Vendors Corner > Core House

NOW AVAILABLE! Streak III Kit Laser Cut Parts--Streak RST now $65

<< < (6/6)

phil c:

--- Quote from: Tony Vitiello on August 05, 2019, 10:26:22 PM ---Thanks Phil. What’s the best way to order?  Give you a call?  Can you let me know your number?

--- End quote ---

I don't try to hide the phone # Tony.  Sorry I'm late with this   717-566-3810

Steve Scott:

--- Quote from: phil c on November 15, 2014, 08:04:08 PM ---Generally none for Spectra lines.  No more than 1/4 oz for steel .015 lines.
If you look carefully at the plans in the instructions it shows the wing offset to the right about 1/4in.  This , combined with the recommended engine offset puts the thrustline right through the center of the fuselage at the spar.  This setup tends to make the plane bank slightly away when doing corners even without tip weight.

Phil C

--- End quote ---
This is offset so the outboard span is 1/4" longer?  Old style aerodynamics typically had the inboard span longer.

phil c:

--- Quote from: Steve Scott on December 24, 2019, 02:14:37 PM ---This is offset so the outboard span is 1/4" longer?  Old style aerodynamics typically had the inboard span longer.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, with any plane you have to play with the aerodynamics.  A profile plane usually has a lot of built in tip weight with the engine, and a lot of left thrust because the motor C/L is mounted outboard anywhere from a 1/4 to 1/2 in.
The aerodynamic center of the wing for a 48in. wing is offset about half an inch into the right hand panel.  This works great for a built up plane.  On a profile moving the wing outboard a little puts the MAC far enough off the thrust line, especially if you offset the engine by relieving the rear of the motor mount so the engine also points out.  You can lay it out with a ruler from the centerline of the spar to the front of the motor mount area under the engine.  It usually works out to about 3/32in X 1.5in taper.

Digging too much offset into the mounts invites bending or breaking the case or mounts in a straight in crash. Offsetting the wing reduces the engine offset needed to keep the motor pulling the plane  a little to the right.

I had this bright idea about 25 years ago, which shows I'm officially an old man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version