News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:16:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speed limit / fast combat  (Read 3064 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Speed limit / fast combat
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:16:54 PM »
I bought several older fast ships and parts to make couple speed limit ships. Most are foamies and need some repair but are decent.  I have a new tuned Muggleton MK 4 and just got a couple of used MK 4's. One looks real good other compression isn't that great. Plus have a .25F/.28F OS engines. Some older Johnson C/S's. FP-.35 set up for bladder with remotenva. All will be run on bladder and have several OS .10's nva's .
Are alunium mounts still available for Fox Mk4 engine? Plus how about those long bolts for mounting them. I have two sets but they only fit my Allenplane. I could make some maple ones and add some plywood braces with fiberglass/epoxy. I did this to a F2D ship and it came out good. Years ago only place to fly combat planes was Whittier Narrows and that was a pain. We stayed late one day and it was scary getting out of park. Had a great day flying combat models but locals were out in great numbers. Last time I stayed late. Miles Sq. was hard top field and thats to rough on comat ships. Any way just like to get some of these going and having some fun.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:08:20 PM by dankar »

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Speed limit / fast combat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
          Dan, you inspired me to pull my planes out yesterday. I'm just learning how to do speed limit combat. So far, I can keep the plane out of the ground and stay out of line tangles. I've had a few midairs though. Yesterday, my son who was flying a Demon with a MK3 and myself flying a Flite Streak with the same setup had ourselves a fast combat match. Both planes flying on bladder flat out. I was able to follow him a bit and it was truly a first for me and a great time. Ken

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
Hi Ken
Good for you and glad to hear it. Picked up a MK 6 Fox and some SLC covering. Also some mounts and bolts. Next couple of days doing some recovering and repair work.
I like flying these and they really move out. Should have tree fast ships reay to go very soon and couple more in a few weeks. Great fun and keep them out of the ground.
Cheers,Dan    #^

Update: All birds repaired and recovered. I need to make some engine bearer shims and rehook all controls. New horns and all looks good. The cores and bits I got are enough for two more ships. Recieved a decent Johnson.36 BB combat and fit it to one of these. Engine even had red restrictor in venturi. Plan on running this and the MK6 today to seen how they do.   #^
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:08:18 PM by dankar »

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:23:30 PM »
Update: I needed some mounts/ hardware but made most of it. Recieved covering and did repairs. New horns/ pushrods etc. Picked up two more MK6's and bought a Fora .06. Sent GRS payment for two mini Ande combat ships for the Fora. Payment cleared over a week ago and no delivery yet. No replies to emails either. Kind of fustrating trying to get items when vendors ignore emails. I know they do other work to but an email takes a minute. My plan was have fleet of a mix of combat ships to fly. Fast/ speed limit/ F2D/ 1/2A and some just for sport. I have full size car and they stack up easily in car. Plus fit a big stunt ship also. Make a fun day at field. I like the looks of proflie when flying and going fast/ stunts are fun. Problem with Fora is rear exhaust and asked GRS about mounts. He use to sell the Fora. My friend has a Cyclon and hope to get it from him. the Cyclon has an angle on exhaust. almost there just await new planes and answer.
I have not had any problems before with any vendors but things have changed. If you take and cash payment send the goods, and answer emails.
Dan  HB~>   H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:29 AM »
Have you tried the phone? VD~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:26:21 AM »
OK, anybody have GRS phone #.  He did answer some emails before and then I sent payment.  Just want to know status of shipment and a couple of answers. I wanted to know if Fora .06 he sold had rear exhaust or was it like the Cyclon with an angle to exhaust. Also need a mount for Fora .06. I got engine from Hobby club and it is listed as competion engine. Exhaust is to rear straight and would be problem with l/e of plane. Maybe at angle mount??
Dan

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:40:35 AM »
Hi Dan, try getting a phone number for George from AMA or MACA. I've heard some stories  >:( about his service.   Good luck...Chad

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
If anyone has number please send it in a p/m, email etc. i don't want to bag anybody , just want the goods.  They are paid for and need to be taken care of. If sent how? when/ etc. Payment cleared bank on Oct. 7-2011. George gave no sign that shipping would be a problem. Gave me address and amount for planes.
Dan HB~> HB~>

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »
If you have a name and address, white pages on the computor will give a phone number.   That is how I have found people before.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »
Dan
Posted his work phone for you on the other site....

