News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow Combat  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Slow Combat
« on: March 13, 2008, 07:12:24 PM »
Well here i go!,  planning on trying my hand at slow speed limit combat this summer.  Will have lots of questions coming. First of all , anyone have a favorite remote needle they prefer? My thumb is not healing all that fast from a prop bite! Also, what is the  best way to cap off the end of 1/4 inch bladder latex i bought from Ace hardware? I have seen pellets and .22 casings but thought there should be something better. And what to use for glo power hook up while in a competition, clip on or spring loaded push on and what is the best battery set up to power it? Will be starting out with OS LA 25 and OS 25F. Both engines start and run fine on bench mount.  Thanks for any tips from experience.  Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Re: Slow Combat
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »
Since no one has jumped in here  I will add my own 2 cents, and that is about all it is worth.

1) Slow combat or Speed limit?  they are not the same.

2) Bladder material..... Just be careful the stuff from the hardware store is often too thick and will give you too high of pressure.  I would get a foot or so from Phil, Tom Siegler, Melvin Schulte or GRS.  If you use the thick wall stuff, you may have trouble needling the engine.

3) 22 castings, aircraft rivets, short chunks of nylon or al rod (smooth), irrigation good plugs all work fine.  you can tie a knot in it too. 

4) I like close pin style clips, long wires so you can stand up and big batteries.  I use an old globee.  Others use 1 12 power pannel, some have had failures.  my borther loves the little radio south ones.  For combat, clips and wires still seem the way to go. 

5) The OS 10 remote needle seem popular.  OS#1A about $9.

6) Get some method to pinch the fuel line. 
go to
http://www.clcombat.info
or

http://necn.homestead.com/

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:29:50 PM »
Dave, thanks for all the ideas and tips,  this seems to be a quiet topic ( combat) . Maybe i can get a few sparks going with a few more questions to come!! Thanks again!   Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Ray

• Lieutenant
Re: Slow Combat versus Speed Limited Combat
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »
The actual AMA Slow Combat event was engineered for disaster by the rule set adopted, and didn't last very long (at least, wasn't well attended for long).  It became a case of too-frequent total loss midairs chasing knots in strings. 

Speed Limit seemed to hold a great deal of promise, if promoted right.  But so far, it has seemed to me that only a few new fliers have been attracted.  The most popular in Texas has been to run F2D gear with 7-4 props, with a higher (80 mph) limit.  One of the most active versions of Speed Limit has been the odd variety flown in the far NE area with a modified Arrowplane type of design and OS 32 SXes. 

D>K

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:17:23 PM »
The nice thing about Speed Limit is that fliers can use a lot of different airplanes and engines successfully and different areas of the country tend to use their own limits.  A given speed on a given length/diameter of lines pretty much dictates how big and heavy the plane has to be, but the limits are pretty wide.  On 60 ft. 018 lines anything from 70 mph or so up to 80 works.  Any plane that weighs more than 16-17 ounces can be trimmed to fly well, even with a good deal of wind.
phil Cartier

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:16 PM »
           Ray, did you run the La25 on the bench while using the bladder? Did you open the venturi hole? My son and I are using a La .15 with the stock remote needle valve set up. It does work, but its a little touchy. I set it off slightly rich but it comes around in a lap or two. Phil C recommended the Os 1a needle valve which I just currently installed but haven't run it. The weather hasn't been very cooperative lately. Ken Cook

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:07:02 PM »
Kenneth, yes i ran several bladders on the bench thru the LA 25 with the stock rc carb , this one has the needle on the venturi, and it ran fine. If i looked at it right , the needle in the stock rc carb i have is the same as the os 1a remote needle set up, anyway i took off that carb , added a cl venturi and spray nipple and mounted the needle valve assembly as a remote. Have not tested it yet on the plane, hopeful for the weekend. Ray

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »
Someone else commented on touchy needle settings with hardware store latex tubing used for bladders.   I have seen a couple things used to slow the fuel flow before it gets to the needle when pressure is too high.  A bead from a craft store large enough to block the tubing but with a small hole through it sometimes works.   Another restrictor is available in some auto supply stores with their tubing joiners for things like vacuum lines.   Finally the simplest I ever saw was in Phil's column about a year ago.   Use your dremel to cut a piece of 4-40 or 6-32 bolt about 1/8" long.  Push it into the fuel line.   What bleeds around the threads is just about right.   If there is still too much pressure go with a longer piece.   Remember to debur the ends of the cutoff bolt or you will puncture your fuel line.
Bob

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 07:48:11 AM »
While on the subject of Slow Combat, anyone have a favorite built up wing plane. I bought Wilk's combat cd and am considering building a couple to sport fly.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here