News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kit bashing Combat Cats  (Read 1345 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Kit bashing Combat Cats
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
I have two kits of this and both semi complete. One was missing ribs but made new ones. Cut some new spars and in process of making L/E straight. Both were bowed but wood was in good shape. If my plan doesn't work I have several L/E like the VooDoo and go from there. I have four Johnson C/S and have run all of them. I will run them on low pressure bladder and run restrictor. I made two piece restrictors so I could increase the volume of air easily. I also have my original Veco C/S from early 60's. It has good compression and runs fine.
  I have played with these long enough and time to build them. Might even silk one of them. Nice thing they stack easy and take very little room. I haven't seen any Johnson Powered combat ship since Hi-School. I put a J C/S in a Ringmaster for fun and it was quick. Engine ran very smooth and powerful. It drank some fuel big time.
  This is a treat to myself as I have wanted to do this for a long time.  I was going to do VooDoo's but C/Cat has 20% more wing area and thicker wing. Back in the day we used pressure and Veco tanks. Bladder in a tube inside wing gives bigger fuel cap. and more reliable setting. A few years back got a bunch of OS .10 nva's remote. Anyway just for fun.  o2oP j1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Kit bashing Combat Cats
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »
Back in the day I built the Combat Cats.  One was powered the K&B 1962 .35.   Crankshaft did not last long doing combat maneuvers.  Second one had Fox Combat Special.   Never got to fly a match with them as I destroyed both horsing around.  By then the double VooDoo kits were out on the shelves.   The Cats were fast for their size. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
One suggestion: Center the motor mount in the wing vertically; cutting the notch into the LE to clear the lower beam is just asking for trouble.

I loved the way CCs flew, with that thick wing.  It and the Equalizer were my favorite combat planes, for the same reason. Nice thick stunt-type airfoils, generous wing area for the era.  they turned really tight. You'll have lots of fun with them.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
Mine were box stock as so many of my planes.  But, what did I know back then.  I was a kid fresh off the farm. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
so was my first one...after it folded the wings I quit notching that LE.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »
Back in the day we did not have carbon veil or glass to add strenght. I may make one stock and other look like the Cat but built like a Voodoo around engine bearers. just got some check valves/ t- fittings/bladder material. Just about ready to build. Should be fun.
Dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here