News:

• May 09, 2024, 01:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My new project  (Read 692 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
My new project
« on: June 29, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
Here is my new toy thanks to Ken Cook.
He handed me this plane at Brodaks. Looks like it is going to be fun.

Need to learn about pressure fed fuel systems.

Stay tuned... questions will be forth coming.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: My new project
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
              Ha ha ha that looks great Paul,  how does it balance? The balance should be at or slightly behind the spar with your engine. I flew it with a Norvel .049. My first engine was a AP .061 with my mod on it. All of these engine weigh extremely different. You would be amazed at the differences. The last engine I flew that plane with was the Norvel. I believe that is why I had the 1/4 oz. tied to the tail. Originally to get the AP to balance I needed 3/4oz in the nose. There is 3/4 oz fiberglassed to the back of the firewall in between the blind nuts that hold the mount. I see you have a Glabreath head which is excellent. For a prop, use a Cox 5x3 black "rubber ducky". Start with the 5x3 and you can cut 1/4" off each tip until you really get her screaming. I ended up with a prop that was about 4 3/8". If it hits the ground no breaking that one.

I would also clip the extension on that needle off flush with the knob. This will prevent damage to the needle and venturi. Line length for competition is 42' center of plane center of handle. We were using .012's with the plane. I hope you can get it in the air it's a lot of fun. For some reasoning, all my Dave Brown mounts would make the engine vibrate and break the mount. This happened to me twice. Maybe my mounts were just old. If I did it again, I was going to drill and tap the plastic composite for the 2-56 screws. I see you have a through hole. I never tried the screws that came with the mounts as they appeared to be nothing more than sheet metal screws. Maybe, I was just drilling a hole too large and the vibrations caused fractures breaking my mounts. Ken

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
I SO wish you guys were coming up here this summer now.   I could get you all set up! 

The baldder should be 1/32 wall bladder tubing.  I will try to get tom to send you a foot.  You need some soft tubing you can pinch.  The stock needle may be OK I went to fine thead needle valves. 
Put fuel tubing over the threads of the needle to stop leaks.

Work with the engine so you can get it to run on prime.  If you can't do that you will have trouble.

Set the needle by pointing the nose down and un clamping the bladder.  you should see a string of drops, about 30 % of a stream on 70% off.    That should be close enough to start.  Clamp the line prime the engine and when it starts on prime, relase the line.  If it goes fat, pinch the line and adjust the needle. 

http://www.clcombat.info/bladder.html

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
I have a pair of Hackers that I got off the bay.  They were setup with uni-flo metal tanks.  Works great with Tee Dee .049 on one.  The other one now has one of the new Cox engines with the plastic back plate.  Both are on suction and plenty fast for this old man using APC 6-3 props on 10% fuel.   Also flying using my Mouse I lines.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here