News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:34:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The wave of the future?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The wave of the future?
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: The wave of the future?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:08:20 AM »
           Although I may like to experience flying it, I would rather stick with my glow. Even though things get damaged regardless of electric or glow I feel your much better using glow. I certainly can't see that shaft withstanding a ground pounding or a midair. Like I said it can be damaged in glow as I've snapped the cranks flush off with the case. I suppose in the areas where noise being a concern,  the electric has the advantage. On another side note, I wonder what happens when the battery pack comes flying out at mach 1. Ken

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
It might be competitive with the d-bats in performance wise..  but I doubt it could take crashes though.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:40:32 PM »
           Although I may like to experience flying it, I would rather stick with my glow. Even though things get damaged regardless of electric or glow I feel your much better using glow. I certainly can't see that shaft withstanding a ground pounding or a midair. Like I said it can be damaged in glow as I've snapped the cranks flush off with the case. I suppose in the areas where noise being a concern,  the electric has the advantage. On another side note, I wonder what happens when the battery pack comes flying out at mach 1. Ken
It's not what happens when a li-po flies out.  It's when it hits the ground, or if something punctures one in a mid-air.  That's when the problems start!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
          Maybe we can get 20 additional points for flame outs.  %^@ Ken

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
 LL~
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
              Don, giving what you mentioned a bit of thought, do you think electric and glow would be allowed to go head to head? I'm probably underestimating the power of the electric. I certainly don't know how much horsepower it has or can deliver. I also have known that Viko has had this under development for a few years now. Mike Palko who flies electric stunt had a combat wing to fly a few years ago. This plane was insane fast. I can also say, it wasn't quiet in the way we typically think electric should be. It had a really high pitch growl when it unloaded. Probably not loud like glow that would've given the plane the same speeds.  He did say at the time the CG was problematic due to the weight of the battery. I know he claimed with a bit of refinement it could certainly do much better. Ken

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
I think electric can match glow in performance.   With the continual development of batteries I'm sure the weight will come down and the capacity up, that's natural progression.  My only reservation is the current li-po battery fire potential due to the "contact sport" nature of the event.  Available fire extinguishers would be an event requirement, IMO.

When we race at Whittier Narrows the Speed Flyers are in the next circle.  Their electrics are just as noticeable as glows when flying from a noise standpoint.  Though it's probably all prop noise due to the prop tip speed of a typical speed model.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »
Electric can fly a combat plane competitively, for about a minute and a half.  When they double the watt-hours/lb again in the battery it will be pretty close.

It will require custom built motors, probably with a 1/4 in. titanium shaft.  They'll probably have to be either an in-runner style, or someone will have to figure out how to machine pockets into the inside of the can for an outrunner to contain the magnets.  I wouldn't be surprised to see aluminum wire either, despite the resistive losses.  The battery will have double the capacity for the same weight Li-po, and deliver 150 amps.
phil Cartier

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 05:40:51 AM »
Mark Rudner has been experimenting with electric combat ships. I believe Mark would agree with Phil about the needed LiPo capacity.

Mark also did a write-up for the NECN newsletter here: http://necn.homestead.com/Issue_74Jun12.pdf

-Chris

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Video looks good.   Electric might be an advantage until the plane impacts terra firma.   With four minute combat time, two planes would do it as long as they stay airborne.   Only need two minutes of full power with at least several cuts with each plane.  Last weekend seen very few matches with more than two cuts . H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here