News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has there ever been?  (Read 880 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Has there ever been?
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:00:45 AM »
Has there ever been a combat class that uses one engine, prop and a minimum sq. in. of wing? It seems to me you could have a "limited" class of fast combat. Your flying skill and trickery would really be challenged,with everything else being somewhat equal. It could be a engine hand out event, once your entry is paid, they hand you a engine. maybe even hand you an engine 5 minutes before your match, that would give you a chance to mount it and get a needle setting. After the match you turn it back in. the sponsoring club could probably get a manufacturer to "help" with the purchase of the engines. After the match, auction or sell them off. Just my two bits, we did the same when I raced R/C cars. usually had a great turn out.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Has there ever been?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »
Steve, we tried that back in the early '90's with the Fox .35 stunt engine.Maybe not the best choice of engine for combat.We found that speed limit was a far better concept .Run what you had and fly combat.LA & FP .25's and TT.25's on F2D planes work very well.An even better way to go is the New Zealand rules slow combat .Sport .15's on F2D planes ,F2D size lines ,engines bolt right on ,no model changes needed.Two classes - one airframe.Very neat and tidy and they fly very well.

Brad LaPointe

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »
Sounds like you are describing F2D Steve.  The planes are all very similar in size, the engines are all very similar in power, and they are all bought from the same few manufacturers, and fly on props from the same half dozen molds.

Seriously though, while I still like AMA Fast rules, with the kill- nothing beats the thrill- speed limit contests where you get 4-5 matches that can easily go 4 minutes or more of flying have more thrills and fun.  So I've taken to looking at each cut in a speed limit match as the equivalent of a kill.  If I get one I reset the mental kill counter back to zero and go for another one, all without having to re-fuel, re-start, and worst of all, wait around for another chance to fly.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Club engines,,,
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:41:21 AM »
I've heard that proposal a few times, but nobody has ever tried to do it.  I can think of at least a dozen reasons why not...

1. Cost: Who wants to front money for at least 8 combat engines?
2. Work: Who's going to break in, "equalize", clean, and repair the engines?
3. Failed equalization:  You will find that no matter how hard you try, they still won't be equal.

In most events, one engine rises to the top and the speed is pretty-near equal already, the problem is, they're all too fast.

I prefer one engine classes (such as Fox 35 Stunt or LA25).  You can't jack 'em up too much or they'll blow.  Less effort than timing models all the time in "speed limit".

"Speed Limit" isn't all that equal either.  Some guys are better than others at consistantly getting right on the max allowable speed.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:01:15 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:11:38 PM »
Does anyone in the US fly "vintage" combat anymore? I'm thinking Voodoos and Nemisis with .25s ? I know that for a while in the late 80's and early 90's this was flown in southern Indiana, using older planes.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:18:22 PM »
Speed limit combat like it is flown in the north east is growing as they police it pretty much.  Combat, no matter whatever form takes practice, talent and lots of luck.  I tried 75 mph combat a couple of years ago and could not get rid of the killer instinct.  They had a two losses and you were done.  Thankful for that rule as I didn't have a third airplane.  Besides in speed limit the $25.00 engine has as much chance as the $300.00 engine.  If you want to spend 40 plus dollars for ready to fly planes it is the way to go.  I remember reading in the old WAM rules you were allowed only one airplane per contest.  If it got broke you rebuilt it to continue, if you won the match.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here