News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:22:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 30 4 stroke engines for control line  (Read 2250 times)

Offline bob lindsay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
30 4 stroke engines for control line
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:38:19 AM »

Has anyone used a 30 OS OR 30 Magnum for control line ? What were the results?

bob lindsay

Offline mike donovan

• Lieutenant
Re: 30 4 stroke engines for control line
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:10:58 AM »
I bought a magnum 30 four stroke about a year ago and put it on a ringmaster. it was a disaster, could not hand start it because it had almost no compression, had to use an electric starter. when i got it running it was totally inconsistent, i tried everything to make it run good but i finally gave up and sold it to an rc guy. the rc guys were flying a couple of the magnun 30s and they were running just like mine did. apparently they did not care how it ran. I have not had experience with other makes of 4 strokes but I think I will stay with 2 strokes  after that experience

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
Hi from France ..... I read a very good article in 'Control Line World ' written by Bob Dixon regarding the use of R/C 4-Strokes for C/L.
He was advocationg you can get a satisfactory stunt run without the need to exchange the R/C carb' for a conventional Venturi set-up.
I bought an un-run Magnum 30 off the infamous E-Bay and set to work running it in carefully , as I'd never tried a 4-stroke before.

A Graupner 9x5 , 20% lube [ 17% synthetic / 3% added castor ] was used for bench running-in. She was happy to run at around 2 turns open on the needle  at around 8,000 rpm.
After around 75 minutes of shortish runs she felt just right. I'm a luddite when it comes to running-in new engines !
Oh .....Unlike the previous contributor I never needed an electric starter. 4-strokes need to be well primed as you probably know , this you can do by just blocking the silencer outlet if you can't get to the carb'.
I built an airframe to install the Magnum [ sidewinder /profile] , and fitted a uniflow tank without exhaust pressure , around 2 ounces.
The R/C carb' was 'wired' fully open.
I reckoned a Master 10x6 would be a good prop to start with , and off we go to the field.
Getting to know an new engine by carefull running in always pays off !

A good prime and after a couple of flicks off she went with 2 and a quarter turns open [using the same fuel as the running-in fuel] and the tach showing I think around 8,600 / 8,700.

The tank lasted about 9/10 minutes and the engine didn't falter. Oh .... and what a noise , or lack of it !

In summary , the  Magnum 30 [ or the ASP or Super Custom Brands ] is a little gem . Easy to get to know well , easy to start , well made and great value.
Wouldn't hesitate in recommending one !

Or , maybe Ive been just lucky !

Kind regards from the Charente in France from an ex-pat Brit !

Robin

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Haven't heard of anyone having any luck with any of the Magnum 4 strokes. One of our club members loaned me a Magnum 53? and one of these days we are going to see if applying my Saito tricks to it will make it run. No experience with the OS 30 but the older 26 was a good engine..

If you haven't bought anything yet try to get your hands on a Saito 30. Follow Bob Z's lock the throttle with a low pitch and 10% fuel approach or my modified carb, high pitch and 20% fuel. Bob is happy with his runs and I like the way mine run. Either way you can't loose.

Added: Robin and I must have hit send at close to the same time.. Now we have one good report on the Magnum..

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »

Has anyone used a 30 OS OR 30 Magnum for control line ? What were the results?

bob lindsay

I have no experience with either the OS or Magnum, but on the recommendation of Bob Zambelli, I've acquired several Saito .30's. I'll also mention that Pat Johnston has developed his C/L conversion for the Saito .eo, similar to the one for the Saito .40. They are available for $25. The parts are a unit to replace the throttle barrel, with a nylon screw opposite the NVA for choke area adjustment. Very clean design.

Anyhow, one Saito .30 goes on a U-Key .35 today, then one on a Humbug (I think) and two (with throttle) on an
F-82.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »
    Hi Bob

I have several OS .30's set up for C/L.  The newer ones run very strong - a bit fast- but seem to be easy to start and dependable.   I have one EXTREMELY WORN OS .30 I used on a Super clown.   The plane was light and it ran a nice slow flight with plenty of power for manuvers on 56' lines.

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
My one and only 4-stroke was a Saito 30 some time ago.  Tried to fly it in an OTS Dragon. Tried several props and fuel, but couldn't get much out of it.  So I swapped for a Fox 35, and it had more power.  Now, that's something! (p.s. the Fox is from L&J with all the bells & whistles)

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »
So I swapped for a Fox 35, and it had more power.  Now, that's something! (p.s. the Fox is from L&J with all the bells & whistles)
Floyd

Know what you mean - - I have a couple of the L&J's myself, both with the Smith/Nelson Hi-Zoot crank - - Larry builds nice engines!
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »
Hi All, Several years ago I bought a Magnum .30 4C and after having run it about an hour I mounted it on a Ringmaster Sterling heavy, not light by any means! I put a 9 X 4 APC prop on it, used an electric starter and off we went! It flew with authority and strength! I kept that combination together until I flew it in very heavy wind and bent the plane a little! Had the stock carb wired wide open just and Mr. Francaise did and mine worked well too! I have had a mixed love affair with the 4C engines viz. Satio worked well, OS .40 pre surpass was wimpy save for 20 20 all synthetic fuel, and the Surpass .40 an unreliable Bi Polar engine! One day up the same day down! I think I'll try an FP .35! Phil Spillman   
Phil Spillman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here