News:

• May 28, 2024, 07:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cub .14 &.19 needle valves vs. fingers?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cub .14 &.19 needle valves vs. fingers?
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
      Hello All:

I need some suggestions as to how I may adjust the needle valves on these engines while they are running without losing body parts. Is there some type of "tool" that I may fabricate that may make this possible?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Cub .14 &.19 needle valves vs. fingers?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 01:31:39 PM »
You can remove the needle from the spray bar and plug the hole.  Then put a remote needle assembly in the fuel line behind the engine.  I have done this and it will work, probably as good as the Cub needle.  Or, you could try to epoxy a hex nut to the needle and adjust it with a wrench from behind.  I have a short thumb from adjusting tight clearance needles. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
They were made for kids with small fingers that could adjust them no problem. LOL

It was always neat to run them at dusk so you could see the glow in the cylinder exhaust ports. That slotted needle was always to tight or to loose. If you squeezed them down to where they did not turn in flight, they were hard to turn. If you left them loose they would change in flight. There was a happy medium though.
Jim Kraft

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:12:22 PM »
In England we fly a lot of diesels. Silicon fuel tube is no good for this. We use a transparent plastic tube, and I have used a large bore bit of this, forced over the end of the O.K. needle and left as long as necessary. I used this on my O.K. 0.149 Perky.
You could plug the end with a bit of balsa or dowel of suitable size, to give it some "body", but I never needed this.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here