News:

• May 02, 2024, 07:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who designed the BIG IRON?  (Read 816 times)

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Who designed the BIG IRON?
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
Question:  Who designed the BIG IRON?  I was always under the impression that Carl Berryman was the designer of this well known combat plane from the 1960's.  The last MODEL AVIATION issue had an article on C/L Combat which indicates that Marvin Denny was the culpret.  If that is true, I have been under the wrong assumption for all these years.  Is there anyone out there who flew the BIG IRON in competition in the 1960's/70's contests?  Since I never got around to building a BIG IRON, I am wondering, how did this plane compare with the VOODOO and the OKLAHOMA TWISTER....just wondering.  I guess you learn something new every day.    ???    D>K    H^^
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:36:59 AM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Who designed the BIG IRON?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
  Carl Berryman!!!!  You must have read the combat column in the latest MA.   There are MANY errors in that column.  I already sent a message to Rich Von Lopez to get them corrected --- (if possible)

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »
  As for performance, I think that the Bigiron was quite a bit better than the Voo Doo.  The Voo Doo was MUCH easier to build, but the bigiron would survive a collision much better than the Voo Doo  when using the engines of that period of design.  As engines became larger and more powerful the collision advantage went away to some extent.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
Big Iron was my favorite combat plane.   Especially with the  Johnson Combat Special that I obtained from a fellow club member.  In fact I flew one at club meeting several years ago with a Johnson .35.   10% fuel and 9-7 prop we close to 90 mph.   What a rush it was.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
  Terrence, are you talking about the "Oklahoma Twister" which looked a lot like the Bigiron or the "Super Twister" which was an Elliptical wing design?--  either way, neither of those two was as good as the Bigiron.---- Now the "Phantasy" was another thing!1  It was far superior to thwe Bigiron, but for me, too hard to build.
  As engines became larger and more powerful, I simply enlarged the Bigiron to take care of the added weight and still called them the Bigirons--- even when I changed from twin booms to a "box boom" fuselage .
  A couple of years back, I took the "percolator down off the wall and with a ST G-21/35, put is a couple of 100+ MPH flights.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here