News:

• May 12, 2024, 02:02:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 blade props for BSE RO-Jett 76  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
3 blade props for BSE RO-Jett 76
« on: June 04, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
Hello,
Will 3 blade 14" x 3.75" work well with this engine?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Matt

Walter Hicks

Re: 3 blade props for BSE RO-Jett 76
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
Matt this is not a high rpm engine so you will need more pitch. Try 4.5 or more It does not like to go over 10,000 rpm see other posts on this.
It will indeed haul around a 14 prop no problem it is very different from the RO Jett 61 or even 65. Windy U and Richard Oliver liked theirs at around 8,4000+ rpm. The Ro Jett .61 is primarily for pipes only, 65 also , 67 is more versatile, he 76 is lower rpm that 61,0r 65.There are plenty of posts
regarding this engine. Lots of torque.These engines run well when set up correctly. When you try to reinvent the wheel ( meaning there are proven
ways to set these up ) it will likely not be to your liking

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:52:24 AM »
That's real news.  The RO-Jett 61 BSRE is supplied with a muffler, which works really well.  There is no doubt a tuned pipe on this engine gives a different stunt run, but the stock muffler run also works well.  The instructions do not specify using a only pipe  with this engine.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Walter Hicks

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »
Matt this is not a high rpm engine so you will need more pitch. Try 4.5 or more It does not like to go over 10,000 rpm see other posts on this.
It will indeed haul around a 14 prop no problem it is very different from the RO Jett 61 or even 65. Windy U and Richard Oliver liked theirs at around 8,4000+ rpm. The Ro Jett .61 is primarily for pipes only, 65 also , 67 is more versatile, he 76 is lower rpm that 61,0r 65.There are plenty of posts
regarding this engine. Lots of torque.These engines run well when set up correctly. When you try to reinvent the wheel ( meaning there are proven
ways to set these up ) it will likely not be to your liking

Please read primarily, talk to Brett Buck, Richard Oliver will tell you the same it was not stated that you cannot use a muffler, Pete Cunha uses
a muffler, what I was stating was that the RO Jett 61,65,67, and 76 are all very different engines so to clarify my statement said primarily not only!!!!

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Thank you all.

I am planning to use my RO-Jett 76 with header/muffler provided by Dub Jett.

Walter,
The 14" dia. prop you wrote about...is it 2 blade or 3 blade?

8,400 launch RPM sounds good for me but, again, 2 blade or 3 blade prop?

4.5" pitch makes sense with 8,400 launch RPM and high torque but, again, 2 blade or 3 blade prop?

I have a chance to get 13 x 4.5, 3 blade props and need to know if they will work with this engine?

Thanks,
M

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
Matt...If the 13 x 4.5 props are 3 blade and CF, I'd pounce on them like a duck on a junebug if the blades are fairly wide. You can pitch them up an inch if you have to. Yes, you'll need a pitch gauge to do this, and they're not particularly easy to come by. Last I heard was that the Resinger/Cox Conglomerate has had some made, but I haven't seen any. I'll ask this weekend, if I live that long.  y1 Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:09:48 PM »
Steve,
I feel 13x5, 3 blade would be ideal for this engine with Jett's header/muffler and using launch RPM ~8600.
Windy used this engine with 14x4 3 blade and later 13x4 3 blade props with slightly higher RPM.

Perhaps 13x4 1/4" 3blade I can get will work adequately without re-pitching?

I believe the pitch should be constant for such props but other people claim the decreasing pitch is better ( larger close to the axis, smaller towards the tips ).

What is your opinion in this matter?

Thanks,
Matt

P.S: I spent almost 10 years in the Washington State, in Bellingham, working for Heath Tecna as a stress guy.

Walter Hicks

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:33:31 PM »
Matt, please keep in mind that Windy U had light airplanes. So my non expert advice would be to find out how much your plane
weighs then prop it accordingly. If it is heavier it will need to fly faster. So my guess would be 4.5 or 5+  for pitch on the
13" three blade I used a RO Jet 76 Se in an ARF Strega with a 14x6 Rev up prop worked well

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:13:55 PM »
It looks that the choices are: 3 blade carbon composite prop. 13 x 5 / 5+ ( repitched from 13x4 1/4) and 2 blade 14x6.
I can make the Strega size plane from scratch weighting around 60 oz. RTF no fuel, ~720 sq.inch wings.

Any objections if the engine is mounted cylinder outside Yatsenko style in the boxer type cowl?
I hate flipping and dancing with these large planes to start the engine.

Thank you all for your kind input.
M

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
It looks that the choices are: 3 blade carbon composite prop. 13 x 5 / 5+ ( repitched from 13x4 1/4) and 2 blade 14x6.
I can make the Strega size plane from scratch weighting around 60 oz. RTF no fuel, ~720 sq.inch wings.

