Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 25 fox  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
25 fox
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
Has anyone used this motor as a rear exhaust? I was going to call randy and see if he has a tuned pipe that would work.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
Re: 25 fox
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36:52 PM »
I must admit that it does look tempting doesn't it?

I am curious for answers too.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »
Randy Smith said that he had a pipe that would work, now I need to find a header. Mac does not show one but I will call. called fox and they did not have one.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
Randy Smith said that he had a pipe that would work, now I need to find a header. Mac does not show one but I will call. called fox and they did not have one.

Yup, been through the header thing with that motor except I had the .19 version of the same engine. No commercial headers available for it and I would have to make my own. At that point I moved on. But that was years ago, maybe someone makes a header now? Let me know what you find.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
You might ask Scott Riese about a header.  He goes by SQ8s and is in the members list.  He makes custom mufflers, etc.  A mill and lathe would make a header a pretty simple job for that engine. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »
Just thinking about the header part of it, you would be more than halfway there simply by using the standard tilt down/up muffler and cutting the expansion chamber right off it, rounding the outer edges around the cut area and then slipping some silicon tubing over it.

Quick and dirty or what!
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Might pay to put " B.B. " in the title , to diferentiate it from the two earlier 25s .

Used the intake in a Magnum FSR 25 clone , but thats irelephant .good Ruck . ;D

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »
Well Mac does not make one. I will keep trying to find some thing and let you know.

Steve

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
Use the motor as a rear exhaust?, heck, I don't know of anyone who has used it in stunt period (but I'm sure there are some out there). I'd just go with a high RPM, low pitch set-up and see if it is stunt worthy with a muffler. You may decided it's not worth the trouble to go any further. And for the record, I like and have used Fox engines but they do have their challanges. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
Use the motor as a rear exhaust?, heck, I don't know of anyone who has used it in stunt period (but I'm sure there are some out there). I'd just go with a high RPM, low pitch set-up and see if it is stunt worthy with a muffler. You may decided it's not worth the trouble to go any further. And for the record, I like and have used Fox engines but they do have their challanges. 8)

So are you suggesting to rear exhaust it and use a standard Fox down tilt muffler on it?

The muffler would clear the tank with no issues and the outlet could be on any chosen side - probably the out side of the circle would be preferable. And the fuselage would hide most of the transverse body of the muffler.

But what I wouldn't do is to run the engine as a side exhaust and then switch it to rear because of the wear issue.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
No, actually I'm just suggesting that it be tried as a side exhaust with a muffler. I guess when the subject of tuned pipe for this engine was suggested I was thinking of either a curved header such as Randy Smith offers for the Magnum/Thunder Tiger .36 series of engines or a straight header on a side mount such as is used on profiles. It didn't occur to me to actually turn the exhaust 90 degrees. ???
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:12 PM »
So Pete, do you think that rotating the upper barrel 90º to the rear and using a standard tilt down muffler that exits on the star board side would show promise?

I kinda like the idea, and as you said if that works (and why shouldn't it) then perhaps progress onto finding a header for it and a pipe - or try the suggestion I mentioned about using the stack of the standard muffler for a header.  It seems to have an almost square outlet, unlike very rectangular ones on other motors, and should be able to be pushed into service.

I know that Brian Eather here in Oz would have a pipe that would work - pipe number 1 part number 2025.

Interesting stuff!
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:26 AM »
That would be one way to go.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 04:13:26 AM »
I flattened a piece of 1 in tube , bunged ends , cut Ex hole and fitted to K&B , & Irvine R.E. ,
but went up back of inverted engine , between bearers. 3/32 holes F&R to feed tube exhaust.
but was used as silencor .
You have to leave Cyl as youve run it , side or rear . You cant have both . ;D

Online Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:00:29 AM »
I've run both the .19 and the .25 BB on a profile plane. Both would belch/vomit in any outside maneuver when configured as a side exhaust, but ran consistent when set up as rear exhaust. This was without a pipe and on bladder pressure. They are extremely strong little motors. I think I was launching around 14,000 RPM. I never tried to run it in a stunt setup.

Arlan

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
I've run both the .19 and the .25 BB on a profile plane. Both would belch/vomit in any outside maneuver when configured as a side exhaust, but ran consistent when set up as rear exhaust. This was without a pipe and on bladder pressure. They are extremely strong little motors. I think I was launching around 14,000 RPM. I never tried to run it in a stunt setup.

Arlan

Try blocking off the vestige of the port under the exhaust (if there is one) and completely blocking off the boost port - this should bring the rpm's back down to sane levels a bit and stop crankcase charge from 'belch/vomiting in any outside maneuvers' regardless of engine orientation.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here