News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nemesis II  (Read 5027 times)

Offline richardhfcl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • AMA 82448
Nemesis II
« on: April 02, 2010, 07:22:53 AM »
Gentlemen,

I was intrigued by a previous thread about the Google search for the Nemesis II, and also flooded with memories of that plane
from the late 70's.  If I recall, the Nemesis II was a mainstay of combat matches in those days.  Not only was it a great airplane,
but an eliptical winged version was flown, called the "Bosta."  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it by a guy named White who
was Howard's roomie at Purdue?  The Bosta seemed to be a lot more work to build, however.

The Nemesis airfoil was also used, I believe, in the Mongoose I slow combat kit, and also in some of the M&P sport models.
such as the Cherokee.

Now, this might be a stretch, but doesn't the Sig Skyray use an airfoil identical to the Nemesis?

There are still Nemesis airfoiled planes flying at our field today, but I need to know:  Was there a Nemesis I?

Many thanks,

Richard Ferrell
Richard Ferrell

AMA 82448

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
Re: Nemesis II
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
My data base shows only the Nemesis II and a 1/2A Nemesis that came later.

Tom Wilk

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:06:01 AM »
That's right about the Nemesis II, Bosta, Neal White, and Mongoose.  I don't know about the Skyray.  Nemeses I and II were about the same, but the max thickness was squished forward to 20 % on the I, and 25% on the II.  I thought the II was a little faster, so I picked it to build more of.  I didn't do a very thorough experiment.  Gary James recently did a CFD analysis that said the I is actually better. I may build another Nemesis I.

The FAI version came later.  Steve Fauble (I think) did the 1/2A. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »
Here is the result of an Xfoil run on the Nemesis I, II, the Eppler 475, Phil Cartier's section and my own design.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:47:59 AM by Gary James »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
Howard, I looked at the CD and CL plots that Gary provided. It looks to me that the difference between the two airfoils (Nemisis I and II) is insignificant until the AoA is very large, like well over 10 degrees. Do you or anybody have any idea what AoA a combat ship might see in a typical tight turn? Do they ever see AoA as large as 10 degrees?

IMWTK.

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
I'd guess they'd get pretty close to stall.  Whatever stall margin one leaves, the Nemesis I looks 14% better than the II, and Gary's even better. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Bill, a rough calculation, an F2D plane going 132 fps can pull about 60g's in the first quarter of a loop.  Back calculating the lift needed(~60lb) I get a Cl of about 1 is needed.  Going by Gary's graphs that puts almost any airfoil well below the stall point.  I don't know of anybody who pushes a plane regularly anywhere near the stall.  Besides the risk of the plane actually stalling and going berserk, the drag starts to go up rapidly above 10 deg., making the plane wallow around.  Most guys seem to have more control than needed, but actively avoid going more than half way around a loop in order to avoid slowing down too much.  The planes can zoom into a corner and not lose too much as long as you avoid prolonged, high G turns.
phil Cartier

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 07:21:18 AM »
Remember that those charts ONLY represent the 2D drag of the airfoil section and not the drag of total system.  As we all know, in CL modeling the drag of the lines themselves are the single biggest contributor to the total drag of the system.  Then there's also the engine hanging out, "plumbing", shutoffs, etc, etc., such that differences in the airfoil section drag tends to get "diluted" by the additional components.

Virtually all 2D sections show the same lift curve slope, and tend to overlay each other until higher angles of attack.  Cambered sections simply shift the curve up and down, but the slope of the line remains the same.  It's not until reaching the higher angles of attack that you start to see any significant differences.  From what I've found, it's pretty much the type of stall mechanism and how long you can delay it from occurring that determines the maximum lift of any particular 2D section.

All that being said, GRAPHS don't win matches, good pilots/pitcrews do.  Have FUN!
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »

Going from the sublime to the mundane here, the Skyray uses the Flite Streak airfoil.  I'm not sure how it compares with the other airfoils mentioned.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
And now for something completely different...

Look what happens to the lift a the Nemesis II airfoil with the simple addition of a 20% chord flap deflected 10 degrees.  Perhaps Johnny Carr was really on to something with the Guillotine after all.

