News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:19:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WW2 Slo Combat  (Read 1449 times)

Offline David M Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
WW2 Slo Combat
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
Would the Sterling Hellcat be eligible for this event?  I know there are kits produced but I happen to have a Hellcat and I was wondering.
David Johnson
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline dankar

• Captain
Re: WW2 Slo Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
The Hellcat comes out to be a nice looking plane. I built one and my friend loved it. We traded later. Anyway the P-51 flys much better and turns alot better. The Hellcat is no match but depends on what you want. I belive the P-51 is now kitted and will have better wood. The Hellcat would be cool a profile Carrier plane.
Dan

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
If you build a plane to Sterling Hellcat outlines with a Gotcha 460 wing (trim a couple inches off each tip) it makes a good WWII combat plane. Then get a friend to build a Zero from the (my) Ultra Hobbies plans, and have at it!

Back in the day guys in our club were building these as stunt and combat trainers, and we would occasionally put on demos with 4 up very mild combat. Spectators loved it!

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
I built it with the outlines but for the wing I used a thicker airfoil. A close copy of the remains of a Evil EMU Creations combat plane pulled from a trash can.  Scaled for the shape of a Hellcat outline.  I'll look up the Gotcha wing and see what it looks like.  I know that it will be sacrificed to the game so I wasn't too caught up in details.  I'm using a hot rod ST .35 for motivation. Should be fun.
David

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »
Ok so yes those wings look the ticket for sure.  Thanks for the heads up.
David

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »
Here's a few more details on the Hellcat. Use the stock Sterling fuse and tail outlines. Use Gotcha 460 wing cores. Cut 3 1/2" off the tip of each panel, and use simple 1/2" balsa wing tips. Locate the wing leading edge 5 3/4" from the nose. Mount the controls externally on top of the wing. A few pic's are attached. The Zero is similar in size and construction and makes a great companion to the Hellcat. Ultra Hobbies sells plans.

Good luck, and have fun! H^^

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »
Got a new wing that might work for these guys.  The Gotcha SL.  It has a little steeper taper so it looks more scale on most planes(not a Zero though).  Wing area is a bit less, about 440 squares at 48 in. span.  Much better flying airfoil.  Some things have changed from the 70's, and combat airfoils are one of them.  Root chord is 12.375in. x 1.8in. thick, tip chord 6.125 in. 18% thick. 
phil Cartier

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »
Bill,
Those planes good real good. WW2 combat planes in circle will look great.
Dan

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »
Those planes look great!  I was also looking at the site for No-cal free flight airplanes for profiles all you would need to do is adjust the elevator sizes and add the foam wings and you would have some good looking combat planes.
http://www.parmodels.com/Plans/nocals.htm open with adobe and adjust to size!
David Johnson

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »
The thing about WW-II combat, at least for me, is getting a good balance between a plane that really looks like the full size one.  That means it has to have key features, like high or low or mid wing, dihedral, and the general balance between the nose length, the tail length, and the bulk of the fuselage.  For example, a P-51 has a relatively long nose and the whole stabilizer has to be in front of the rudder post, or it looks weird.  The other thing is almost all the WW-II planes had pretty steep wing tapers(tip ~50% of the root) and small wings.  The Hellcat is a bit of an exception.  It had about 30% more wing area than the Corsair, which used the same engine.

The usual procedure is to figure the wing area you want.  Scale the wing at ~1.3-1/4 in./ft.  Do the same for the tail.  Scale the fuselage at 1 in./ft.  It's all relative.  Then play around with the wing placement, the cockpit placement, an the length of the tail to make it look right.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here