News:

• May 07, 2024, 01:15:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hawker Typhoon  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Brad Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Hawker Typhoon
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
Im building a Hawker Typhoon for WW II combat it has a foam wing what can i cover it with that i can paint, and should i put wing mounted gear in it thanks? Brad
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hawker Typhoon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »
PM Bill Bischof who is a member on here.   He posts in the carrier section mainly.   He has a method of doing foam wings which is great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
Get some of Phil Cartier's SLC covering .  It's made for foam (low temp) and is paintable.  http://home.earthlink.net/~philcartier/
Chuck Winget

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »
Wet silkspan applied with 50/50 white glue water is easy/ strong covering. Then you can rattle can finish. No plastic film and cleans up real easy. Adds alot of strength to wing.

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
Wet silkspan applied with 50/50 white glue water is easy/ strong covering. Can you paint right over this after it drys wount beeld thru to the foam?
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:43:12 PM »
We found that one layer of paper and glue is NOT a sufficient barrier to protect the foam from paint. Please go to the Paint and Finishing section, and look for the topic "What film covering to use..." started by Joseph Patterson. My reply (#10)describes how to cover a foam wing with silkspan. If you want a painted finish, apply Corehouse SLC covering over the silkspan, then paint over the SLC. You will want to make sure that all your seams and edges are well sealed to keep the paint from getting to the foam. Finish-cure epoxy is good for this. Mix up a small batch and paint the seams with epoxy and a small brush. If you don't have to do a fancy paint job, you can also cover over the silkspan with Econocote, Black Baron film, or other low temp. coverings that don't need to be painted.

I have attached some pix of how I install wing mounted landing gear in a foam wing model of this type. The blocks are 1/2" basswood, drilled and grooved after they are shaped to match the wing contour. This method is plenty strong, as it puts most of the load on the fuselage rather than the foam.

Offline riley wooten

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »
Try white glue thinned with plain rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol instead of water.  I like it much better and it dries a lot faster...
We made that type landing gear mount in one piece.  Makes a great spar brace.
RW

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
I did my first one as one piece. It seemed to require more accuracy than some folks could muster, and so far the two piece ones seem to be holding up fine. Either way...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here