All the airfoil "tweeking" in the world isn't worth what you can get with a simple plain flap.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:46:19 AM by Gary James »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »
Both Phil Cartier and I saw the Wortmann paper on min-drag flaps bout 1976 and concluded they weren't worth the bother (you'd have to build them for about 1.2 oz. to break even), but the airfoil involved was thin at the back, which may have been most of the bother. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »
...Look what happens to the lift a the Nemesis II airfoil with the simple addition of a 20% chord flap deflected 10 degrees.  Perhaps Johnny Carr was really on to something with the Guillotine after all.

All the airfoil "tweeking" in the world isn't worth what you can get with a simple plane flap.

Gary, did you test by adding a flap to the airfoil(longer chord), or shorten the airfoil and keep the chord the same?

Interesting,  pick 10deg on the plane airfoil and get x amount of lift.  The 10 deg. of flap doubles the lift, so look at the drag at 5 deg AOA.  The flapped version generates about 5-6% less drag.

From some similar test Igor Burger did(or was it Serge?) the Flight Streak airfoil(Naca section with a flat fixed flap) also picks up 5-6% better performance.

I predict the combat guys will be going back to the Flite Streak pretty soon.  It's the only reasonable way left to get any more performance out of the wing.
phil Cartier

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 09:51:31 AM »
Gary, did you test by adding a flap to the airfoil(longer chord), or shorten the airfoil and keep the chord the same?

Interesting,  pick 10deg on the plane airfoil and get x amount of lift.  The 10 deg. of flap doubles the lift, so look at the drag at 5 deg AOA.  The flapped version generates about 5-6% less drag.

From some similar test Igor Burger did(or was it Serge?) the Flight Streak airfoil(Naca section with a flat fixed flap) also picks up 5-6% better performance.

I predict the combat guys will be going back to the Flite Streak pretty soon.  It's the only reasonable way left to get any more performance out of the wing.

So the notion that gluing on a fixed flap improves performance does have merit?  I was wondering about that.
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
So the notion that gluing on a fixed flap improves performance does have merit?  I was wondering about that.

No, a fixed flap doesn't really do much except increase the wing area.   Because it increases the wing area, it might decrease the turn radius of the airplane if the additional weight doesn't offset the increase in lift due to greater area.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »

Phil:

The chord remains the same.  That is the only technically accurate way to do it.  The flap is 20% of the length of the chord, so for a 10" chord, the flap would be 2"

Those Wortmann sailplane control surface airfoils always intrigued me, but ya gotta remember, Prof Wortmann designed those for much larger Rn's.  Howard sent me a link to a CFD study that Igor Burger did on them and he concluded that there was a non-linear pitching moment or something funny with them.  On the other hand, both Igor and Paul Walker use a similar technique on their stunt airfoils.  The whole point of the Wortmann sections was to eliminate the pressure peak that occurs at the hinge line when the flap is deflected.  If you look at the surface of the section with the flap deflected to the design position, you will see that it presents a smooth contour to the air.  On the other hand, when the flap is not deflected, the airfoil looks "pinched".

None of this airfoil foolishness has any importance anyway, I'm just goofing around with it because I'm bored.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
....From some similar test Igor Burger did(or was it Serge?) the Flight Streak airfoil(Naca section with a flat fixed flap) also picks up 5-6% better performance.

and then:

No, a fixed flap doesn't really do much except increase the wing area.   Because it increases the wing area, it might decrease the turn radius of the airplane if the additional weight doesn't offset the increase in lift due to greater area. 

???  Am I misunderstanding Phil?
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
and then:

???  Am I misunderstanding Phil?

Did the test that was done with the Flite Streak airfoil non-dimensionalize the chord back to unity or was the 5% performance increase based on the original wing area or chord length?  If it was based on the original wing area/chord and not the increased area and chord due to the addition of the "fixed flap" (whatever THAT is, since a flap, by definition, is a movable surface) then the data is completely invalid.  You HAVE to compare "apples to apples" to have any meaningful information.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline faif2d

• New Pilot
  • From the wilds of NE Texas
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 07:01:33 PM »
I just found this forum.  Wow people still talk about combat!  Yes the 1/2A version was mine, I used the 66% reduction on the Xerox copiers to shrink the curvy bits of the Nemesis II down to 1/2A size.  They came out tail heavy so I built some with 1/32 ply booms.  Howard said they were to light and he was right, they broke during flight.  Talking about airfoils, several years ago Gary sent me some of his new airfoils and I thought they looked kinda familiar.  I copied the Granderdog foils and sent them to Gary as they were VERY close.  I built several of the F2D sizes and the wing could really lift as the planes came out rather heavy.  I haven't flown CL in about 4 years or so but I did mow a circle last summer for 45' lines just never got it together to actually fly.  Attached are the last 2 designs that I have built.  Neither have flown.
I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why! Steve Fauble

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
I just found this forum.  Wow people still talk about combat! 

