News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: flexy pastic props  (Read 887 times)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
flexy pastic props
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »
I like flexy plastic props for practice and general fooling around.  I am down to my last few Tiapan 8x4's and only have a few cox 5x3 (for 1/2 a. 

Who makes a flexy sport prop that won't break on every contact with the earth?  The only one seem to be the MAS props and they have never worked well for me.  Any ideas?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: flexy pastic props
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »
Dave,
  These I think they may still be available from Australia .Bryce Gibson keeps me in stock ,not sure if he knows someone at the factory .They work great for speed limit.Chances are if you break one you have more problems than a broken prop.

Brad LaPointe

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »
As far as I know, Dale Kirn still has a boxful of the black Cox 5-3s. I use a lot of 'em, too.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:10:48 AM »
I still find these (black nonbreakable Cox 5x3) at my LHS.  Are they supposed to be out of production? Maybe I oughtta buy 'em all up...
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:19 AM »
Keep a watchful eye on the black Cox 5x3 props.  I had one purchased in the late 80s or early 90's in the bottom of my flight box and noticed that even though it was still pliable, when flexed it had multiple stress cracks across both blades.  It seems like all of the nylon props have a fairly short usable lifespan. 

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
Do you remember the old Top Flite nylon props? we had to soak them in boiling water tor re-hydrate them every once in a while. we also used to dye then with ritt dye.

Don

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:56:15 PM »
I like flexy plastic props for practice and general fooling around.  I am down to my last few Tiapan 8x4's and only have a few cox 5x3 (for 1/2 a. 

Who makes a flexy sport prop that won't break on every contact with the earth?  The only one seem to be the MAS props and they have never worked well for me.  Any ideas?

Dave -

Sig still lists the Kavan "Flexible" Nylon (not glass-filled) props in their on-line catalog - from 6-4 on up.  For 1/2A's, I like the Master Airscrew 6-3, cut to about 4.75 inches.  I think it works as well as the Cox, but it isn't going to take a punch into the ground like a Cox black.  They are pretty cheap though at about $1.50.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here