News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Riley Wooten PIRATE kit maybe?  (Read 686 times)

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Riley Wooten PIRATE kit maybe?
« on: April 28, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »

Riley Wooten used the Fox .35 stunt to power his first published combat design....the PIRATE (see Flying Models ... June 1955).  Riley didn't enter competition combat events to lose and he claimed very good contest results with the PIRATE in 1954 and 1955.  He said "the PIRATE has placed first or second in every contest entered...winding up with its streamer intact"!  When I was flying competition combat in 1954 and 1955, I admit that I was using K&B .35 greenheads.  Of course, I did not own a Fox .35 at that time and would not until the Summer of 1956.  Today, my collection of Fox .35 stunt engines numbers 28.  I built a PIRATE in 1955 and used the K&B .35 greenhead for power.  It was too much power for the original wing spar arrangement and the wings folded during tight maneuvers.  I have the original article and full sized plan for the PIRATE and hope to build another one soon. This time I will strengthen the wing and yes, use a 1955 model Fox .35 on it just like Riley used on his.  I do suspect Riley warmed his Foxes up a little bit, but that is another subject for another time.  This discussion (Fox .35 stunt...friend or foe?) has raged through these forums for years but regardless, the Fox .35 was a very good engine for its time and for the applications it was designed for.  No other control line engine can match its record of use from 1948 through 2011.  It is still going strong regardless of the Fox saboteurs who have tried to discredit it.  I am hoping that Builditright will consider doing a Wooten PIRATE kit some day...maybe.....TDurrill      H^^

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:50:53 AM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Riley Wooten PIRATE kit maybe?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
One nice thing about a Fox 35 Stunt.  You can't hop it up much and expect it to hold together, at least not with the stock parts.  Either the crank, the rod, or the crankpin will let go, usually sooner rather than later.  But if you keep it stock and don't use gobs of nitro they can run very well and last a very long time with 25-29% castor oil in the fuel.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here