News:

• May 04, 2024, 12:57:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rossi .15 P&R Mod for COX TD.15 Special MK-II &  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
Rossi .15 P&R Mod for COX TD.15 Special MK-II &
« on: August 27, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
Just wondering if anyone knows the details on the mod for the COX TD.15 Special MK-II running the Rossi piston & con-rod? I heard it was a popular thing to do back in the days.. and are those parts still available?  As one of my TD.15 MK-II threw a rod and killed the piston a few weeks ago. HB~>

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:47:48 PM by Joe Yau »

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: Rossi .15 P&R Mod for COX TD.15 Special MK-II &
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 06:15:29 AM »
I never heard of such a thing.

I believe you're thinking of swapping a Rossi with a Cox Conquest, not a Tee Dee.  That was done all the time.  A simple slip fit, no machining required.

In those days, getting Cox parts was easy, Rossi, next to impossible.  Just slipping in a Rossi pistone' y cylindre' sounded good until you tried to find one.   I went the other way.  I kept my two Rossi's going with Cox parts, until one blew a crank, which I could never replace.

By my observation, the Rossi was over-rated like a Ferrari, and the Cox was underated like a Corvette.  People were conned into going to great lengths to pay $150 for a Rossi while you could get a Cox (just as good) for $40.

That whole issue was buried by Henry Nelson.
Paul Smith

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »
I never heard of such a thing.

I believe you're thinking of swapping a Rossi with a Cox Conquest, not a Tee Dee.  That was done all the time.  A simple slip fit, no machining required.

In those days, getting Cox parts was easy, Rossi, next to impossible.  Just slipping in a Rossi pistone' y cylindre' sounded good until you tried to find one.   I went the other way.  I kept my two Rossi's going with Cox parts, until one blew a crank, which I could never replace.

By my observation, the Rossi was over-rated like a Ferrari, and the Cox was underated like a Corvette.  People were conned into going to great lengths to pay $150 for a Rossi while you could get a Cox (just as good) for $40.

That whole issue was buried by Henry Nelson.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the insight.  H^^   I just heard it from one of the guys from the club..  and hoping it was true ohwell.  I guess I'm out of luck.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:01:50 AM »
theres cox parts on ebay from a Canadian who got the stock , or suchlike .mayhavem.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »
I wouldn't bet on it.

The Olympic went out in the early 60's when the Tee Dee came in.
The Conquest beat out the TeeDee 15 in the early 80's, thereby ending era of 15's with screw-in cylinders and ball joint rods.
K&B took over the Conquest 15 business from Cox/Estes.

I believe the TeeDee 15 business was long gone before the current owers bought out the .049's.   

I had an Olympic 15 around 1960.  I didn't do well with it & would like to give it another try.  It was a $7.95 engine and the Ebayers getting $150 to $250 for one now (of questionable condition).  I'm not that interested.
Paul Smith

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
Was on MECOA the other day, the K&B conquest is rather pricey at $150.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »
You're right.  Unless you really want an historic engine, you can get a modern one less expensive and better. 
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here