News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Winder short kit by Lazerworks  (Read 992 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
The Winder short kit by Lazerworks
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
Just started a Winder short kit from Lazerworks the kit comes with ribs, tips, booms, cheek cowl and stabilator, the lazer cutting is perfect and the wood is excellent, for 14 bucks this can't be beat. I'll post more as I go.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
Re: The Winder short kit by Lazerworks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »
That Winder looks good.  I have a Winder built and another Winder kit on the shelf.  What other kits does Lazerworks offeer?.......TDurrill

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »
What other kits does Lazerworks offeer?.......TDurrill

I have their Super Satan short kit ... nice!

For a list click this link:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=3136.0
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:47:07 AM »
I almost hate to bring this up...but something like a 3/32" L.E. plywood doubler in the center-section should be used if the bird is powered by a G21-35 or other era combat motor, otherwise the wing may fold...Prather supposedly fiberglassed the center section but didn't mention that in his '67 or '68 MAN article, if I remember correctly--

Having said this, my congrats to Lazerworks for offering this famous kit once again. Keep it up, you guys.

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:06:31 AM »
I almost hate to bring this up...but something like a 3/32" L.E. plywood doubler in the center-section should be used if the bird is powered by a G21-35 or other era combat motor, otherwise the wing may fold...Prather supposedly fiberglassed the center section but didn't mention that in his '67 or '68 MAN article, if I remember correctly--

Having said this, my congrats to Lazerworks for offering this famous kit once again. Keep it up, you guys.

Very good point but this one will be powered by a Fox 35 so I think It'll be ok, I have plans to build one with a thicker airfoil that will be powered with a Mk 3 that one will be reinforced, I'm going to call it a Super Winder...lol
Thanks
Dwayne

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:07:03 AM »
Selling a short kit for $14 is really a great idea. 
It sure beats paying for a big box and shipping for some off-the-shelf balsa sticks.

I believe this model was originally marketed by Sterling with their typical heavy wood and crude die cutting.  Based on these faults and a high price, it didn't sell very well vis-a-vis Voodoos and Combat Cats.

This short kit would make a nice "OT FAI" plane with a Conquest 15 or maybe a Rossi.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
I had one of the original Winder kits.  As with any combat wing in the day we fiber glassed the engine pod to the center section.  Never had a wing fold after the first VooDoo.  Learned you do not drill thru leading edge for fuel line the hard way.  I think I have had at least one of the each of the Sterling combat wings.  The T-Square was the most fun with the upright engine.  McCoy Redhead .35 and no pressure.  Big Iron was my favorite plane until the Nemesis came along.  By then I was getting out of combat.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here