News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 15fp tune up.  (Read 1900 times)

Offline rob biddle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
15fp tune up.
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:58:58 PM »
Hi all, after reading the BB fp .20 tune up article, a mate of mine has scratch built a flite streak to try out an ABN fp .20 as he has a very fresh one that he got cheap.
My question is probably aimed towards Brett or Dan.
Would the ABN FP .15 achieve similar results in regards to power delivery? I have a brand new one that performs well in Peter Millers "stupid cupid" design, the model flies better corners than I thought a .15 size model ever could but has a tank problem, requiring that the model be opened up to rectify it.
I saw a GMA "peace maker" (36" span profile) fly a killer pattern recently with an old O.S max 3 .15 and wondered if a stock FP .15 ABN on a peace maker would give similar results to what you have obtained with the FP .20/ flite streak albeit in miniture?
Thanks, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: 15fp tune up.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »
Hi Rob,

There have been Ringmasters flown here with the Fp 15!  And they flew very well, of course they were not kit Ringmaster, but scratch built a good bit lighter. 

The FP 15 is was ahead of the old standard baffle piston cross flow 15s of he past.  Just run it in a wet 2 with something like an APC 8-4.  !0% nitro-20%22% oil, 1/2 and 1/2.

It will not run exactly like the BBTU FP20, that is sort of a freak thing that hit right, but it will not be far off!

One should really fly a Peacemaker pretty nicely, if the weight doesn't get out of hand.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 12:09:47 AM »
Hi all, after reading the BB fp .20 tune up article, a mate of mine has scratch built a flite streak to try out an ABN fp .20 as he has a very fresh one that he got cheap.
My question is probably aimed towards Brett or Dan.
Would the ABN FP .15 achieve similar results in regards to power delivery? I have a brand new one that performs well in Peter Millers "stupid cupid" design, the model flies better corners than I thought a .15 size model ever could but has a tank problem, requiring that the model be opened up to rectify it.
I saw a GMA "peace maker" (36" span profile) fly a killer pattern recently with an old O.S max 3 .15 and wondered if a stock FP .15 ABN on a peace maker would give similar results to what you have obtained with the FP .20/ flite streak albeit in miniture?

The quickest and probably most correct answer is "I don't know".  I have run the 15 a little bit, and I was pretty happy with the way it ran, but in my case I was flying an airplane that was a little too large for it. Same 30-sh ounce Skyray 35 as I was using with the 20 (and 25, and McCoy 19 rr, and Veco 19, and....). It flew, it made it through acceptable patterns in reasonable air, but it didn't have the kind of authority the airplane needed. It probably flew better, in most respects, than with a Fox 35 and certainly is a much nicer motor to deal with.

I would say it's the engine of choice for the Ringmaster - the 20 is pretty tough to keep subsonic with commonly available props.  Seeing a kit Ringmaster (with full opaque painted finish) fly with a 15FP in about 1993-4 was what got me kicked off on the entire experiment. It was *much, much* better than with a Fox.

But I didn't really run it enough to tell if it had the same perfect run as the 20. It was certainly good enough to leave me pretty confident that with the right sized airplane it would be perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't too concerned over building an airplane around it. It will run.

For props I would look at the 8-4, 8-5, and 9-4 APC. I think the B-17 flew with depitched 9-4s for a while. The aforementioned Ringmaster was running a 9-5 Master Airscrew, as I recall, but based on my limited experience I would think the APC would be a much better choice. You can try any prop you want, you cannot burn it up. If it's wrong it will just fly badly.

Brett

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 06:52:28 AM »
Cool, Thanks Bill and Brett.
I have so far only tried a master airscrew 8x4 (thin blade) on the FP.15 as this prop was in my junk box and it seems to go ok on 10/22 fuel (50/50) but can't be optimised due to tank height in current model. (goes way lean on outsides, to the point where it quits) This was due to an "unknown quantity" clunk tank fitted haphazardly.
I also agree that an APC 8x4 would give a bit more prop "bite" as I've had excellent results with APC 7x4 and 7x5's on the FP .10's for 1/2A combat (Aust), also using 10/22 fuel.
The model I'm currently flying it with is a full fuse flapped model 39" span with around 312sq" wing area weighing 25oz ready to fly. Calm days it flys well on 55ft 10thou braided lines and 52ft (too fast!) in rougher weather.
I really dig the "pukey profile" idea as the stupid cupid takes twice as long to build than say a peace maker or ring master which is time probably better spent building a better PA model for my MVVS .49 or LA .46.
Although most who build a stupid cupid would be pleasantly suprised by its performance.
I've intended for years to build a peacemaker but until fairly recently the only .15 size engines that I had were tired old deisels (Sorry deisel lovers) and didn't think they would provide a high enough level of performance. I'd also like to build a ring master as I have never seen one before here in Australia.  ahh decisions, decisions.....
Thanks again Rob.
Robert Biddle

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 10:57:03 AM »
I'd also like to build a ring master as I have never seen one before here in Australia. 

And you want to corrupt paradise??   Truth be told, for the most part, the Ringmaster is not a very good-flying model. Definitely one of the worst-flying stunt models that are commonly built (along with some of it's Sterling brothers, like the Yak 9 and the Mustang, and the similarly-conceived Flying Clown). It was probably state of the art the week it was designed, but that week was ~60 years ago while the event was undergoing it's most rapid phase of development.

It's just OK if you build it light (but not too light, since it will come apart if you just remove mass from the existing structure) and have exactly the right kind of power, set up the controls properly, and don't get too aggressive. Yes, David Fitzgerald can use one to finish in the Top 10 in VSC Classic, but most of us aren't David Fitzgerald.

