News:

• May 06, 2024, 12:11:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gerber pacifiers at Walmart.....any good?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Gerber pacifiers at Walmart.....any good?
« on: June 05, 2010, 07:57:29 PM »
Has anybody tried the Gerber pacifiers that Wallmart is selling for $2.58 each?  The actual pacifier, after being freed from the plastic parts, looks like the Binky pacifiers we used in the 1960's.  I need some for my old combat planes built with pacifier pods.  Any information you can supply is appreciated........TDurrill    H^^ H^^ H^^

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
Re: Gerber pacifiers at Walmart.....any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:16 PM »
Yep, I've tried the ones at Walmart that look like the old Binkys. Worked fine in this Winder. P.S.--a plywood L.E. center section doubler keeps the wing from folding...

Chad Hill

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »
Hello Chad,

I thought the Gerber pacifiers looked like they would work o.k.  I will pick up a couple the next time I am in Walmart.  I will be using them on several Riley Wooten designs I have left over from the old days.....one VooDoo, several Sneekers and Vampires.  I also have a Winder that I flew in my last combat contest in 1969....all with pacifier pods.  I have 3 Nemesis with bladder compartments.  Over the years, I have had best success with the pacifier fuel system, but I really enjoy flying the Nemesis.....what an airplane!!!!    y1   #^

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »
Hi T.D.,

Yes, the Nemesis was a great bird in those days. I was also fond of the Tyrantula 2 and the Guillotine. Voodoos mounting a Nemesis stab and booms flew surprisingly well, too. The Winder was very nose-heavy with a G21. I thought it flew better with a C35 even though it was slower.

Use some care extracting the plastic innards from those Binky look-a-likes. It was harder than I figured!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:20:15 PM »
Anyone have a picture of the set-up using the Gerber pacifier. Do you just stick some fuel line inside and tie it off? Also do you think this set up could work in a Combat Cat, i can't visualize how to fasten it in that square fuel tank box.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:21:36 AM »
Fuel line on 1/8" brass tubing inserted inside the pacifier's mouth works fine. Wrap with fine wire or a nylon tie-strap. Or try one of the Corehouse bladder fittings. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:01:08 AM »
Flew one contest using  the pacifiers of the time.  They were great when you had someone to help that knew what to do.  That is why I stayed with metal tanks for so long.  The last match I remember very well.  Flying Nemesis kit with Fox Combat Special.  Opponent was Carl Berryman, another hero.  We both got up and leveled off and he asked me if I was ready.  I made the mistake of saying yes.  Then watched my streamer going off across the field.  Forgot about the so called speed limit combat I flew a couple of years ago.  The guys that won never broke level flight.  My two opponents and I went home with broke airplanes.   H^^   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »
The best bet for pacifiers are pipette bulbs.  Lab supply houses have them.  Here is a link that shows an example.  I didn't check prices, but I suspect they are a lot cheaper than the Walmart stuff.

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en&N4=Z615927|SIGMA&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC&cm_sp=DETAIL-GROUP-DETAIL_RELATED_PRODUCT-Customers_Also_Viewed_-_-Z186724|ALDRICH-_-SIGMA|Z615927

Tom

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
I've used the pipette bulbs a lot and I like them.

Cut them down so all that remains is the bulb itself and about a quarter-inch of tubular leadin.  Your fuel line needs to be "fattened up" with several layers of tubing so it fits into the pipette snuggly.  

I like tying off the thing with 1/2 A flying line or similar fishline type thread.  Secure one end of the line to a vise or nail, wrap around the junction a few times, and put tension on the other end with a srewdriver or some other handle device.  Finish with a drop of CA.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:36:40 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Dwayne

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
What size pipette are you using, small, medium or large.
Thanks

Online Tom_Fluker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
If you go to the website, you will see a small one in the top left.  That is what I used.  If you use the long ones, make sure to tie them off lower on the neck.  The goal is to use the bulb part for fuel.  The neck will give funny results thus cutting it off like Paul said is the best way to go.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here