News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:21:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First time combat plane flier  (Read 979 times)

Offline Steven Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
First time combat plane flier
« on: April 21, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
Rung out a Yankee Nipper yesterday. OS 35 Fp with a venturi my father made 35+ years ago( probably for a ST.35).We had 4 different pilots( 2 combat fliers from the '60s, one flier who has just returned to RC and me a definite beginner). I can say without a doubt, that my one flight was by far the most interesting I've had to date. Most of the flights were flown with a 9x6, but I changed to a 9x4 thinking i'd be more able to keep up. Bad move, plane lost tension upwind, then I fell trying to regain tension. I actually saved the plane (loop while sitting)and then turfed it. Minor damage to engine mount and wing( all repaired). The worst part is the covering was looking really ragged so might not get to fly it again until next week.
I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Steve
PS i have 6 more to build
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First time combat plane flier
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
Live and learn.  At least I hope you are having fun doing it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
The onlookers were concerned because I didn't get right back up. I was to busy laughing.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 08:20:17 AM »
Hi Steve,

You want to put a prop on that 35 FP so that you get 70 MPH air speed. We have a few guys using 40 FP's and 40 LA' successfully around here. APC 9x4 works on OS32sx and Magnum 32's, with about 0.25" venturi and bladder tank.

-Chris

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
 Just sport flying for now. The 9x4 was on it when I turfed it. The 9x6 gave better line tension(probably need a little more engine offset, have since adde 1/4 oz tip wt.) My father wants something equal or better than his Voodoos of the 60s and early 70s. Hopefully if it will turn tighter than he remembers he won't see that it is slower. I'm using 60' lines and leadouts(62' 3" total), timed with a wrist watch at 10 sec for 2 laps.

Thanks
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Jim Carpenter

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »
Hello, my name is James Carpenter or OldRustyLines@aol.com; I have full information on the Yankee Nipper since I designed this airplane over 9 years ago.  I'm sure I can help you out with the performance of this airplane as I have built over 50 of them for myself and other people and most of them are still flying.  The airplane is specifically designed for speed limit combat, 70 to 80 mph; in this area everyone runs 9/4 props however a 9/6 will put you in the 80 mph range; of course the king of the speed limit engines is the OS 32 SX which unfortunitly not being made any more but speed limit opens it up to many engines.  As far as comparing a Nipper to a VooDoo is like comparing a Corvette to a Model T, the old 50s to 60s stuff went fast but turning was another story.  I started flying combat in 1955 and I am still flying combat today, by the way I will be 71 in July; I guess it comes under the heading of "never give up!".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:40:52 AM »
Are you the same Carpenter that designed the "Super Swoop" for Sterling.  I had one that I extended the booms on and it flew great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:32:47 PM »
I somehow by some miracle on this earth was able to get the great Combat Kittens off of ebay a couple of years back for a massive $30!!!!  Has enough wood in it for 3 planes!!

My dad of great 53 years old told me many war stories with the kittens. He freaked when I showed up with the Kit and a 1/2 at his house.  I plan or hope to get to kinkos or somewhere nearby and making a few copies!!! THis is one kit that definately needs to be reproduced!!!

Now to keep a sharp eye out for the Combat Cats!

Offline Jim Carpenter

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 05:36:48 AM »
"Doc", The "Super Swoop", the designer of it was no relation but I did build one along with the rest of the combat kits known to man.  I really can't remember how it flew but I remember the designers name and my name was a big joke at the time, thanks for asking.  Jim  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here