. I've mainly heard about the Saito brand and the 56 is nice. For the money and power what is the best buy? If I buy one from a C/L dealer like Randy are these already set up for C/L? What type of fuel do you use? glow plugs? Props I imagine are a feeling out process.  Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim P

• New Pilot
Re: 4 stroke engines
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 06:06:58 PM »
Lee:
Like you I have never owned one. The people in Dallas have had quite a bit of experience with Saito's and offer a pricey venturi set up said to be the cat's meow. For a look go to Ultra Hobbies:

http://www.egpworld.com/ultrahobby/catalog/CLACCESSORIES.htm
Windy and Bob Zambelli also have a great deal of knowledge on them.
Seems they are not the rage among the top 20 as they were a couple of years ago.
My observations are that for every guy merrily 4 stroking along, there are 3 more guys in the pits trying to work out the bugs with their 4 strokers.
They seem to be real bad about shucking props.
They are heavy, pricey compared to a similar 2 stroke, and with the pushrods and all hanging out ,a crash into a hard surface is almost certain engine damage. Conversely, a two stroke with spinner into the asphalt has at least a 50% chance of surviving(depending on a lot of things of course)
Opinions, like other things, are something that everyone has. If you think it would be fun, get some good advice and go for it.
Jim
Please repair all divots

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:52:23 AM »
I concur with Jim's observations, and would remark that of the many that I know that have purchased 4-strokes, the only person that had any luck at all with a MAGNUM is Phil Spillman and his was with a .30. They seem to lack quality....Save up for a Saito or an OS if you really have the itch....

Just my thoughts

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:37:50 AM »
Hi Leester

Many people sing them are  using the  motor as is with the carb set open to differnt degrees.
Other  replace the carb with a venturi and  NVA. the later seems to be a better setup for C\L
There are quite a few  Using MAGNUMS  and  Thunder Tigers, however the class of these  motors  are  the OS  and  Saito engines.

Regards
Randy

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 02:39:31 PM »
While shopping around a LHS on my route has a Saito FA 40? I know it's a 40 something didn't look to much with a price tag of 194.95. I can't find this model engine on any site I've seen, so I figure it's an older one. Anybody know if and when these where discontinued? I have been able to deal on prices with him in the past any suggestions on a offering price? Last what plane size would this be for or what 2 stroke engine is this combarable with?  Thanks
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 05:14:41 PM »
Four strokes are a different breed of animal.  They will swing bigger props at lower RPM.  The thing I liked was if needle was pushed to far towards the lean side it would quit.  Also found out muffler pressure was not needed.   They will not turn the RPM of a two stroke, but, they do give tremendous milage.   ---DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »
I learned one thing about 4 Strokes: once you get it working, don't mess with it. I had a perfect run going and started messing to "improve" it. Never did get back to that great run. When it's on, it's awsome. When it's not, it's a pain.

I think a 2 stroke engine is more repeatable. At least for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 03:32:56 PM »
I looked at the engine a little more yesterday, it's a FA-45. I'll ask again what 2 stroke engine would you replace with this? And what size plane would this be suited for?
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 04:48:28 PM »
I looked at the engine a little more yesterday, it's a FA-45. I'll ask again what 2 stroke engine would you replace with this? And what size plane would this be suited for?

Hi leester,
Seems like the guys who have the most "history" with these are on vacation.  ;D
I have never used one, but I saw the Saito 56 being used in place of engines, like a ST 60, in some designs at the '04 WC.....  The 45 I have no clue about.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here