News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:58:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cyclon Top15  (Read 1496 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cyclon Top15
« on: October 05, 2007, 08:19:11 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of the newest Cyclon F2D combat engine I got.  Seems like Alexsandr Kalmykov builds a new one every season.  The last couple of years(PC-7, PC-8) have been world class.  The Top15 looks world class.  The case is a beautiful investment casting.  The machining and piston/liner fit is top notch.  The right hand side shows a good way to mount a muffler retainer.  The muffler is a really tight fit, but will fall off in flight without a positive retainer.  Just a piece of 1/16 in. music wire with some silicon fuel line on the loop that fits over the muffler.  Another nice detail on the engine- the muffler outlet has a nice lip on it to help keep the retainer in place.  Other thoughtful niceties- the prop driver, plug, and backplate all use a 3/8 in. wrench, so you don't need to go hunting for multiple tools to service the engine.  A 3mm allen screw wrench for the mounting bolts, a 3/8in socket, and the head clamp wrench are all that is needed.(I really dislike the common method of a couple slots in the back plate for removal).

Initial runs look very promising.  The two I've broken in seem to run on a par with the two AKM's I got a couple years ago. They do better with slightly shorter props, holding the rpm's in maneuvers better without sacrficing level flight speed.  29,000 rpm would do a good job in an ultrasonic cleaner though.

Great fun trying to do nice cloverleafs and RWO.  Square eights are harder.  I've already landed a couple times by accident.

Speaking of landing, the popular foam leading edge/rib construction on most F2D planes is a real bear for maintainence.  It doesn't take much at all to punch a hole in the covering on landing.  And on most the covering is not really glued down to the airframe, so the slightest fuel spill around the engine starts fuel leaking under the covering.  I fuel-proofed a few by soaking all the likely seams for fuel to hit by pouring water-based urethane on and wiping the excess off.  That seemed to help a lot.
phil Cartier

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
Re: Cyclon Top15
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 05:28:02 AM »
Is the photo reversed, or is the exhaust on the wrong side?

If is is on the bottom, how does it fit a standard F2d airplane with the notch for the muffler in the top?   

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:22:39 AM »
Hi Dave, if you can read the printing on the green graft you see the photo is not reversed.  Unless my eyes deceive me.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:05:19 PM »
The exhaust is not on the "wrong" side, it is on the right side of the motor.  Alexsandr has some very good reasons for doing this.  Fuel draining into the engine after a crash/landing can drain out the exhaust.  It makes a nice landing skid.  It keeps the noise and fumes out of the pitman's face.  It also makes the top of the plane, where most of the pitwork is done, a lot cleaner and easier to work on.  Keeps exhaust oil out of the bladder compartment and pushrod exit.

Cyclon is also selling a variation on the ubiquitous F2D design, the Bond-3.  It comes in several configurations to fit any engine- with a bottom cutout for the Top15, top cutout for Fora, and with a raised thrust line/top cutout for AKM.  I got a few with the engines.  The basic design flys just like all the others(they are all within a few centimeters of each other) once it is trimmed.  There was too much tip weight, so I took it out, cut it up, and used part of it for tail weight.  The tip weight was 12gr.  I left 4 gr. in the tip and put 5 on the tail.
phil Cartier

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:19:20 AM »
thanks, I should have said the bottom side, and I guess you like it. 

I understand the advantages

Does it fit standard F2D airplanes out there with the cutout on the top side, or do I have to buy special airplanes?

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
You don't have to buy special planes(although Kalmykov's are very nice at a competitive price).  You just have to fill in the notch on top and cut a new one on the bottom.  The way the exhaust is laid out, at a 25 deg. angle to the motor, it will fit back tight against the leading edge with only a very small notch in the leading edge wood.

Making a new notch is easy.  cut away some covering.  Chuck a 1 in. sanding drum in your drill.  Sand the foam down to the leading edge and about half an inch down the spar.  Fit a flat sheet of balsa to the back and line the curved section with a piece of 1/16 in. wood.  Seal it up with a few coats of urethane varnish.
phil Cartier

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »
Hi Phil

What size props are you running on the new Cyclon?

Randy

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
I bought a bunch of Seryogin props.  These are usually pink, and also called the Moscow#1, I believe.  164 mm diameter(6.45 in.) with about 95 mm(3.75 in.) pitch.  The actual pitch varies a lot prop to prop, along the blade, and between blades.  The Top15 runs better owith the tips trimmed to 157 mm.   Just snd the curve to shape and taper the tip to match.
phil Cartier

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 01:45:33 AM »
Randy, what's a nice boy like you doing in a topic like this?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 07:11:16 AM »
Randy, what's a nice boy like you doing in a topic like this?

HI Howard

I flew combat for many years..years ago. I still have planes here..and a few Cyclon engines..plus a few more goodies you would approve of ;D

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here