News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4 Stroke .40 size engines  (Read 623 times)

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
4 Stroke .40 size engines
« on: February 28, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »
Bruce – In the past 8 or so years, I have done considerable experimenting with many 4S engines, among them were 4 different 40s.

Here is a bit of a capsule review of the 40s:

SAITO .40 – a nice, smooth running engine that was overweight for its somewhat marginal power output. Good for low-key sport flying and not much more.   Z@@ZZZ
Long out of production.

OS Surpass .40 – an incredibly powerful engine that tends to be a bit temperamental   :X but when it’s on, the power will drag a very heavy plane around with authority. It pulls my 57-ounce Euclid with no effort. It hates props and will throw one at you every chance it gets.   VD~
I fabricated a special drive washer for mine.
Thirstier than any other 4S .40 I’ve tried.
I would compare the pulling power to that of a Super Tigre .46.
It presently swings an 11 1/2 - 6 1/2 prop.

SAITO .40A – I think this engine offers the best all-around combination of power to weigh, compactness, fuel economy and user friendliness. The interesting thing is how well it works in a variety of applications. I’ve had it on a Nobler, P-40 profile and the prototype ARF Cardinal. I’ve spoken to quite a few people who have tried it in other planes with good results.  #^ #^

OS Non-Surpass .40 – this is probably the most perfect running engine I’ve ever owned. Not up to the power of the Surpass .40 or SAITO .40A but its running characteristics are so smooth and steady that it’s an absolute pleasure to fly. I’ve had around 12 different engines on the prototype ARF Cardinal and this is by far my favorite. Swinging an 11-7 Master Airscrew plastic prop, it does the pattern on just under two ounces of 20/22/50-50 fuel. Without a muffler, it’s so quiet that the prop noise can be heard above the exhaust.  ;D
If you ever have the opportunity to score one of these at a swap, go for it.  y1 y1

ENYA .40 – I have not run this one yet but it is a very early version with open rocker arms. I have the plans for a Boxcar Chief – that will be its home.  D>K

Hope this helps.

Bob Z.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:48:43 AM by Bob Zambelli »

Offline Jimmy R. Jacobs

• Lieutenant
Re: 4 Stroke .40 size engines
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
  Thanks Bob
     Had a opportunity to get two OS 40 non-surpass at a very good price and passed, next time I'll know what I'm looking at .

Thanks again Jimmy

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »
Can you show a couple of pics of the non-surpass OS 40?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 08:32:52 PM »
The good news about the Saito 40A it is fabulously nice. The bad news, it is just too nice to fly lol  ::)

Really, the motor is a piece of jewelry. Going to get some more from Kaz soon.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:51:01 AM »
Gordon - here are some pictures of the non-Surpass .40.

Bob Z.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here