News:

• May 05, 2024, 10:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Special props  (Read 1292 times)

Dwayne

• Trade Count: (0)
Combat Special props
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »
I have an old Fox Mk 4 combat special I'd like to use again, I used to use Tipan or Rev Up props, what are good props now, is APC ok?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:06:29 AM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Combat Special props
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »
APC's are generally OK.  If it is an iron piston engine use the competition props, which have more, longer glass in them for strength. The extra vibration from the piston can fatigue the plastic.  With an ABC motor their sport props work fine.  Nothing is wrong with wood props either, if you can find a reasonable size.  the Top Flite  9/5 or 9/6 Power Point should work.  Master Airscrew makes some decent wood props too, 9/4 to 9/6
phil Cartier

Dwayne

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
Thanks Phil that's all I needed to know.

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »
8x6 Taipan works well.The cuff on the back of the prop made setting the needle a challange.9x6 black Masterairscrew cut down to 8 1/4 worked well .These props are much more rugged than APC's .

Brad

Dwayne

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:32:52 PM »
8x6 Taipan works well.The cuff on the back of the prop made setting the needle a challange.9x6 black Masterairscrew cut down to 8 1/4 worked well .These props are much more rugged than APC's .

Brad

I did'nt know Taipan still made props if so where do I get them? Also I use a remote needle and I would never use a black Masterairscrew on a .36 combat engine.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:06:15 PM by Dwayne Donnelly »

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »
 Taipan's are not around any more.The black Master airscrew worked well on slow combat planes .Never saw a failure and the big paddle worked well at the slower prop speeds on the slows.Master airscrew makes a 8x6 scimitar "combat" prop with a solid hub.At least they used to.

Brad

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:32 AM »
Melvin Schuette still lists Taipans --

Taipan Props
7114 Taipan 10 X 4 Prop $3.10
7116 Taipan 10 X 6 Prop $3.10
7174 Taipan 7 X 4 Prop (Black) $2.30
7175 Taipan 7 X 4 Prop (white) $2.30
7177 Taipan 7 X 6 Prop (White) $2.30
7184 Taipan 8 X 4 Prop (Black) $2.50
7194 Taipan 9 X 4 Prop (Black) $2.70
7196 Taipan 9 X 6 Prop (Black) $2.70

at:

http://www.mbsmodelsupply.com

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Dwayne

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
Melvin Schuette still lists Taipans --

Taipan Props
7114 Taipan 10 X 4 Prop $3.10
7116 Taipan 10 X 6 Prop $3.10
7174 Taipan 7 X 4 Prop (Black) $2.30
7175 Taipan 7 X 4 Prop (white) $2.30
7177 Taipan 7 X 6 Prop (White) $2.30
7184 Taipan 8 X 4 Prop (Black) $2.50
7194 Taipan 9 X 4 Prop (Black) $2.70
7196 Taipan 9 X 6 Prop (Black) $2.70

at:

http://www.mbsmodelsupply.com

Hey thanks Mike I had no idea you could still get them!  y1 <= #^

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
           Recently, I was at the field with a bunch of club members who indeed were running some of the Fox mk series engines. I myself was using a mkIII. The other was using a mk IV. While I was getting set up the other fellow had his wing already in the air with the mkIV singing away. He was using a Taipan 8x6 due to that being the prop of choice some time back. I myself was using a black Tornado 8x8. He was doing some maneuvers then while returning back to level flight you heard this loud funny noise then the engine went into a screaming high rev then quit. No one realized what happened until it landed when we noticed there was only one blade on the prop. This particular prop was a gray colored Taipan. We do have some in black though. Once the engine went into the higher revs with one blade it shook so much the fuel line and spraybar vibrated off and out of the case which was probably a good thing. I don't know if this was a fluke or just the reality that this older prop couldn't take this engine. We both have switched to using APC 8x8's and I just read a similar post over on Stuka Stunt. I would think that a newer style prop of the size required would be the best choice at least for safety reasons.  Ken

Offline Clayton Smith

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »
I have an old Fox Mk 4 combat special I'd like to use again, I used to use Tipan or Rev Up props, what are good props now, is APC ok?
Thanks

Are you running the Mark IV on suction or pressure.  Makes a big difference in prop selection.    In any case an 8" pitch is way too much for a Schnurle type combat engine.  Use 9/5", 9/6" or 8/6 for suction. Taipan Black composite for suction is fine.  For pressure a 7.8/6 APC D1, 8/6 wood, 9.5/5 wood.  Do not use Taipan on pressure.

Never experienced a prop failure running a stock Mark IV on suction that includes nearly every brand of prop available.
Clayton Smith
AMA 16879
High Point, NC

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
I have been trying the wood master airscrew 10x6 as a replacement for my last 2 TF power prop 10X6 and find they are at least very close to the TFs with the little bit of testing the rain has allowed.

This is encouraging for the rare occasion that I might fly a combat plane with a ST.35 and Fox MKI CBS in that I can use the 9x6 master in wood to replace my last few 9X6 rev ups and pp.
I will leave the 9X6-6.5 Aldrich props in the box!

The 8X8 vs 9X6.......never did understand the use of the 8X8s....The airplane will slow down in turns! The engine might not but the airplane will! The slowing down just never seemed worth the 2-3mph gain in level flight from the 8X8.
The extra 1/2 inch per side might just reach out and get an extra cut as well!
Try it ---you will like it. #^

I do need to try the new power point props that Phil suggest.

Phil
Can you answer my problem in the following?

I stopped flying the year that the shiny case simi schnurles were used at the Nats so dont really know what the first 6 bolt back plate engines were called, I assume MKI. I do have 3 of these and the main thing I know is after about 10 runs the front of the crank sheared off the one I did try. And it made more power than the G-21.

Will the later cranks fit? Kind of scare to run the other 2 until something can be done with the cranks. HB~>

Thanks
David

David Roland

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:51 AM »
Dave,  I think the last of the X series motors were considered the Mk I, but never marketed as such.  The shiny case schneurle motor was the Mk II, but never designated as such.  The first ones with the tall back plate were the Mark III.  The first run especially had problems with shafts breaking due to the prop driver cutting into the radius between the half inch shaft and the quarter inch prop shaft.  Any shaft that is the right length should work if you make sure the prop driver isn't cutting into it. 

I never kept close track of the various changes in the shafts.  They did fix the problem in the III, but it would still break shafts across the port if it was running really well.  The Mk IV has a longer shaft, and so do the rest of the later versions.  The best one was the ABC Mk VI, and the hundred or so Mk VII's with the aluminum sleeve.  The VI and VII had larger shafts which pretty well cured the breakage problem.
phil Cartier

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »
Only a hundred or so Fox Mk 7s made, that's interesting. Anybody have an idea how many Wiley 36s were made? Just curious, I have one of each.

Chad Hill

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
Phil
Just drug out a shiny case still new in box.
Box is labled "Fox Combat Special 13700"
The crank case is marked FOX 36X!

The original .36X B.B. and needle version was the MKI then?

Was there a .36 ever done in the .29X bushing case?

First run of the 6 bolt?---we got the first case!!!(part of the deal made with Duke at 75 Nats)

I will look close at the shaft and drive area. Sounds like a bevel on the drive washer might do the trick?
Breaking across the port should be curable by stress reliving, radius and polishing internal of the crank and window.

Sure do want to run these engines but do not want to blow em! HB~>

Wonder if the old X cranks or the shiny case cranks will fit? Have spares of these.

David
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here