News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Combat Cats  (Read 9116 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Combat Cats
« on: February 01, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
Finishing a vintage build. Fox .36X's on a bladder for power.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Combat Cats
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:17:02 PM »
Looks good.  Now I may have to build the one I have.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
Looks good.  Now I may have to build the one I have.
The wood was awful but I used it anyway. I  saw these in the hobby shop growing up and always wanted them. Probably not the best choice for a Vintage build but the kit was free so what the hell. Next old school combat build will be a Sneeker. I scored an Umland laser cut kit a while back. Anything has to be 100 times better than the lumber that was in this old Top Flite kit.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
Looking good Mike!

I have an addiction  to vintage combat planes!

Tom
AMA 13001

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
I built one of those Cats a couple of years ago and it's fun to fly. However the Stab on mine was not up to the task as it snapped mid flite. Luckily the plane kind of stalled out and fluttered to the ground doing minimal damage. Maybe it was too fast? G-21 .35. The boys had it timed at 15.2 on that flight. Should be ok with the Fox!  I also built the Umland Sneeker. Lovely!  Fox powered.     TS

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 08:24:51 PM »
I built one of those Cats a couple of years ago and it's fun to fly. However the Stab on mine was not up to the task as it snapped mid flite. Luckily the plane kind of stalled out and fluttered to the ground doing minimal damage. Maybe it was too fast? G-21 .35. The boys had it timed at 15.2 on that flight. Should be ok with the Fox!  I also built the Umland Sneeker. Lovely!  Fox powered.     TS
Did you cover the stab with anything or just paint it? I used polyspan and dope on these hoping to stiffen them up.  If they break in flight I hope at least I catch it on video.lol

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »
I used carbon veil . No structure there. My flight is on tape somewhere (maybe here on the forum) but I think it shut off right before the 'incident'. New stabilator is 3/16.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »
On all twin boom planes the accepted fix was to use one continuous hinge rod in lieu of the two little rods.  This helped alleviate the high speed failure and also flipper-clipping.
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 08:49:53 AM »
Nice Mike.  A friend built a couple of them as a senior and did quite well.  With more chord they fly well.  The LE was a bit of a weak point so after the first one broke most people moved the mount down so the LE could be one piece.
phil Cartier

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Done and done.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
They look nice.   May have to pull the kit down and clone it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »
Good stuff Mike...and the airplane holder looks like hes growing fast ;D..heres an old one with veco c35...jim
AMA 89335

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »
Those models look great and if anyone can make em shake it is Mike.  Hi Sam!!!  I have a Combat Cat built by Eddy Ruane covered in silk,  may just have to put the Fox I have "built" by Jimmy Welch on it and try it out some day.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »
They look nice.   May have to pull the kit down and clone it.
  Thanks Doc!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
Good stuff Mike...and the airplane holder looks like hes growing fast ;D..heres an old one with veco c35...jim
  Jim, One of the Cats has a .36X I bought from you!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
Those models look great and if anyone can make em shake it is Mike.  Hi Sam!!!  I have a Combat Cat built by Eddy Ruane covered in silk,  may just have to put the Fox I have "built" by Jimmy Welch on it and try it out some day.
  Vintage Combat Ray?

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
Cool Mike should be a good flyer for an old design..no Nemisis but pretty good..Ray put the airplane togeather and fly it...it will help your reflexes for the squares in the pattern....few more  jim              bad EVO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
AMA 89335

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »
xxxxxxx
AMA 89335

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
xxxx backwards fox
AMA 89335

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
AMA 89335

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »
Cat's are cool.  Here's mine...

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:39 AM »
    Hey Andre! Looks just like the box art!! I'm mainly a stunt guy, but have always liked combat and the classic older airplanes. I have most , maybe all, of the popular commercial kits. I let some one beat me out of my Sneaker kit, though, and need to find a deal on another one. I have a double kit of the Cat and Voodoo, and want to build those, but maybe just Fox .35 Stunt powered, or some of the older Fox combat .35s that I have in my stash, and fed with hard tanks for simplicity. I think they will be fun enough for me, and get the indea to family and friends what they were all about. I build a Goldberg Junior Satan back in my younger days, and will have to include that one in the mix also. But the Combat Cat just had a real neat look to it and will probably get built first, if I ever get one of those Round Tuits!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 07:09:16 AM »

Hi 'ya Dan the man!