Hi Steve!  Ya gotta come fly with us.  Lester has organized a WWII 70 mph event with monthly contests around Texas.  FUN.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 11:38:10 AM »
I thought this topic was about the Howard Rush Superplane, the Nemesis II.  What an airplane!  Anybody have any good stories concerning building, sport flying or competition flying these birds?  There should be some great stories out there!  S?P     #^     H^^

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 05:54:59 PM »
Howard, What was the lightest Nemesis you built. My father seems to remember somewhere around 11oz. He said his were usually around 15-17oz.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 10:04:37 AM »
That don't leave much wood in a plane.  I think the Combat Specials were around 10 ounces.  I do remember one young man building his version that weighed just over 13 ounces.  It didn't last very long. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
Howard, What was the lightest Nemesis you built. My father seems to remember somewhere around 11oz. He said his were usually around 15-17oz.

16 1/2 oz. with engine, a plain-bearing Supertigre.  The best flying ones were about 20 oz.

I'm actually building some of these airplanes now.  They will be heavier, especially the ones with Nelsons.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline faif2d

• New Pilot
  • From the wilds of NE Texas
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »
Wow a Nemesis II with a Nelson!  That should be a treat!  S?P
I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why! Steve Fauble

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
Howard,

Are you making any structural changes in the latest Nemesis II's to handle the wild power you are going to get from the Nelson .36?  Are you increasing the wing area on these models to take care of the extra weight of the engine?........TDurrill   #^   H^^

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »
I plan to add some black stuff to the Nelson-powered ones.  No size changes.  That wouldn't be authentic. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 06:24:05 AM »
I plan to add some black stuff to the Nelson-powered ones.  No size changes.  That wouldn't be authentic. 

3mm strips laminated to the top of the 1/4" sq spars just underneath the l.e. sheeting would give you the stiffness that you are looking for and would not spoil the authenticity.  Sounds fun.  I wanna see them the next time I get a layover in SEA.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 09:46:13 AM »
16 1/2 oz. with engine, a plain-bearing Supertigre.  The best flying ones were about 20 oz.

I'm actually building some of these airplanes now.  They will be heavier, especially the ones with Nelsons. 

Get a Mag 36.  It only weighs 7.25 oz.

I tried some spar folding experiments around 1974, when I first got ahold of the TWA engines.  I used 1/8 x 1/4 hard balsa spars, with a vertical spar joiner out to 4 in. span.  I folded a couple when the spar failed in compression out past the joiner, about half span.  1/8 x 3/8 also folded, failing in compression.  Going to 1/8 x 3/8 bass or spruce spars solved that problem.  Save yourself some trouble, and use 1/4 x 1/4 spruce spars, plus a shear web at the root, and at mid span.
phil Cartier

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
Too late.  I haven't flown them yet, though.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »

Howard, would you like to show us some pix? 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »
I'm ashamed for anybody to see them until I strip off the Lustrekote.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Wouldn't shame me Howard! LL~
Post em!
Come on now... I posted pics of my silly airplanes.
David Roland

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 06:54:14 PM »

Howard:

PolyFiber Light looks a lot like silk, but can be heat shrunk.  However, you must use their "polytack" to glue it down and their product line is specifically formulated to be compatible with each other.  Here is the link:  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/polyfiberuncertified.php
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »

What was the stuff you guys used in Glenview when you were finishing the planes at the NATS?  Or was that your cohorts? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »
Is there a online copy of the Nemesis II construction article and bill of materials?
AMA 77370

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »

Nemesis II * 1972 AAM Aug p14 * Rush, Howard M.

send me your email address off forum and I'll send the scans.

Tom Wilk
http://oldmagazineplansoncd.com/Home_Page.html

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here