News:

• May 07, 2024, 12:54:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 stroke - 4 stroke venturi sizes, correlation?  (Read 962 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
2 stroke - 4 stroke venturi sizes, correlation?
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »
In my quest for the best four stroke performance I could squeeze out of my Saitos I discovered they run at the best power level for stunt with a somewhat restricted venturi.  I found the engines I have (on high wing loaded airplanes) both run the best at about 1/3 the opening the RC carb has at full throttle. My stunt experience with two strokes has been pretty much with plug-n-play engines, ST 46, OS35s Brodak 40 etc. Never had the need to really play with 2 stroke venturies.

Wondering if there is any correlation between what I discovered with 4 strokes and the way everyone is running the big 2 strokes? I just cant imagine the power a 72 two stroke would put out if it was ran wide open. So you guys that know the big block 2 strokes how would you compair the size of the venturi relative to some reference, say a ST 60..

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 2 stroke - 4 stroke venturi sizes, correlation?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 08:01:47 AM »
I did a lot of playing around with the LA 40 using the stock RC carburetor.  It makes a handy variable venturi.  The 40's seem to want to run best around 1/2-2/3 open.  If the throttle is closed too much you just don't get much power.  Wide open makes plenty of power, but the handling gets erratic.  They also seem to want to run, fully leaned out, at around 11,500-11,800 rpm.  I find that if the venturi won't let it turn the prop at least that rpm, leaned out, the motor doesn't behave very well.
phil Cartier

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:13:34 AM »
There are a couple of things I can think of.

1. At the same rpm and displacement, a two-cycle ingests approx. twice the air of a four-cycle. (No wonder they are fuel hogs!) Two cycle has an intake cycle at every rev. compared to a four strokes every other rev.. A arger venturi area for a two-cycle makes sense from a flow restriction point of view.

2. A four-cycle will produce significantly more pressure differential at the intake for a given change in volume (cylinder volume) than will a two-cycle (case volume). Conversely, a four-cycle's intake pressure differential is very sensitive to flow so some restriction (smaller cross-sectional area) would be of benefit.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:25:09 AM by Dick Fowler »
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »
There are a couple of things I can think of.

1. At the same rpm and displacement, a two-cycle ingests approx. twice the air of a four-cycle. (No wonder they are fuel hogs!) Two cycle has an intake cycle at every rev. compared to a four strokes every other rev.. A arger venturi area for a two-cycle makes sense from a flow restriction point of view.

2. A four-cycle will produce significantly more pressure differential at the intake for a given change in volume (cylinder volume) than will a two-cycle (case volume). Conversely, a four-cycle's intake pressure differential is very sensitive to flow so some restriction (smaller cross-sectional area) would be of benefit.

Just to add a little.....Four strokes tend to be a lot more efficient mainly because the exhaust valve and the intake valve are both closed during combustion. In a two stroke the incoming fuel charge is what pushes the old burnt fuel out so some of the new charge goes out with the old. It can't be helped it's just the nature of the beast.....Grins
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 01:59:35 PM »
Just to add a little.....Four strokes tend to be a lot more efficient mainly because the exhaust valve and the intake valve are both closed during combustion. In a two stroke the incoming fuel charge is what pushes the old burnt fuel out so some of the new charge goes out with the old. It can't be helped it's just the nature of the beast.....Grins

HI Greg

The 4 strokes  actually are  NOT a lot more efficent, your  just looking at apples and  oranges, if you peak out a 2 stroke they will make  more  power than the same size 4 stroke, just most people do not run them that way, there is no free lunch and you have to burn fuel to make power.... compare a Nelson 40 to a Saito 40, or  a  PA 75 to a 75 sized 4 stroke. Aero Tiger 63 to the same sized 4 stroke, the 2s have a power edge running peaked. Notice  I did not compare a  plain bearing FOX 35 to a AAC ball bearing 4 stroke, there are  exceptions
 What people give up in the 2 stokes  are the run, most would rather run teh engines rich or in a 4 cycle and  get  the nice engine run with a  4-2 break.

Regards
Randy

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »
And in comparing 2 stroke power to 4 stroke power, the Fox .35 will make more power then a 4 stroke, plain bearing engine of .35 capacity hands down.:-) just as in every other example that Randy gave..... H^^

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:19:01 PM »
Didn't ask the question to get into a 4 stroke - 2 stroke power discussion was really wondering if the big (above 60) two strokes were also running relative small venturies or not. No question a two stroke of the same displacement is capable of cranking out more power but do we use it with big block 2 strokes?

My Saito 40a will happily turn an 11-7 at 10 grand but I wouldn't want to be flying stunt with it at that setting.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here