News:

• May 14, 2024, 10:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 11/3 propellers  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
11/3 propellers
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:39 PM »
What are the good sources for 11/3 and 12/3 propellers.  I am planning to use these on an 40 FP and possibly on a K&B 35.

Thanks ahead of time. 

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: 11/3 propellers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »
APC makes an 11/3 prop

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »
I have some `11 X 4" pitch Top Flite Power Points.  Maybe they are also available in 3" pitch?  I would need to check Tower I guess. ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
  • AMA 753063 / Advanced Stunt Flyer Finally
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
If you give me your address I will send you some.
Life is to short to be sour.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:45 PM »
I have some `11 X 4" pitch Top Flite Power Points.  Maybe they are also available in 3" pitch?  I would need to check Tower I guess. ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

I tried the 11x4 Power Points and 11x4 MA Scimitar2 props on my Magnum XLS .36 and had to wind both up to about 10,500 rpm on the ground, up from 9,700. The engine sounded like it was running about 15k in the dives out of the RWO, OH8 and Clover, and the line tension was still not as good. I really was a bit worried that it would toss the rod or puke a bearing. The normal prop is the 11x4.5 TT Cyclone, which works MUCH better. IMO, 3" pitch is useless unless you're using a combat engine. The pitch isn't everything, by any stretch. 

All of these engines work best when you put the right load on them. If you put too much load, it overheats and takes off to the races. With the .20FP, it was fortuitous that it liked a really good prop, an APC. If it had not been happy with such a good prop, then there would have been no joy, IMO.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 08:46:54 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I will try these sources.  I will probably put the K&B 35 on an old Cosmic Wind.  That's my plane for trying out motors.  I have flown it with a McCoy 35, a Fox 40 RC, a Brodak 40.  Now I hope to try out this K&B 35.  Once I have some 11/3's  I will try them out on an OS FP 40 mounted on a Nobler.  It's flying well with 11/4's

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
APC makes an 11/3 prop

David tried one of those on a 40VF long ago (~89). It went faster with the 11-3 than it did with the 11-4. We measured them, and the 11-3 was about 4", and the 11-4 was about 3.25".

Brett

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »
Brett brings up an important thought: the 'pitch' marked on the prop may not be the same as the measured pitch. Normally, the flat rear face of the prop is used to measure 'pitch.' Props have - usually- flat bottom airfoil blade cross sections; the 'effective pitch' of the blade is NOT the same as we can measure from the flat rear face.

A flat-bottom airfoil has a 'zero lift' angle of incidence above the angle of the flat bottom. (I.e., for the airfoil to produce NO lift, the LE must aim down a certain angle to the direction of airflow passing over the blade.) Back in the 1940's a guy named Raul Hoffman wrote a book to make understanding model airplane aerodynamics simpler...

(Yeah, right....)

One useful thing I retrieved from the wizard's mysterious mumbo-jumbo was that a flat-bottom airfoil's 'zero lift' angle of attack could be estimated as about half the angle at which the upper and lower surfaces meet at the trailing edge. A SWAG, sure, (emphasis on WILD) but it DOES suggest the idea that measuring pitch off the back face of the blade does not give us a realistic understanding of what the blade airfoil is trying to do.

Example: back in the 1970's, the Rev-Up EW props were considered very useful for stunt. Their back faces consistently measured 1/2 to one full inch less pitch than the labeled pitch. The EW (Extra Wide) Rev-Ups also spread the airfoil over a greater 'chord' (prop LE to TE at radius stations out from the hub) for the blade thickness, so the airfoils had a 'thinner' section - less drag? - than standard or "single-wide" Rev-Ups. I wonder: was the quoted pitch the result of observed/measured in-flight performance, or just factory claim?

(NOTE for our younger pals: Rev-Ups were wooden props, of decent but not perfect geometry and wood density from left to right. I miss them, but realize that props of that general quality today would need to be in the Bolly/Eather price range. ...And would still be subject to wood density variations.)

Back to the topic title: Has anyone measured the back-face pitch of available X-4" pitch props to check whether 'claimed' pitch might be 'observed performance pitch' rather than 'back-face measured pitch'?  I wouldn't be surprised if nominal 4" pitch props occasionally measured (back-face) less than 4" pitch...

It wouldn't surprise me if the back-face measured pitch turned out to be less than the labeled pitch. except for some high priced, or APC moderate-priced, props. This is just another aspect to be considered.
\BEST\LOU

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
Most of the Master Airscrew props are marked with a zero lift pitch.  If you measure them the back face is usually considerably less.  For example, the 11/7 three blade measures about 11/5.5.  Their 10/5 3 blade measures a little less than 4 in. pitch.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here