News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Voodoo booms  (Read 1221 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Voodoo booms
« on: April 06, 2008, 04:51:09 PM »
Can anyone please tell me how long the origanal voodoo booms were?
Thanks

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Voodoo booms
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:17:34 PM »
I can't really say for sure, but I remember that there was a design change after the first year or so.

Maybe they grew from 3" to 4", measured from TE to hinge.  Whatever it was, the originals were 1" shorter than ongoing production.

Reason: the VooDoo was terribly nose heavy and even the longer booms were generally not enough.  Guys made 'em longer and heavier yet.  They started putting 'em close together and planking in between, migrating to the monoboom style.
Paul Smith

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »
DeWayne;

from the plans in the july 1961 MAN
the booms ave about 5" long  and 2.25" from the TE to the hinge.

Tom Wilk
ols magazines plans on CD

Dwayne

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
Thanks Tom.  H^^  #^

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:07:03 PM »
The original VooDoo was balanced with the "small case" Johnson 35 in it.  That one weighs a bit over seven ounces. The BB-shaft "big case" Johnsons, the Fox 35Xs, and the Tigre 35s weighed between eight and 8 1/2 half ounces, so the "long" booms were substituted in the late 1960's for the short ones, and it was a lot more than a one inch change, more like two and a half or even more. 

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
Made it fly better too. 

The Nemesis was actually the first extended-boom design I saw. Chicago Nats, 196? 5? 6?
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »
Try putting a Nemesis stab six inches behind the TE. With those long booms, a bladder and a G21, the VooDoo had a new lease on life, at least in Detroit during the early-mid 70s.

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
On my well crashed Voodoos from the 70s, the booms are 7 3/4" overall with 5" from the trailing edge to the stabilator.  But, the difference could have been from remaking booms from sight rather than measurement. 
On my Carl Goldberg kit, the booms are 8" overall and the distance from the trailing edge to the stabilator hinge hole is 5".  Those are the measurements I just got.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »
I just measured a VooDoo from the mid 70s, and got the same 5" from TE to hinge.  A Nemisis (kit from the same period) is 6".
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
Just checked my VooDoo and 5" it is. My friend built an old kit with early booms and put a .36X in it. Thing was fast but would not turn / way to nose heavy.
Dan

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »
The earliest 35X, also known as the Blue Ribbon Special, was slightly lighter than the later X motors, and a first version VooDoo balanced close to OK with those.  I never weighed either a Series 1 or 2 Combat Special, nor the Series 3 (two piece case, and heavier), but a Rocket 35 is/was the same 7 ounces as a Johnson, so the silver head and black head CS were most likely about the same. 

Back in the day when a VooDoo, or Sneeker, Big Iron, or Ranchy were all competitive, I had more Raunchies and Sneekers than any other, and mostly Fox 36Xes up front because the Tigre G21/35s I had then were too prone to eating cranks, and I either had trouble getting Johnsons, or chose to avoid them because of the weaknesses in the design (cannot recall any more).  I was using longer booms already, before I heard about or saw a Nemesis, although my Sneekers flew quite well with short booms. 

I saw Riley's Sneekers at contests before he switched to Demons, and got a set of rib patterns from him; the span was 42", not 36", like the kit he produced a little later.  Mostly I built that larger one, even though with the extra wing area it was slightly slower than a VooDoo -- the big Sneeker turned very tightly with far less drop in speed than a smaller plane. 

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
I pulled my vooDoo down and replaced engine. Had a new Cipolla.15 in it. It had a Fox .35 stunt and holes matched. now it had a OS .25F. The OS droped right in. Its set up with bladder and should work well. All this talk got the blood stiring again.
Dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here