News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Converted Pattern Bat  (Read 1247 times)

Steve Kientz

• Trade Count: (0)
Converted Pattern Bat
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:46:51 PM »
I was given a R/C Pattern Bat (partially finshed) by a good friend. He thought it could be converted to C/L fairly easy. I'm to the point where I need to decide about a powerplant. The motor mounts are sized to where a OS 15 LAS I have will fit. As a R/C plane these were flown with .11 size engines. My question is, at 366 sq. in. is this to big or heavy for a .15? The plans show a  2 oz. tank,plenty of room for that. For the bellcrank mount I used two 1/4" hardwood square dowels and ply, this ties the engine mount and tail assembly together. I'm trying not to and any more weight to the structure than I have to. I do have a spare OS .25 LAS I could use . This plane is for sport flying only. I know several old combat flyers that like to tear up the skies, but usually only fly several minutes at a time.
Any advice would be helpful.

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Converted Pattern Bat
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
In my opinion that should work great on 52 foot .012 lines.  Let us know how it goes.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Iskandar Taib

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 05:01:26 AM »
366 sq. in. is actually a little small by modern standards for a .15. The important thing is - what does it weigh?

Steve Kientz

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
I haven't had a chance to finish the airframe, just started a new job. Most of it was completed when I inherited it. I plan on using ultra cote and very little paint on the engine mount and tail. will post once i get it covered and painted.

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
As the kid keeps saying, "Is it done yet"?.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Steve Kientz

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »
I haven't got back in the shop since our deer hunting season started. For those interested we did put three bucks in the freezer. My father( age 68) is still on top of his game,shot a nice 11 pointer that we could hardly lift into his KAW mule. Probably back to work on the Bat after Christmas.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
I have one of those kits and have thought a few times of converting it. Another one of those things for 'one day'
Dennis

Steve Kientz

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »
I should be back at the workbench sometime the week of Christmas,had to migrate back to the basement from the garage. I still have to sand and machine in the garage ,can't afford to upset the Mrs.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 01:34:47 PM »
Well behind schedule but here is what I have so far. The wing is a Blackhawk Demon that I need to finish( my fathers plane).
Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here