News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CS Sport .28  (Read 1034 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
CS Sport .28
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:37:58 AM »
Found this engine for only 50 bucks anyone know anything about them? If they are any good it could make for a cheap speed limit engine.
http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=124&products_id=845
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:42:58 AM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: CS Sport .28
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:51:17 AM »
You know, that link opens with your (or somebody's) account, home address & all.

It would be nice if they included "tech notes" like Tower Hobbies, with the weight & other details.  Somebody just needs to buy one & post a report. 
Paul Smith

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:41:38 AM »
You know, that link opens with your (or somebody's) account, home address & all.

It would be nice if they included "tech notes" like Tower Hobbies, with the weight & other details.  Somebody just needs to buy one & post a report. 

Wow i have no idea who that is but I signed out and replaced the link...GOOD CATCH Paul!! y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1 y1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:45:52 AM »
The head looks a little strange, but should do the job with minor modifications to it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:38:34 PM »
Ordered one... not that I need another toy.   Hopefully CS has most of their quality control issues resolved.   
Bob

Dwayne

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:33:50 AM »
Ordered one... not that I need another toy.   Hopefully CS has most of their quality control issues resolved.   
Bob

I'm thinking of doing the same but what issues are you talking about?
Thanks
Dwayne

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:15:58 PM »
CS engines about 10 years ago were known for poor quality control and fitting at the factory.   Generally the design was quite good but the machining and assembly was not.   You could get a world beater from them or an engine that did not run.   With the seller located here in the states I feel comfortable if the engine is a serious dud that I can get it repaired or replaced.   If this turns out well I may look into getting their F2D combat motors.

Bob

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 07:23:44 PM »
One more comment on Hobbyclub.   They have several smaller size CL engines in their mix including OS25's and some really interesting engines in the 09 to 12 (2cc) range.   
Bob

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 04:55:13 AM »
CS engines about 10 years ago were known for poor quality control and fitting at the factory.   Generally the design was quite good but the machining and assembly was not.   You could get a world beater from them or an engine that did not run.   With the seller located here in the states I feel comfortable if the engine is a serious dud that I can get it repaired or replaced.   If this turns out well I may look into getting their F2D combat motors.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
Got the engine but have not run it yet (three inches of snow yesterday and three more forecast for tomorrow and over a foot still on the ground since December have put a damper on outdoor activity).   
My observations... generally good but some potential concerns.   The engine comes in cardboard box and wrapped in bubble wrap.  There are no instructions of any kind in the box.   Also no glow plug.   Visually the exterior is very high quality with good castings.   The overall design looks like a world beater.
Now the little things (or maybe not so little).   The prop nut was on the engine very tightly and the piston was stuck at top center when I got the engine out of the box.    A few minutes in the oven set at the lowest setting (about 180 degrees) and the piston loosened up.   I  then inserted a bamboo strip into the exaust and used a wrench to loosen the prop nut.  (bamboo because afterall it is a Chinese engine!)   The bamboo works well as it is softer than either the piston or sleeve and the bamboo would have broken first if the nut didnt come loose.   
The carb (which I will just lock in place for the first few flights) has a very loose feel with the throttle having enough play in it that getting a good transition from slow to fast may be a problem due to air bleeding in unevenly. 

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 11:10:42 AM »
Sorry had to put this in two pieces... must be a size limit.    Anyway since CL is generally flown fixed throttle it will not make much diffence to me... (I will probably have Jim Lee make a venturi if the engine runs well).   
Now here is where I start getting concerned and only running the engine will tell me if there is a problem.   With everything loose I could lower the piston all the way.   When I looked in thru the exaust the opposite wall of the cylinder had a rough look from machining.   This is a brass cylinder with what looks to be chrome plating.    It turn over very smoothly and the cylinder is clearly tapered from the feel (it gets tight at the top) so it may not present a problem but I will be using Sig fuel with at least 20% oil and half of that castor for running.... I was just surprized the machining was still visible thru the chrome finish.   
It may be awhile till I can run the engine so if anyone else has an opportunity please post your experience.   We have over 2 foot of snow on the ground at the flying field and have not had a day over 35 degrees since mid December.... At this rate we should be able to fly in April or May....

Bob Furr

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:27:35 PM »
Bob, seeing machining marks through the chrome seems a bit excessive, but if the inside of the bore is "level", the marks just become oil retaining grooves.  A lot of time special honing finishes are used to do the same thing.

What really kills performance is a large groove down the sleeve and piston, as happens when a circlip gets loose.
phil Cartier

Dwayne

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »
Thanks for the report Bob keep us posted.
Dwayne

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
More snow just south of here today and temps this week are supposed to drop into single digits... not good engine testing weather at all.
Sigh
Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here