They are built a lot now primarily because they were built a lot in the good old days and people want to relive the past. That's fine, no problem, there's nothing wrong with enjoying one's self.  If you don't expect too much, and use the very extensive database of experience on how to set them up, and the right engine, it will fly moderately OK.

Brett

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »
  Thanks Brett, decision is pretty clear now. I think I'll build the peace maker.
Hopefully I'll end up with something remotely resembling a mini "dirt mobile".
I'll also put the "feelers" out for an FP.20 as I think there is real merit in a hot performing model with low emotional attatchment.
   Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 11:51:42 AM »
  Thanks Brett, decision is pretty clear now. I think I'll build the peace maker.
Hopefully I'll end up with something remotely resembling a mini "dirt mobile".
I'll also put the "feelers" out for an FP.20 as I think there is real merit in a hot performing model with low emotional attatchment.
   Rob.

Good choice with the Peacemaker!

As to the FP 20............. GET ONE, and run it EXACTLY like Brett suggests.  No changes, no mods, EXACTLY like he suggests.  If you're not happy eith it, let me know and I'll buy it.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 09:58:35 PM »
We've flown the FP 15 in both a Brodak TF Flite Streak Trainer and a U-Key 15.  APC 8-4 prop for both.  The Norvel BigMig 15 is a drop in replacement for the FP.  We found the Norvel to have a bit more power but the FP is whisper quiet - almost as quiet as an electric.  Stock FP muffler used.

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 02:48:05 AM »
 Hi Steve, I couldn't believe how quiet the little FP's are, that was the main motivation for building models for it.
 Other than 1/2A combat models I hadn't built sub .35 size planes in years.
 The beauty of it is I can fly on the soccer field around the corner from home without disturbing anyone.
I work a 4day on 4day off roster so I tend to fly there during the week, there is houses across the road and a high school (my old high school!) about 150 yards further up. I used to fly my old Ramrod (merco .35 power) there occasionally but it wasn't too often as it cackles (music) a bit with it's home made tounge muffler.
Never had any complaints, but I haven't wanted to stir up local council as they aren't known for their sense of humour.
(But then again you should see our latest rates notice.. Doh!)
Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 07:08:39 AM »
Hi Rob,

I saw your post concerning the MVVS 49.  I am interested in keeping track of your progress with that engine.  I have several of the MVVS 49/51 CLPA engines.

I am presently working with an "old-but-new" MVVS 51 Rear Induction CLPA engine.  It is mounted on a TF Tutor II.  The engine seems to run well with 10% nitro/10% syn/  10 % castor or with 10% nitro/28% castor.  I have tried Zinger 12/5, APC 12/5 and APC 12/6 props.  No clear winner, yet.

It would be great if you would share your experience.

Thanks,

Jim Oliver
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 07:42:23 AM »
Hi Jim I'll be sure to let you know how I get on with the MVVS.49.
 At the moment I've only got 1 model that it fits in and current repairs are going to put the weight over the top I believe. I bought it second hand, it had a fairly light finish on it but construction wise it is too heavy. Not much I can do about that really so I intend to do a "rough but honest" paint job just to get it back into the air. I'm currently building a profile for my LA.46, wing/fuse and stab are done will probably frame it up tomorrow before I go to work. Plan is to have it finished within the next 2 weeks and start on a competitive model for the .49. I'll have to get cracking because I haven't really got anything decent flying at the moment. Was planning on flying some comps in Melbourne this year but just haven't been organised, so may have to wait until next year. Anyway in regards to the MVVS's I'll keep you posted and would be keen to hear how you get on with yours.
Thanks, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 08:08:53 AM »
Now for something completely different. We use FP15s on jr Flite Streaks. jr Litning Streaks and the like. We run them flat out with a 7x6 or 61/2x41/2 APC. The LA15s gets the same treatment. Light the fuse and let the rocket blast. Very fast and stupid fun. We use tongue mufflers fully swiss cheesed. The LA15 is often the engine of choice in some classes of RC Combat. Not a comp stunt setup by any means. But a gas. A top 20 flyer in our club runs an LA15 on a Magician jr, ripping off patterns at slow combat speeds. We upped the macho with FP15s. Leaving off the more intricate maneuvers. He does not. FP15s are kind of rare and getting rarer. Alas. But LA15s can be wound tight and pull silly amounts of high rpm. Phil Cartier runs them on blatter and flies them in combat wings. We bought a few of these rigs. Five foot corners. What about five foot loops.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 08:29:57 AM »
The Ringmaster is an eccentric tradition in our club. There are lots of them flown. Few are built by us. Most are bought at swap meets for $10 or less. Many are covered in multiple reject monokote colors, anything left over. These are competition stunters by the way. Often used in Old Time at local contests and Brodak. Engine of choice is a Fox35, bought cheap and used. They're flown in multi fly where three of us are up there together playing follow the leader. A few of our pilots use them in three line, where a line is connected to the tail end of the fuse. Pulling the tail towards the inside of the circle allows the plane to slow down, hover, and do flip flops. Palko and Banjok do it together. A rag tag sinc fly. Amazing and hillarious. Our Ringmasters have won in Old Time and frequently place well. Even won at Brodak I believe. I know Jack Weston came in 2nd there, using one of the best of the breed, many colors of scrap kote... plus a few tricks in construction. Didn't do much this year, however, maybe because we left the chicken bone off. A club member flew our most funky example to a mid pack finish in Intermediate Classic. Never having competed before. The Old Time pattern, with it's predominance of large round maneuvers shows the plane off at it's best.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here