News:

• May 06, 2024, 06:10:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Fora 049  (Read 2814 times)

ChrisSarnowski

• Trade Count: (0)
New Fora 049
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Finally got the chance to start up my new Fora 049 today. It was not too bad to get started by hand (no electric starter). Just some ground runs today, hope to put some flights on her this week.

Be sure to rinse out the engine before turning over or starting. Mine had some leftover machining crud in it.

-Chris

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: New Fora 049
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
              Good luck with it Chris. Now to get those Russian glass props. Ken

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
Positive thoughts for the props!

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 06:53:22 AM »
I forgot to mention that the prop shaft on this engine is 5mm, which is bigger than the old GRS Fora.
The glass props and also Steve Wilks props need to be drilled out to fit.

Hey Dan did you get enough guys together for an order on the green props?

-Chris

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »
Chris, I can unload about 70 props. I need some combat guys to get together and help make it happen. I am awaiting word from a fellow that Ken Cook knows who might have more info.

I broke one at the Nats last week.

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »
Got a flight on the Fora 049 yesterday. I'm still figuring out which prop it likes.

At the Nats the GRS Fora that I was using (different engine) like a smaller prop than the green prop.

I was using something like the green prop yesterday and it only turned up to about 25k on the ground.
I'm going to cut it down a bit and try again. Also actual greenie just in case.

The engine wasn't happy with a Cox 5x4 black nylon prop, only turned up about 20k on the ground.

-Chris

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »
             Chris, I believe that should be doing better than that. Is there a restrictor in the case for the venturi? What nitro are you using? I remember Dawson telling me his wasn't turning up the rpm's until he opened the venturi. This was a GRS engine. I have the engine now I just need a crank. Our Profi is 33k-34k with the purple prop which is lighter on diameter and pitch. The Cox black 5 x 3 cut down to 4 1/4" would be a good start as well as this is what the others are running on Cyclons. I'm using the Cox trimmed down as well. The APC 4.6 x 3 is another good choice and you can trim that down 1/8" at a time to check your results. Ken
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:48:28 PM by kenneth cook »

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
          Chris, it has been brought to my attention on some of the websites that they're no through holes on the rear of the case to accept the mounts I had made. Did yours bolt up to the mount? Seeing that Technohobby shows a picture of the engine, they have no holes in the standard lugs or the rear of the case. This is most frustrating. Ken

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for info. I am using Powermaster GMA 10% nitro 11% castor 11% synthetic oil. There is no venturi insert on the new Fora. I also thought that the RPM's were low. I will try trimming the prop down a bit at a time and see how that goes.

The Fora is drilled for the mounts that you had made, and fits well. The old GRS Fora's that I had borrowed for the Nats didn't quite fit those new mounts. Only way to make it fit would have been to dremel the motor case so I used the mounts that I had borrowed too.

-Chris

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
Hi Chris,
          If you are using the same prop that you had on the GRS Fora and it is turning lower RPMs, check to see if you can remove some head shims before you cut the prop. Removing some shims can make a huge RPM difference on those small engines. Please keep us updated on your testing.
Thanks  Al

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
Well, I did some more testing today. On a proper green glass prop, the little Fora turned up 29.2k rpm. Same fuel as before, Powermaster GMA 10%. Don't have any more of the props that I had used at the Nats, so may trim down a green prop to see how that does. Also will check head clearance.

-Chris

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 05:37:37 AM »
                Chris that certainly sounds better. I would certainly increase the nitro to try it. I find it a bit hard at time to get a good setting on 10%. I have to run my Cyclon for a minute or two and then go for the needle setting. The green prop is 126mm which converts to shy of 5". The purple is about 4 5/8". The blue if you have one works but it may bog down in the turns a bit due to the pitch being slightly heavier. I would think 25% nitro would easily give you 1000-1500 rpm's over the 10%. The oil content is a bit more in the Powermaster as well. I run Sig fuels mainly which is 20% total oil 50/50 Klotz /castor. I'm working my way up to ball bearing .049's in combat. We had a match last weekend on 35' lines with Norvel .061's. Ken

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:21:47 PM »
Hey guys I would like some help too. I got 2 new fora .049's from Hobby Club last month. Me and another guy that fly speed limit combat want to try some 1/2a combat. We have some cores and are going to build litehawk type planes. For testing the motors a few weeks ago we had 1 brodak gladiator and a prototype hawk. 1st run on 10% omega with a cox 5-3 cut to 4 3/4". The engine reached 20 to 21,000rpms. 2nd run on sig champion 25% and the 5-3 cut to 4"", we hit 25,000 on that one. Both motors acted the same. So, my questions are- Break In?  Props? Fuel? Head shims? Any help would be great. I have run many TD's and Norvels but these are my first Fora's. Was wanting Profi's but could not find any for sale. Thanks, Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:57 AM »
            Mike, I truly believe the wide blade area of the Cox is the downfall to lower rpm's. We use them due to the cost and the fact they can survive impacts. I would keep trimming into the 4 1/4" range. The Russian glass props works excellent but the availability currently is slim.  The APC 4.6 x 3 works well but it could affors some clipped off as well. While myself and many other clip the Cox props square, the APC likes to have the tips rounded back into the trailing edge of the blade for better efficiency vs squared. I'm convinced the 20% oil content is all that's required and this could be some of the reasoning the rpm's are a bit lower. The Cyclon instructions more or less tell you to run the engine removing shims one at a time until the plug blows and then reinstall another and try again. Mike, I had some special mounts made for the Gladiator. The Gladiator is real tail heavy. The mounts places the engine out in front a bit but it still works very well. Although most flyers wouldn't prefer this, it does work and the mounts are all aluminum. If interested, let me know. I have a lot of experience with the plane. Ken

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »
Ok i will keep foolin with props. What about nitro? How much is too much? I already have 2 aluminum radial mounts i found on ebay. As for the gladiator its just a test platform for now, i am not planning to use it for combat. Thanks for the input.  Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
         Mike, I've run Sig 35% in my Profi and Cyclon. It doesn't really need that much. I'm sure 35% is all you would want to go.  We  run 25% for the majority of the running. They will run on 10% but the needle is a bit more finicky in which you have to let the engine get up to temp first then make your setting. I will start it and pinch the bladder to let it lean up and I have my thumb on the case feeling for heat then I set the needle. I prefer the 25% nitro. When my Cyclon was still breaking in, it would take out a plug about every 5 flights. I was adding head shims to avoid this. I haven't had that problem since then. Were the mounts that you received on Ebay from Mike Parkin? If they are, I designed those mounts and Mike made them. I had made a special set for the Gladiator that is longer due to the plane being extremely tail heavy. Ken

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Kenneth, Good info on the nitro thx. I trtied to see who I bought the mounts from but I already deleted it. Mike Parkin sounds right though. I'm sure it was him. They are very nice mounts. I wont get to play with the foras this weekend as I am taking the family camping and we will probably be rained out from whats left of Issac. I will post again after we've done some more engine runs.  Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here