Try that.

If not will check with a family member for you..... but won't be quick.
David Roland

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:55:35 AM »
Thanks Dave, but what other site?  I was hoping planes would show up anyday but nada. Emailed again to no avail.  I know mail is slower and slower as time goes by.  If it shipped I just wanted to know when/ how. Thanks for yout interest. Want to get it all ready and burn up some shy.
Dan   H^^

Offline sleepy gomez

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
Does anyone know how to reach Tim Sokup?  Or perhaps another combat flyer that makes his own planes?  Never thought I would say this but I have some foam that is too light for my purposes.  It is a foam box approximately 36" x 22" x 4".  All the pieces are 3/4" thick.  I can't weigh it accurately but I believe it to be 1/2 pound density.  I hope someone can use it.  Can't ship.  Could deliver to Dallas when it is convenient.

Sleepy Gomez
515 S. Main
Rising Star, Tx 76471
Sleepygomez@gmail.com
*63-899-0656

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 06:51:01 PM »
Well got an email from George. He said planes have been sent.  Very brief reply but at least something.  SH^ **)

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Planes arrived and look Purdy. Thank you George. I am happy I got them, now to get mounts for the Fora. Engine is rear exhaust and I don't know if it same one GRS sold.
I don'r want to fry leading edge up. Anybody have photos of modern 1/2A combat ship ready to rock??  Bladder and all no problem. Just the mounting of Fora and Cyclon. They have that weird case and beam mounts will not work.  y1
Cheers,Dan

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
You could take a look around the web site www.flyinglines.org combat section.

I stole a picture off it for you:

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
Cris,
Thank you, I'll check it out.  H^^

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 02:41:40 PM »
Planes arrived and look Purdy. Thank you George. I am happy I got them, now to get mounts for the Fora. Engine is rear exhaust and I don't know if it same one GRS sold.
I don'r want to fry leading edge up. Anybody have photos of modern 1/2A combat ship ready to rock??  Bladder and all no problem. Just the mounting of Fora and Cyclon. They have that weird case and beam mounts will not work.  y1
Cheers,Dan

Had one, older fora, use a cut up pop can.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 11:00:24 AM »
Yes I was going to make some sort of deflector. My friend borrowed a Uckham2.5cc rear exhaust to try it out for speed limit combat. Engine ran good but rear exhaust and melted l/e pretty good after several flights. Uckham had plastic back plate that kept getting loose. I bought engine cheap and it did run pretty good.
Dan

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:33:51 AM »
       I use a VA on my Czech bird and I just roughed up the covering and glued a piece of aluminum to the leading edge. I think it was about .005. It was slightly heavier than aluminum foil. It was approx. 2" in width. Using the rear exhaust engine with about 5 deg. of offset puts the exhaust right up against the leading edge. My leading edge is foam and it shows no signs of melting. Ken

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
Ken, sounds like good idea.  My plan was that planes arrived that he might still have some mounts.  The Fora has similar case as Cyclon 2.5cc with odd ball case. I may for now use a Norvel .061. I don't know of Norvell nva will work with bladder. Maybe Galbreath small nva, something else to buy.
Dan

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
          I never had success with running the stock needle on the Norvel's. There are some that do work better than others. I have a stock short brass one that works fair. The longer needles on the Big Mig is far to course. If you have some of the production Cox backplates you can press out the needle valve body. I then take a short piece of 1/8 brass tubing and file a fishmouth into it. Cut the tubing with the cutout approx 1/2 long and solder the piece centered over the hole in the spray bar. The red body backplates generally have the 128 tpi. You now have a remote needle that works terrific. Do not get solder into the spraybar hole. I was able to use a T-pin inserted through the tubing and into the spraybar hole to keep the solder from going into the hole. You probably wondering how all this is possible. I have a jig sort of like the kind used in fishing for fly tying. I replaced the metal alligator clips with wooden clothespins so they don't act as heat sinks. Ken

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here