News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:45:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tee Dee vs. Ame  (Read 1353 times)

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tee Dee vs. Ame
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
 I am About to finish a Lil' Hacker from Corehouse and was considering either a tee dee .049 or a norvel ame .049. Fuel supply will be pressure bladder type. Any thoughts, preferences or experiences with this airplane or these engines mounted on these planes?  Thanks,  NC   Ray. 
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Tee Dee vs. Ame
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:52:31 AM »
Never flew a Lil' Hacker, but I suspect the AME will outrun the TeeDee.  I could be wrong.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »
A good (real good) TD will spin a 5-3 prop at perhaps 22K on 20% Nitro. An AME will get 23 - 25K on a 5-3 APC toothpick, on the same fuel. This with both engines equipped with the Galbreath head and Nelson HD plug. In the air, there's probably not as much difference in rpm.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »
Will try the AME first, hopefully finish up tonite and trial run Sunday afternoon. I am sure i will need to fiddle with balancing. This may sound dumb, but one day i put a tee dee high comp glow head on a norvel just because it was nearby and the norvel had burned out, but i really think it ran as good or better than using the galbreath set up. May just be my imagination but that little motor screams now. Thanks for your help.  RC in NC
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »
The Galbreath/Nelson plug head doesn't(I don't think) produce a lot more power than either the Cox glow heads or the Norvel plugs.  It's just much more readily available, esp. now that Norvel is out of the engine business.  Nelson plugs are relatively cheap, last well, and are made locally.  All around a good deal.  Nothing wrong with the Cox heads, if they are still being made and you can find them, except the price.
phil Cartier

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:59:01 AM »
The 5x3 is too much prop for the AME. To really get it going, you need to cut it down to about 4 1/4". Some people were cutting the black Cox down to 3 7/8". Then the AME really wakes up, you get 30,000+ RPM and a great deal more power than a Tee Dee. Whether you actually want to do this or not is another matter - even the "sport" BigMig .061 on a 5x3 prop will screw a typical beginner into the ground on 35 foot lines.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:25:35 AM »
Isky,
For general sport flying the props from george cleveland have been very good.This is for an AME.
Dennis

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 06:03:37 PM »
Regarding GETTING supplies you order from George, is he back to taking care of his model business promptly yet?

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:23:57 PM »
If you use the AME watch out for the "tight shaft" problems Larry Driskill talked about a couple years ago.  Symptoms are when you start the motor and warm it up it will hold a good setting for 30 seconds or so, just enough time to get in the air, then start to go overlean.  If the plane is still on the ground you can richen it up back to a good setting, then it will go lean again after 30 seconds or so.  Finally when you richen it up it cools off and quits rich.  It behaves a lot like too touchy a needle valve and/or a bladder that is not feeding a steady pressure.  The cure is to polish the shaft with really fine wet or dry paper until the motor runs freely.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 05:54:45 AM »
I a comparison between two engines that are both out of production, the best engine is the one you can get.
Paul Smith

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 03:20:01 AM »
If you use the AME watch out for the "tight shaft" problems Larry Driskill talked about a couple years ago.  Symptoms are when you start the motor and warm it up it will hold a good setting for 30 seconds or so, just enough time to get in the air, then start to go overlean.  If the plane is still on the ground you can richen it up back to a good setting, then it will go lean again after 30 seconds or so.  Finally when you richen it up it cools off and quits rich.  It behaves a lot like too touchy a needle valve and/or a bladder that is not feeding a steady pressure.  The cure is to polish the shaft with really fine wet or dry paper until the motor runs freely.

I wonder if this isn't what is happening to that AP .06 I have... It is an evaluation engine from Singapore Hobbies, have to send it back, so I'm not going to try the polishing thing, but based on Larry Renger's tests, these engines (at least, some of them) can really run.

Offline ken cook

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
I am About to finish a Lil' Hacker from Corehouse and was considering either a tee dee .049 or a norvel ame .049. Fuel supply will be pressure bladder type. Any thoughts, preferences or experiences with this airplane or these engines mounted on these planes?  Thanks,  NC   Ray. 
I have a Lil' Hacker with a norvel .049 and it flies great so I can hardly imagine one with a ame on
it. y1
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 06:11:10 PM by ken cook »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here