As for "looks just like the box art": Yup, that was on purpose.  Thought the box art was a snazzy looking paint scheme, so I tried to replicate it.

You have "most, maybe all" of the popular commercial kits?  Now that's pretty cool.  At this point I only have a Sterling Super Swoop, and an early Voodoo kit (not the adulterated "modernized" Voodoo kit w/elongated tail booms).  Most of my interest in vintage combat airplanes are the planes from the 60s.  Because of my nostalgia-fueled reasons for my like of vintage combat planes, I lose interest pretty quick after the advent foam/etc. (Mid-70s.) Yes, I flew n' fought with foamies, but nostalgic about them? No way. Utilitarian no longer appeals to me. Instead, I like the stylized combat airplanes of yore.

Speaking of Voodoo's..

My last Voodoo met with a glorious fate: The outboard wing folded during an exhibition flight at a C/L contest. At the time it was my favorite vintage winged warrior and it truly pained me to see it go.  I had it trimmed (weighted) nearly perfectly, and the X motor on the nose was a dandy. It flew straight and true and turned quite good.  It was my "go to" airplane and I put in a bunch of flights on it. Unfortunately, it had a very soft leading edge piece that I just didn't anticipate issues with, and the LE eventually fatigued and failed at the motor pod.  I need to build another.

I wouldn't mind gathering up some more vintage kits, but I doubt I'll actually build the kits, instead preferring to "clone it" if possible by using the plans/parts to scratch build a replica like I have some of my others. With the Cat, though, that routed TE/LE make scratching one a hassle, so I just used the kit parts and built one.

Sneaker: I have a Walter Umland repli-kit for a Sneaker.  Very good quality.  However, I don't recall the original Sneaker having the short nose mounts ala' the Nemesis 2.  Instead I "think" I recall them having a full length nacelle pod as was the thing "back then".  I will probably shuck the truncated nose pod parts and replace with a full-length nacelle pod assembly.

My "happy place" in C/L is building and flying vintage combat planes. Stunt looks like it could be sort of fun... but long ago lost interest in getting competitive with my hobby of C/L.

Here's a pic of my late Voodoo:

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
Hi 'ya Dan the man!

As for "looks just like the box art": Yup, that was on purpose.  Thought the box art was a snazzy looking paint scheme, so I tried to replicate it.

You have "most, maybe all" of the popular commercial kits?  Now that's pretty cool.  At this point I only have a Sterling Super Swoop, and an early Voodoo kit (not the adulterated "modernized" Voodoo kit w/elongated tail booms).  Most of my interest in vintage combat airplanes are the planes from the 60s.  Because of my nostalgia-fueled reasons for my like of vintage combat planes, I lose interest pretty quick after the advent foam/etc. (Mid-70s.) Yes, I flew n' fought with foamies, but nostalgic about them? No way. Utilitarian no longer appeals to me. Instead, I like the stylized combat airplanes of yore.

Speaking of Voodoo's..

My last Voodoo met with a glorious fate: The outboard wing folded during an exhibition flight at a C/L contest. At the time it was my favorite vintage winged warrior and it truly pained me to see it go.  I had it trimmed (weighted) nearly perfectly, and the X motor on the nose was a dandy. It flew straight and true and turned quite good.  It was my "go to" airplane and I put in a bunch of flights on it. Unfortunately, it had a very soft leading edge piece that I just didn't anticipate issues with, and the LE eventually fatigued and failed at the motor pod.  I need to build another.

I wouldn't mind gathering up some more vintage kits, but I doubt I'll actually build the kits, instead preferring to "clone it" if possible by using the plans/parts to scratch build a replica like I have some of my others. With the Cat, though, that routed TE/LE make scratching one a hassle, so I just used the kit parts and built one.

Sneaker: I have a Walter Umland repli-kit for a Sneaker.  Very good quality.  However, I don't recall the original Sneaker having the short nose mounts ala' the Nemesis 2.  Instead I "think" I recall them having a full length nacelle pod as was the thing "back then".  I will probably shuck the truncated nose pod parts and replace with a full-length nacelle pod assembly.

My "happy place" in C/L is building and flying vintage combat planes. Stunt looks like it could be sort of fun... but long ago lost interest in getting competitive with my hobby of C/L.

Here's a pic of my late Voodoo:

Nice pics Andre, If you are ever passing through Nashville hit me up! Mike

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »
Thanks Mike for the compliment and open door!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here