News:

• May 09, 2024, 08:04:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-bolt backplate, Fox 19 Stunt...  (Read 808 times)

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
3-bolt backplate, Fox 19 Stunt...
« on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:41 PM »
I've had one of these since the beginning that had a bad piston/cylinder set.  I never have found the parts to restore that one but after buying several more off Ebay I think I've finally got a few that should run. 

Anyone that has experience with these engines want to tell me how I should set them up, and how I should run them?  Props?  Fuel capacity required for a typical pattern? etc...

Thanks in advance.

PS: A 19 is almost a 20... so I could use 10% nitro, 2030 muffler, APC 9x4 prop, and tach it to 11,300 rpm... Right?  >:D  I am just kidding. 

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: 3-bolt backplate, Fox 19 Stunt...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »
  I have several and a goodly stock of parts. I put one in my OT stunter (Testors Senior 29) and ran 9 X 5 and 8 X 6 wood props.  Uniflow tank (home made to fit the plane) 7 1/2% nitro and 29% oin (mostly castor).  K B 1L plug and 62 feet of .015 cable. E-Z Just hot rock handle.  Run it in a soft two, or a hard four.  Hot restarts were not much of a problem.  It was just easy to flood the engine when it was hot. Then you got a load of oil in the case as the volitiles all evaporated away. 

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 3-bolt backplate, Fox 19 Stunt...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 10:25:03 PM »
My original one was a .201, which was actually a .19, but stamped .201 on the case for "B" Free Flight use. Duke was devious.

I first flew this engine on a Ramrod 600 with a TF nylon 10-3.5 and MissleMist. I found it would climb at a rather subdued rate with this prop. Changed to a 9-4, and it really improved the climb and power pattern a lot. Later, I came onto a screaming deal on a Veco Warrior for $10, and I put the .201 on it. I knew little about stunt, but had flown a lot of combat, and knew what I wanted. Slow, steady speed. The 10-3.5 worked well, tho probably a wood version clipped a half inch would have been better. I flew it on 60' .010" solids.

It was tailheavy, and would do very sharp corners, so before long, I was doing square vertical 8's. Didn't know there was no such thing in the pattern, and really didn't care. The 3 bolt Fox .19, IMO, is the best all around engine Fox made, tho a .201 or .25 would have been just fine. I currently have one .19 in good shape that is intended for a Carl Goldberg "Cumumulus" FF gassie. Cool design....
 8)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here