News:

• May 06, 2024, 03:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Combat Streak Building  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Combat Streak Building
« on: April 30, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »
I wanted to build a Super Combat Streak and have received the plans from Barry Baxter.
The leading and trailing edges baffle me in their design.
I was also considering having the ribs lazer cut.
Then I got to thinking perhaps getting a Brodak Flight Streak kit and using the wing from the kit and building my own body. That would also give me the elevator, stab and vertical fin.
I am seeking opinions as to weather this sounds like a good, quicker way to get the plane in the air.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Super Combat Streak Building
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:08:13 AM »
Hi Jerry,

The Brodak kit should be exactly the same dimensions as the Super Combat Streak.  A new fuselage would do the trick.  Since there *could* be some variences, you might have to adjust the fuselage cutout for the wing. 

Go for it!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:48:04 AM »
Thanks Bill, Coming from you that sure reinforces my thoughts. Sounds like my plane will be put into action by ordering the kit.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »
Does anyone know off hand which tank to use on a Super Combat Streak?  I'm scratch building one by copying from an old TF Super Combat Streak kit that I have.  Plans call for a Veco T-21-C which I'm guessing is out of production.  I have a Brodak BH-597 that I can change the position of the fuel feed that will fit length and width but it is a 1/4" too high.  I'm thinking of using it and doing some sort of blend with the top of the fuse. It's 3 1/2oz. 
Jerry

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
I think that a company named Clary took over the mfg of Veco tanks.
This does bring up the question of what is used for tanks in these modern times?

I have a decent number of old tanks, some new some old/rebuilt but running short fast as repairing/restoring old airplanes and building new ones.

If the rain would ever stop I could probably fly a little and crash a few to restock my tank box! LL~
David Roland

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »
I ended up using a Brodak BH-539 Standard Vent Wide Wedge Fuel Tank 3 oz.  It is shown to have the dimensions of 1"h x 2"w 3"long.  Since shipping was $7.99 for just the tank I decided to also order a clear canopy 9" x 1 3/4"w x 1 1/2"h and a 1/12 scale pilot as well.  Still $7.99 for shipping.  Of course the tank was 3 1/16" long and I had to sweat the end off and cut the body of the tank since I had exactly 3" of space available to fit the tank into.  It worked out nicely, pressure tested, no leaks, exact fit into the space.  Landing gear is the next engineering project.  I don't like the one wheel landing gear set up the SCStreak has so I'm going with 2 wheels in the front and a 3/4" dia. or so tail wheel.  I have some ideas for the front landing gear.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:27:36 PM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »
I think that a company named Clary took over the mfg of Veco tanks.

Froom originally built fuel tanks. Veco bought them out and sold them to Clary, who sold them to K&B,  who sold them to Fox, who sold them to Taffinder, who sold them to Brodak.

Froom Wheels were sold to Veco, who sold them to K&B, who sold them to Fox. Fox sold them to Dubro.

At least that's how I remember it. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
De Hill

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
So where did the Froom /Veco spinners get off to?
Would like to find a source for use on stunt planes. Nice and very light! #^

Thanks for the picture Jerry, that shows that De is correct!
Now I know what to do for fuel tanks.

Is anyone making a uniflow in that style?
Conversion is easy--just more time.

Jerry
On the landing gear I was just thinking today that if I ever build the Combat Streak I have that I would leave the nose wheel and add mains to the spars in the wing to make a trike gear.
Then with a canopy it would make a cool jet looking sport plane.

David
David Roland

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
Froom Spinners sold to VECO, then to K&B, then to Fox. The Fox spinners you see today are the last of the VECO line, BUT heavily modified.

Froom Spinners were spun,  After VECO bought them, they started die casting everything including the pointed spinner tip. After Fox bought them, the pointed spinner tip was done away with and replaced with a machine screw. Some Fox spinners were die cast, and some were machined from bar.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:57:41 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline W.D. Roland

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
The spun ones are what I am after. The Veco (or was it Perfect?) was same as Froom

The Fox bar stock and cast are heavy compared to Froom. These Fox spinners(one I have) are from 70s.
David Roland

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »
The spun ones are what I am after. The Veco (or was it Perfect?) was same as Froom

The Fox bar stock and cast are heavy compared to Froom. These Fox spinners(one I have) are from 70s.

The Veco's are spun, I don't know about the Perfect's.  Watch Ebay. Use keyword Veco Spinners.  I've sold quite a few of them on Ebay that I bought at swap meets and R/C flea markets.  I've found the Veco Spinners to have almost a cult following.  They'll go anywhere from $10 to $40, depending on size and condition.  There are a few on Ebay right now. (not mine)  I don't have any at the moment.
Jerry

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:46 PM »
Jerry,
You do realize that there will be 2 other CFS models at the flying field. You know that your going to have to fight to be king of the hill. Don't make it too pretty :X put your 'A' motor on it  VD~. Snooze and you'll lose Z@@ZZZ  LL~. Hitting Asphault is really painful mw~  y1
Dennis

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »
Jerry,
You do realize that there will be 2 other CFS models at the flying field. You know that your going to have to fight to be king of the hill. Don't make it too pretty :X put your 'A' motor on it  VD~. Snooze and you'll lose Z@@ZZZ  LL~. Hitting Asphault is really painful mw~  y1
Dennis

Now you tell me.  I was making the plane nice.  I thought we were going to play nice.  Nice looking planes look better going in anyhow.  Here's the latest pic.  It's pretty much ready for covering.  I'm going to cover the components before I assemble it, like you suggested Dennis.  I never did that before but it makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:55:05 PM by Jerry Reider »
Jerry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Any *newer* pictures of the SCS??  This thread got down the list. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
Here ya go Bill.  What's up with that?  I had a couple posted on this thread.  This pic is hot off the building table.  The canopy cements is not even completely dry.  I've flown it a few times and I've changed the engine.  I put one of my trusted OS Max-s 35's on it.  I didn't quite the way the Enya 35 ran.  Flies great!!  Much better than the profile Flite Streaks that I've had.
Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here