News:

• May 07, 2024, 03:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guillotine joins the fleet  (Read 3720 times)

Offline jim welch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Guillotine joins the fleet
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »
Guillotine (ugly) joins the fleet/with flaps (CHAD)..no toes this time 36x Nelson plug modification to the head... #^ H^^
AMA 89335

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Guillotine joins the fleet
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:07 PM »
One of, if not the, first BIG fast combat ships. Has THICK wing. Would turn tighter and quicker than anything I had ever flown before ( back when I was young and still thought I wanted to fly combat!).  It sure was worth it when your skill level isn't all that great, turned fast enough to avoid the ground! :-)

Was a b***ch to build, more like building a stunt ship instead of a combat ship.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:04:14 AM by BillLee »
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Bill, I totally agree with the b.....h to build, though the bosta was bad enough but this one takes the cake.I know they totally turn on a dime from past experiance though.  jim
AMA 89335

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
Real nice, Jim!  H^^ Looks like you used line connectors to attach the stab to the booms like the Chicago guys did at the '72 Nats.  P.S.- I used the flaps on mine, too.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:06 AM »
This is an old thread- I'm sloth to ever get over here to look.  From 1970-1972 I flew on the CMI factory team ( the Guillotine kit maker) and they all used the line connectors at the stab.  We never thought the airplane was much of a chore to built although they sure were more complex than  most of the other combat planes.  I built two in three days just before the '71 Nats.  It did help that Johnny Carr made a nifty wing jig to just slip the parts in and glue.  We all borrowed the jig to knock out a few when needed.  Since all but me were in Des Moines it worked.  I would travel there from KC and spend time each summer staying with and flying with the Millers and helping a little at Johnny's shop.  That's when I'd use the jig.  They were built like a Nobler wing- maybe because they used a Nobler wing rib.  They were built both larger and smaller but the kit size is the best.  I'd still put it up against anything today for the same reasons we used it back then.  And yes the flaps are important.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 06:30:18 PM »
Looks good!  You think it will make it up to NJ?

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
I put a g21 tiger in it and it flys exceptionally well with 1.5 ounces of nose weight...was very tail heavy...c.t. I'm gonna bring 16 planes along with me...maybe more....jim   Dave I agree with ya on the flight characteristics with flaps it's quite fun to fly.....jim H^^
AMA 89335

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »
Jim your ship looks great.  Nose weight?  Never!  Actually we never did that.  I will say I have one now with a stunt engine on it and it's hard these days to keep up with it.  Another problem with the stunt motor- it cuts out on all 'Guilloturns'.  Stops and refires because of the g force on the fuel flow inside the engine.  You CAN just narrow the handle line spacing to tame the response.  Better than changing the trim of the plane.  We found on a couple occasions that the flaps could save our bacon in a new way.  During  a match if the tail got damaged we could just break it off and flip the handle over.  We could finish the match on just the flaps.  Not much maneuvering but sure could clock air time.  When I get time I'll build s new one with a new Fox .36x I have but use a metal tank and go see if I can handle it.  I used the G21 and pacifier in the day but have no more Tigers and a metal tank is just easier for goofing around.  I did watch the Minor boys flying 75 mph combat a while back...? Hmm.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave Morris

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
 Very Nice!  Here is a picture of a modified Bosta I built last Winter. Longer booms to help balance out the k&B 5.8  I recently mounted.   ;D

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »
Nice history lesson on the guillotine team (dave trible.).thanks     and nice bosta (dave morris.).5.8 oughta be a pulling monster...hope you got a good belcrank set up....Jim H^^

my bosta....
AMA 89335

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here