News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST 35 G21 help please  (Read 1049 times)

Offline John_Craig

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
ST 35 G21 help please
« on: December 01, 2009, 06:20:53 PM »
I have two  Super Tigre 35s that I have cleaned & have new bearings to put in them.  One was completely disassembled the other only partially.  I can only get the connecting rod half way off the crank pin.  So it appears that I MUST remove the wrist pin & its retainer through the little hole that is normally closed with an aluminum screw on the back of the case ??

What is the easiest way to get them out?  Then replace that last new retainer through that little tiny hole?

My bearings are shielded on both sides.  Do I need to remove one of the shields for good lubrication?

Can anyone suggest a source for parts for the olde plain bearing ST 35?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:38:43 AM by John_Craig »

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: ST 35 G20 help please
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 02:24:48 PM »
I've noticed that some earlier ST's do need to disassemble through the hole at the back. I did fix up a series of thin piano wire rods with a tiny hook on the end, and with this I could fish out the pin. This is after grinding the points (or finding the right pair) on a pair of pliers so fine they would reach in and hoick out the circlip. Or a thin and strong enough pair of tweezers. Then to reassemble, a brass tube of appropriate dia., to hold the circlip in the required dia. to go into its seating, a second tube that fits in the first one to hold it square in the first tube and push it out once it is in place, so it springs out into its seating, and finally a rod through the second tube to centre the whole caboodle in the pin. Hope this makes sense.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
T.D.C. and infexable concentration.

'a positive mental attitude'

Maybe needle nose pliars (carefully - )and a slight twist on the crank,
a wiggle of a few degree's and it should slip on.

or try B.D.C.

Minimisation of angle is the trick.and possibly 1 drop of stiff lube to avoid galling.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:03:44 PM »
John
Dumb question but you have pulled the sleeve out?
Make sure rod can slide on wrist pin to back of piston, old castor goo funk can stop it from sliding back.

On the bearings.
What quality did you get?
You need the best or may suffer ball retainer pieces through the piston/sleeve when parts are slung off retainer.
The Fafnir bearing with phenolic retainer is basically blow proof and what I always used.

What parts are you looking for?

David
David Roland

Offline John_Craig

• 2014 Supporters
  • New Pilot
Re: ST 35 G21 help please
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
Thank you for the help.  My problem was the connecting rod was only partially  free on the rest pin.  Once I loosened that up. No problem.  New bearing in & engines together.  Now to build a classic combat plane for each of my combat engines to fly just for fun.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here