News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:03:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: tying sprectra lines  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
tying sprectra lines
« on: March 10, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »

Guy's what have you found to be the best way to tie spectra lines, what knot and how can I tie a 1/8" thimble on each line that will be safe using that knot??

Thanks, and keep those cards and letters coming.. y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: tying sprectra lines
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
             I have never found the need to use a thimble or eyelet and that would be for flying .25 on up size planes.

From Phil:

Using a crimp tube on Spectra is a lot of un-necessary work.   Knots are much more reliable.  There is no need for an eyelet or thimble.  Spectra is about 5 times as abrasion resistant as stainless line.

Using the line sizes specified in the combat rules simply folding the line back on itself and tying a simple overhand know will get you 50% of the rated breaking strength everytime.  This matches the strength you get from similar sized stainless steel line. Making two wraps through the loop(surgeon's knot) gets the break up to 60%, significantly stronger than stainless.    Folding the line over and tying a figure eight knot or a modified surgeon's knot(make an overhand knot in the folded line and then bend the fold around and through the other side of the loop) gets the breaking strength up to 70-80% of the rated strength.  Make sure that both strands of the fold(the standing and the free end) are pulled up evenly to get a smooth knot with both strands laid evenly next to each other.  That makes the knot stronger.  But if it doesn't work that way for you, the worst that can happen is that the knot will break at 50% and still be as strong as steel.

If you use the knot shown in the AMA general rule(5 turn uni knot) be sure and tie a blocking knot in the free end.  Spectra can be very slippering, and there is nothing to prevent the line from simply sliding through the knot and coming apart.  After tying the knot for an overhand knot in the free end and work it up close to the main knot before pulling it tight.

John's idea of using a palomar knot right on the line clip works well too.  The palomar won't let the line slide through and untie the knot.

I managed to break a set of .018 stainless lines in flight the other day.  The plane was a 14 ounce F2D ship with a Magnum 15 flying about 70 mph.  The wind was gusty, the plane had a warp, and it did a snap, went across the  circle, hit the end of the lines and bounced back to the other side and popped both lines.  Nothing is failure proof.
Report to moderator   Logged
phil Cartier

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Cut the lines long.  Tie one end on each, then stretch the lines out and mark both lines at the same time for the indicated length with a sharpie pen.

Now the hard part: include the mark in the knot.  If more accurate length is required make 3 lines together.

As for knots just moisten them as you draw up the knot so the fibers slide nicely.  The post from Phil Cartier that Kenneth copied says everything else.

Phil

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:20 PM »
Gil if we habe a club get together soon Ill bring some braided fishin line I use to bass fish with (Power Pro 30lb and 50lb) ans Ill show ya the knot I tie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 01:46:02 AM »
The UniKnot is a very good fishing knot and should work very well I would think. Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:47:05 AM »
             Tim, that would be the knot we use for flying combat. However, the gods of flight are seeking a new knot. We will see what this new knot will entail.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here