Any objections if the engine is mounted cylinder outside Yatsenko style in the boxer type cowl?
I hate flipping and dancing with these large planes to start the engine.

Thank you all for your kind input.
M

I was running the 14x5 Rev Up on my 76.  That's a great prop to start with if you can get a hold of any of them.  I have a 13.75" and 14" Brian Eather props for the 76 I may be willing to part with.  I didn't get to try those props but I'm sure they would work great.
Matt Colan

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
What I have been told and read, is that a 1/4">1/2" increased pitch at the tips is a good thing in the overhead maneuvers. I would expect you'd want 5" pitch for the .76, and launch somewhere around 9k. I'd also suggest you send a PM or email to Dave Trible, since he's running the .76 actively.

Just this AM, I attempted to readjust the pitch on my Brian Eather  3 blade...more at the tips. I'm not good at it, find it frustrating, and accuracy unpredictable, but I need to run the .46VF richer, and at a lower launch rpm. Which will be somewhere around 10,000, I hope.

With the clunk tank, I can try a couple of short loads (2 oz) to find the setting. It's also supposed to be stinking hot (for the contest) this weekend in BC, so I've also packed some 15% vitamin N. Also packed the pitch gauge. With any luck at all, I'll get in an official flight. Haven't flown in a month and a half...too danged hot, mostly. Add in a couple of fishing trips...   

Mounting the .76 sidewinder might be ok, but starting inverted isn't all that horrible with an inverted engine, and the tank install generally works out nicer. Better structurally also, considering the direction of the piston stroke. I'm strongly suggesting that you get it setup for a piped installation...better engine control in the wind.

Having a "pit tootsie" that you work with all the time helps tremendously if you absolutely have to turn the plane over for starting. Our SOP is for the helper to not do anything until the pilot signals to point the plane straight up. Then, the pilot takes the plane from the helper and sets it down. The helper takes a kneeling position and assumes control of the plane.   :) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:51:39 PM »
Steve,
The amount of details pertaining to good stunt flying is astonishing.
Perhaps after 30 years of stunt flying I will accumulate enough experience and knowledge to feel at ease with stunt.
I will be 97 then...hmmm.

The thing with more pitch at the prop. blades end...brilliant!

It is also hot in Toronto and I am using 15% of the vitamin "N" for my newly acquired "Toucan 1".
This story is cool.
I smashed my flag ship, Great White with Jett 60 on the pipe, to splinters and was left only with Parrot with Evo 36 C/L. Next week, one of the guys from our club invited me to have a look at the nicely built, yellow, red and black plane with Magnum Pro 45 sitting in his van. " Nice colors" I said. " You can take it if you want" he said.

" What do you mean take it?" I asked heavily surprised. " Take it..it is a gift for you" I heard. I was speechless. "You serious?".

"This thing was hanging in my basement for the last five years collecting dust" said Lenny laughing while watching my facial expression. " You lost your Great White so I thought I will give it to you to practice". " With engine?" I asked again. "With engine" I heard.

The plane, renamed immediately "Toucan 1" ( there will be more Toucans in the future in my menagerie as I like this impossible bird that should not fly being so nose heavy) flies great having almost 700 sq.in of wings. It weights now around 54 oz. after I added wide wings tips and increased the volume of the tank and is not nose heavy at all.

There are good people around but do not look for them in traffic jams.
Regards,
Matt

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
If it was easy, everybody would do it! Come to think of it, if it was easier, maybe I'd be good at it. But at least it gets me out of the house for some R&R.

So, 30 years..you're 67? If you put your age in your profile and the town you live in (or close), it'll help us understand your accent!  LL~ Steve

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »

Steve,
My accent ( I was born in Poland ) and my name always interested the US Border People in Blaine. I could write a book about my border crossing adventures but I feel it is better to practice the inverted loops with my Toucan 1 or Parrot that flies suspiciously well.

Now I live in Toronto and wait for my wife to retire. If this happens ( not when but if ), we will buy a small house on a large piece of land somewhere in the rural Ontario. She will keep gardening and I will build two C/L grass circles. Then, I will order 10,000 gallons of fuel and will fly dawn to dusk.
Cheers,
M

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
Following in Paul Walker's footsteps, building the "Piatkowski  Stunt Ranch"! A noble and lofty goal.  H^^ Steve

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
Stunt ranch
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »
The difference is I am still learning to fly the pattern and P.W is the best flyer in the history of this weird affliction.

From my Karate youth: "practice for a year and you feel you know something, practice for ten years and you feel you know everything, practice for sixty years and you know that you know nothing".

M

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here