News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:09:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RC car engine conversions  (Read 784 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
RC car engine conversions
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
I know that fast combat is dying. The word is alot of competitors want to use existing F2D equipment with the kill rule. My question is regarding the Rc car engine conversions being used in Slow rat. Has anyone considered using these instead of the F2d engines? I know if you already fly F2d then using that equipment makes sense, but those engines are costly. I also figure the learning curve is rather step. How about an Open .25 class. If you want to run an OS .25 thats great. If you want to run some conversion thats fine to. Maybe limit the nitro to 15 or 20%.
I'm not currently competing, but would like to at some point. I'm sure that SL is a great learning tool, and saves a bunch of airframes from the dumpster, but I hate to see the planes throttled back.
 I still remember going to Dayton and Cinncinati and there was a TON of competitors. I know those days are gone ,but soon combat will be a thing of the past, if something isn't done.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
Re: RC car engine conversions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
Those that are flying F2D already have the equipment to fly "kill combat". The availability of ready to use gear, why tinker with other stuff?

I'm not familiar with car engines, do they have a crankshaft that will fit a prop without major work like a new crank? The cost of making new cranks would be high.

The European engines are amazing in performance and quality, the engines and mounts work as a system, the dimensions have been standardized for interchangeability.

The airframes can be bought for under $40 (before shipping) engines $190 and up.   http://shop.viko-shop.com/index.php?osCsid=4fd5b3d44d2533626197b4b8b6d7f179

Speed limit combat eliminates the need for hi-po engines, my set ups are Thunder Tiger .25 on Gotcha Psycho 550.
AMA 77370

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:34 AM »

Read the link below.  While it isn't on every hobby shop shelf, there is a lot of F2d stuff out there now.  The stuff is good and works with minimal screwing around.  Must guy that travel to contests, will pay for that relialabality, and comon spares.  If you have an odball engine and you have a problem, you are out on your own.   

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/06_11/combat.htm
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »
From the pictures that I have seen the RC car engines crank has no threads on the end(place for clutch?). I'm assuming the cl racing guys have already done the homework on either new cranks or machining OEM.
I agree if you already have F2d equipment, then use it.If my memory serves me right, don't you have to buy a minimum(10) of airframes from Viko? Add to that at least three engines, looks like 1k to me. I guess I'd better finish the Pyschos I have, and set them up for Speed Limit.
Other than the Nats, is there any combat close to Indy? I know the FCM has a meet @ Muncie(august?).

Thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
AMA 77370

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:29:30 PM »
From the pictures that I have seen the RC car engines crank has no threads on the end(place for clutch?). I'm assuming the cl racing guys have already done the homework on either new cranks or machining OEM.
I agree if you already have F2d equipment, then use it.If my memory serves me right, don't you have to buy a minimum(10) of airframes from Viko? Add to that at least three engines, looks like 1k to me. I guess I'd better finish the Pyschos I have, and set them up for Speed Limit.
Other than the Nats, is there any combat close to Indy? I know the FCM has a meet @ Muncie(august?).

Thanks
Steve

You can buy airplanes in 1's and 2's from someone that is getting a whole box.  I would suggest finding someone that is getting a box.  He may sell or give you a few "hurt" airplanes that can be repaired.  There are at least 10 ppl that are can set you up. 

As far as engines,  I really think you don't need 3.  One good one and a backup would be enough starting out.  Also some of the same guys can set up with last years engines for smaller $, and it will be fine for learning and speed limit.

Chicago has a contest in 2 weeks.  Detroit has a several.   The larger fomies fly well too. 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
If they do away with fast as we know it, will it still be on 60 foot lines with the new equipment?   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here