News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:58:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS FP .15  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Mike Palko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
OS FP .15
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »
   I am not sure how many of you use or have used this little engine for combat, but I had to comment on it's surprising power and durability so far.

Dan Banjock and myself bought foam F2D wings from Phil C. at a GSCB swap meet a year or two ago. We both had good FP .15's so we decided to use them not knowing how well they would pull a 500sq" + wing.

Our first flights/match was with a stock FP .15, .230 venturi, stock needle/spray bar, bladder pressure, 35% nitro and a Master Airscrew 7x4. The performance was good and fun to fly, but it didn't have what we were looking for. Were pro's at this remember ::) (more on that later).

In search of more power we removed the stock needle valve and venturi and replaced it with a ~.285 insert. The only reason for the insert is to push a piece a surgical tubing onto to prevent dirt getting in the engine in an event of a crash.

To needle the engine we used a R/C style needle valve mounted behind the engine. This prevents broken needles, and lets the engine breath better.

The flight results were so good (didn't sound to bad either ;D) we had to throw a tach on it. The FP .15, .285 intake, rear mounted needle, 35% nitro, bladder pressure, and MA 7x4 turned 20,400RPM!!!  :o Both Dan and I were surprised of the power they are making. We aren't sure how long they will last at this level, but we sure will enjoy it.

As for the pro comment earlier, we have since backed off to 10% nitro to keep them in the air :-[. Even though the performance won't touch a true F2D setup we have flown VERY little combat in the past few years and for some reason the circle gets very crowded very quickly ::). So much for MORE power........... lol

Mike         

Offline Leonard Rennick

• Lieutenant
Re: OS FP .15
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »
If you want to really make those planes move, pick up a Norvel 15, SIG has them on close out. I use a APC 7x4 and 10% nitro. The one probelm with the Norvel is you will have to use either alligator clips or a glow driver as the fins are nonconducting.
Leonard Rennick AMA 865846

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
Way to go Mike.  Now take the next step put in a Nelson plug head, jack the sleeve up 20 thou or so, adjust the head clearance, and open the crank up to ~200 degrees of intake duration, closing at 55 deg. or so.  That ought to get it up to 22,000 rpm or so.

For a benchmark, a typical F2D motor turns a 6.4/3.5 in. fiberglass prop around 28,000 rpm on the ground, on 10% nitro.
phil Cartier

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »
Phil or anyone with experience,
   How does the FP .15 hold together at these high RPM's? I know the FP's are hot sport engines, but they are still plain bearing. What goes first, the rod?

Leonard,
   Thanks for the tip about the Norvel .15. I think I would like to get a true F2D ship to have fun with only. No combat, yet. It would be way to fast for me!

Mike   

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:42:50 PM »
Not too surprising.. The Indonesians were using LA .15s for Combat, they were getting maybe 3.2-3.3 second laps. I've been doing the same except with the cheap ASP .15s (trying to shoot for the 3.2 second/lap Antipodean Speed Limit). You could probably pick up a little more speed by trying different props - most of the .15s we used back in the early 80s (ST G15s, ST X15, Rossi .15, Fox .15s, etc.) liked the 7x4 props cut down somewhat (6.5 usually). Never tached one back then, I wish I had now. A 500 sq. in. wing sounds too big, but should still work.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »
Mike, I think your main worry will be wearing out the piston/liner from crashes and dirt.  I've been running a TT 15 at 22,000 plus for about 40 flights.  It shows no signs of unusual wear.  With the aluminum piston I rather doubt you can get a plain bearing engine to run fast enough to break anything. 

All the engines I've seen that tended to break things(G21-35, Fox Mk III, IV, green head Torp, and others) had iron pistons and design/manufacturing flaws.

phil Cartier

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
Good points Phil. I agree about the crashes.  :-[

Mike

Offline Steve Reeve

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Hi All,

I have been using modified OS LA 15's in vintage combat but have yet to do a Nelson head.
My questions are what size drill and tap for a Nelson plug?
Do the glow bee style plugs offer more peformance than the Nelson plug?
What shape and sizes for squish band and combustion chamber with 40 to 50% nitro?

Regards
Stephen

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:11:23 PM »
Nelson, Turbo, and "glo-bee" type work because the plug threads aren't exposed to the combustion chamber.  No pressure leak up the threads.

Assuming you have a lathe, IMO the easiest way to adapt a Nelson to any engine is to use the blanks made by Henry.  They have the plug recess cut, the combustion chamber needs to be cut and the rest of the head or button arrangement turned.  Along with the blanks he sells a steel lathe mandrel to hold the blank.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »
On the original thread, if you think the OSFP is good, try a MAGNUM XLS!  Hobby People had them a couple of days last month for $44.99, normally 69.99 the same as the OSLA.  The FP isn't available anymore, I think.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Steve Reeve

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 01:48:47 AM »
Hi Don,

Yes I do have a lathe, I was planing to do the whole lot from scratch as thats part of the fun.

Stephen

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 10:09:28 AM »
At one time I think Glen Dye had a step drill that cut everything but the thread for a Nelson plug.  To my knowledge he no longer has any (I waited too long to order one, drat) but he might chime in here with the dimensions.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
I have not done any nelson heads lately, but they are no big deal to do on a lathe. Set the compound rest at the proper angle, center, drill through hole, bore the body hole to proper depth, while on the final pass crank the compound to form the seat angle.   I stick the tap into the tailstock and turn the chuck by hand to get the threads. I then screw a dead plug into the head blank to use as something to grip with when I do the combustion chamber side of the head. Most of the time I use a ball end mill for the combustion chamber. After I face off the head to get the plug depth, I use the ball end mill for the cumbustion chamber. The dead plug is sacrifical as I try to get a feather edge to the glow plug hole, and the mill goes into the plug.  I don't have any numbers on hand,  I am sure I have them on a card or drawing someplace.

All this being said, I don't think making a nelson type head is worth the effort for a sport type engine.

Offline Steve Reeve

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:13:56 AM »
Hi Mike,

Any numbers you could find would be appreciated.
I'm not sure how much difference a nelson head will make but every little bit counts.
The mods I've done so far only picked up about 400 rpm static but it now unloads nicely in the air.
Dropped times of my warlords from 30 for 10 laps down to mid 28's on a 7*4 and sub 28's on a 6*5.
It would be nice to get it to sub 28's on the 7*4's as they are white nylon so they don't break as often.

Stephen

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here