Author Topic: MVVS?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
MVVS?
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »
Just wondering if anyone recognize this MVVS engine (please see pic).  As far as I could remembered.. it is a .15, and I could see it has a ringed piston.   but what's the model number and what it's best used for?  and is it any good for 80mph combat use?

Thanks in advance.

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: MVVS?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »
Isn't it beautiful? MVVS 2.5 1958. Should have a tufnol disc. The 1959 is similar, but I believe has cast iron disc and the venturi rotated 90deg. clockwise viewed from the rear. An absolutely classic 2.5 speed engine. Probably o.k. for 80mph combat, but rather a waste. If nothing else sell it and use the money to buy 3 or 4 modern Asian 15's which will perform just as well (or  better) in combat.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »
Isn't it beautiful? MVVS 2.5 1958. Should have a tufnol disc. The 1959 is similar, but I believe has cast iron disc and the venturi rotated 90deg. clockwise viewed from the rear. An absolutely classic 2.5 speed engine. Probably o.k. for 80mph combat, but rather a waste. If nothing else sell it and use the money to buy 3 or 4 modern Asian 15's which will perform just as well (or  better) in combat.

Hi Ian,

This is the post that I replied to which was gone when I posted the reply! LL~ LL~ LL~

It well reminds me of the MVVS 5.6 Stunt engine from about 1962, remember?

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
  Probably o.k. for 80mph combat, but rather a waste. If nothing else sell it and use the money to buy 3 or 4 modern Asian 15's which will perform just as well (or  better) in combat.

yeah, I have to agree with you on its sort of a waste to use it for 80mph combat.     

Would you know what its worth?   I'll probably put it up for sale.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
Joe...I would not sell this engine...anyplace except eBay! You will get the best price for it there, by quite a lot. Just speculating, I'd expect over $200, with $300 being reasonable, especially if you have box, literature, and any wrenches, etc. That Fox glowplug has to go, however.  If you can find a Taylor or Enya plug, that should help bring more money...the stranger the better. Try Randy Aero for Enya glowplugs.

It is a little beauty, that's for sure.  y1  Don't mount it, or run it, if you haven't yet.  n1  Good luck flying any combat event against "The Alien"!  LL~ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
I never saw any of these come with any box or literature. As "Factory Specials" thay came as-is if you could get one. Of course a few "escaped" later.

Good point on the plug. Originally it probably had a Czeck 6mm. plug, but looks like it's tapped out to 1/4-32 now.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »
Joe...I would not sell this engine...anyplace except eBay! You will get the best price for it there, by quite a lot. Just speculating, I'd expect over $200, with $300 being reasonable, especially if you have box, literature, and any wrenches, etc. That Fox glowplug has to go, however.  If you can find a Taylor or Enya plug, that should help bring more money...the stranger the better. Try Randy Aero for Enya glowplugs.

It is a little beauty, that's for sure.  y1  Don't mount it, or run it, if you haven't yet.  n1  Good luck flying any combat event against "The Alien"!  LL~ Steve 

Thanks Steve, Looks like i should get my account set up to sell stuff on Ebay. the Fox plug that's on there was just so i could check the compression, which was actually quite good.

Would be interesting to fly combat against Mel..  ;D specially the last time i flew .15 combat was in 1974.  :o LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here