News:

• May 06, 2024, 06:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VINTAGE COMBAT  (Read 2117 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
VINTAGE COMBAT
« on: February 02, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
What rules are used at Huntersville for vintage combat.  Yes I will enter
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Michael Alurac

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 63056 kotrc.org2013-2014 & 2020 President
Re: VINTAGE COMBAT
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:46 PM »
I too am interested in Vintage Combat rules. I've found an article on the flying lines site that touches on the event that they've named Combat Graffiti but not too much in the way of their rules. Nice plane pics too!

http://flyinglines.org/graffiti.12.html

I'd be interested too in the Huntersville rules.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:41:16 AM »
Howard runs the event and I sent him a email. Maybe he will reply here.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »
I originated and co wrote the rules for this event. As the venue was vancouver B.C. I asked some expert stunt and combat fliers to help when I ran into walls. The link to the rules is embeded into the original article so it's a bit obscure.
here they are. Very detailed.
http://flyinglines.org/graffiti.rules.pdf

The idea is to get master modelers to build beautiful combat ships and have safe as can be, combat matches.
The idea worked well in practice too. Emphasis is on the building, fimnish and originality of engine. Flying and points are reduced in weight to keep the wrap n bash guys at bay.
Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Ken Burdick

Offline Michael Alurac

• Lieutenant
  • AMA 63056 kotrc.org2013-2014 & 2020 President
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:11 PM »
Thank you Ken for sharing your rules with us. They seem conducive to some fun vintage combat flying!
Would you have rules for speed limit 75 mph combat that you might share?

Thanks again.

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:13 AM »
Type in "Model Aircraft Combat Association" on your web browser.   Could not find a specific set of rules there, but there are contacts.  But, speed limit combat is just that.  Either 70, 75 or 80 mph it is still combat.   Planes are timed for two laps of level flight before and sometimes during a match.   Too fast and you either get a reflight or no score.  Best to get with whoever is running the combat meet and get the rules from them.  Each part of this great land has different rules.   The last speed limit combat I flew you were penalized for a mid air.   No kills only cuts count and a bonus if both airplanes land in one peice with a full match.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 09:31:05 PM »
yep.
in Seattle, the core group came up with something we call The "C cup"
We refined the speed limit rules to something we liked better and all had input into. Buzz Wilson drove the effort and in doing so, has raised the level of competition to a national level in the N.W. (thanks Buzz) http://flyinglines.org/rules.rein.80mph.proposal.html
this is the rule set for 80 mph combat. The C cup went beyond it. Cuts only and everything short of real F2D. This was a combined effort that worked.
Please ask Buzz for the set of rules for cuts only c-cup ules....they are simple and effective.
bwilson44@netzero.com
Ken

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
Ed

Please excuse the delay in getting back to you.

A lot going on here.

Rules:

Current AMA Fast rules except:

NO Shutoff

Models and engines should be 1975 vintage or older.

Fox 35, Fox 36XBB, ST G21-35 ST 35C or any engine from that era which will fly the airplane on 60' .018 lines

Some Foam airplanes but we would prefer wood models. Ringmaster, Flightstreak, Voodoo, Onega, Reactor, Nemesis, Demon, Sneaker etc.

Starters are allowed (This is about flying these planes, not about starting carnkie engines)

Look for a very laid back low key fun event.

Matching will be up to the flayers.

Bill Duane may have some additional things to add.

Howard

Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »
Vintage combat was Fast rules all the way.  Kill reigns supreme.  I'd suggest(and we'll probably try this this summer) is two airplanes per pilot.  AMA Fast rules, with shutoffs.  Fly mulitple rounds, matching the best scores against each other, until either a clear winner emerges or nobody wants to break another plane.  Fast matches tend to be very quick, so use a drag off circle, or two circles.  It's fairly easy to get 10 matches in in an hour as long as the fliers can keep up.  With 10 flyers or so you could run 5 rounds and a couple of flyoff matches in 3-4 hours.

Metal motor mounts were available before 1975- Sullivan I believe marketed them.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here