News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:06:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swap Meet Finds  (Read 766 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Swap Meet Finds
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
 Went to a swap meet this morning. I purchased a Fox36x and a Os 25fsr. The Fox has a 4hole backplate with a screw in the center. Also looks to have bushings. Can anyone give me some info on this engine?

steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Swap Meet Finds
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:21 AM »
  Hi Steve.  Fox mfg made several versions of that engine.  Most likely  you have the 36X that has one needle bearing  at the rear of the shaft.  Those engines ran very well with props in the 8 X 8 to 9X7 range and with nitro from 10% to 40%.  oil should be 22% to 25 % and a mix of Castor and synthetic around 50/50.  The hole with the screw in it in the back plate is for a crank case pressure  titting.  (most had abandoned the case pressure fuel systems by the time that engine came out, and were using bladder pressure systems (either Passifier, pippette tips, or surgical tubing).   Fox mfg no longet has many repair parts for those engines.  I do know that they still have the rear bearing, and the 36 sport piston/sleeve will fit but the timing is a little milder so if you are adept with a dremel tool and a file, you can still et the performance back with the sport P&C.
  I have several of those engines and some spare parts in my junk barrel.

Bigiron
  PS   if you remove the shaft,  be VERY CAUTIOUS to not lose the little rollers from the rear needle bearing.  If they are worn even a wee bit, they may fall out.
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
 I might just mount it in the SUPER SATAN kit and put it to pasture. It seems to have good compression, a little play in the shaft. The case has some nicks and scratches(battle scars!), but I think those just add to the character of the old war horse.

thanks
steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
Great idea if you want to retire the reliable old Fox.  I lost a few of the old Fox's, mostly by impacting mother earth.  Still have a couple I think will still run with tender care.  How about pictures when done. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
The Super Satan is on my "to do' list. At the moment I'm building 6 Yankee Nippers(2 w/ bladders, 4 w/clunk tank) and 2 other 'stunt' planes. One is a scratchbuilt profile and the other is a Tower Fun 51 c/l conversion. The 6 combat planes are priority, my father isn't getting any younger(71 in sept.). My mother is really hoping he is not going to start competing again.

thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
71 years of age.  Tell your Mom that Lew Woolard is still beating the socks off me in aerobatics at 85+ years of age.  Staying busy is what keeps us young. #^ #^ #^ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »
She informed me yesterday that he had cut and split a trailer full of wood in the last 2 days. His trailer is 20' long and 8' wide, with 3' sides. He told me he had to get out of the house because my mother was watching basketball.
As far as flying he said it was my turn to build and he'll fly'em. And if they crash I can fix 'em. I just enjoy the big grin as he goes round & round.
thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here